• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
No he said it uses 1.5 cores so on low threaded it's hitting that.

Then he said as the game goes on the clocks speed lowers again.

That could be temps rising.

Have a look at his pic though, all of his cores have hit that same speed, so its either cycled through all the cores pushing them all to that, or more likely at some point ALL the cores hit that boost speed.

None the less, my point remains, on an X370 board XFR etc seems to be working fine if your cooling allows.

Soldato
Are you implying that an 2700x in an x370 board will only boost to xfr1 speeds? And not to the 4.35GHz on one core that XFR2 is capable of?
X370 is functionally identical to X470 provided your BIOS is up to date. The only differences are StorMI technology (useless for enthusiasts) and a better VRM and heatsink on the highest end X470 boards.

XFR2 and Precision boost 2 will work fine and there is very little point to overclock as these 2700X chips are near the limit out of the box anyway. Your BIOS was updated 3 days ago, use that and you will be fine: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Achievable memory speed is mostly down to CPU IMC quality, good BIOS engineering helps too.

Soldato
OP
This kinda backs up what i was saying, guys running a 2700X on a CH6 but using a decent AIO and fans

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8dm0ie/ryzen_2700x_and_windows_10_game_mode_allows_for/

4.4ghz all core boosting in games, this is the Precision Boost and XFR stuff at work here because his thermals and power delivery allow this to happen. I would be suprised to see more people reporting the same on decent setups, infact AMD originally said with Ryzen that the better cooling you had the better the chips would run, seems 1st Gen Ryzen wasnt really well tuned for this, 2nd Gen Ryzen seems to be able to actually show this off! bodes well for 3rd gen Ryzen too i imagine.

To me the 2700x looks like a brilliant chip, if your cooling allows it, you chip will boost high on single threaded stuff and on multithreaded stuff the cores will all boost up too nice, no real need for manual overclocking.

Where is this 4.4ghz coming from? Because every single review I have seen (even under water) they seem to hit a hard limit of 4.2ghz.

I really can't imagine windows game mode allowing the hardware to go to 4.4.

I really think this must be a software anomaly. Time will tell.

Soldato
Where is this 4.4ghz coming from? Because every single review I have seen (even under water) they seem to hit a hard limit of 4.2ghz.

I really can't imagine windows game mode allowing the hardware to go to 4.4.

I really think this must be a software anomaly. Time will tell.

uhhh 2700x turbo clock is 4.3ghz no? am i mistaken? could be a bug in reporting tool, but if the 2700x boosts to 4.3ghz out of the box, theres a chance it can hit 4.4ghz, probably only on single core or just a couple of them maybe, but that pic showed all cores at 4.381ghz so almost 4.4ghz on all cores, but it could be a reporting error.

Its still well early in the day for Ryzen Gen 2, we need more people with the kit in their hands, as quite frankly a lot of the tech review sites are morons who hardly know their rear from their elbow.

Soldato
Nah most reviewers say 4.2GHz is the max achievable clocks and even AMD say these are what the chips are capable of.

I'd imagine only unicorn golden samples will hit 4.3-4.4GHz if there are any that can do this at all.

Soldato
I'm tempted just to buy it. It fixes two problems I have.

1. Out of the box the 2700x will be faster than my 1700 is at 3.8GHz so no need to faff with overclocking. Not sure how stable it is even at 3.8GHz. It runs, and I've had it run since Sep 17, but did get a hard crash last week which I assumed was ram.

2. I cant run my 8 Pack ram at DOCP 3200MHz stably. Hopefully better IMC on 2700x will solve this.

Soldato
Nah most reviewers say 4.2GHz is the max achievable clocks and even AMD say these are what the chips are capable of.

I'd imagine only unicorn golden samples will hit 4.3-4.4GHz if there are any that can do this at all.

So AMD are lying on the box then and retailers like OCUK need to address this as it clearly states 4.35ghz turbo boost, thats single core i know, but still... Are the reviewers putting an all core OC on the chips? if so all core 4.2ghz its probably not worth the hassle, as i said leave it at stock, let it boost to 4.35ghz+ on lightly threaded stuff and let it all core boost over 4ghz on multithreaded stuff.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...ail-product-will-ship-19-04-18-cp-3ac-am.html

Soldato
So AMD are lying on the box then and retailers like OCUK need to address this as it clearly states 4.35ghz turbo boost, thats single core i know, but still... Are the reviewers putting an all core OC on the chips? if so all core 4.2ghz its probably not worth the hassle, as i said leave it at stock, let it boost to 4.35ghz+ on lightly threaded stuff and let it all core boost over 4ghz on multithreaded stuff.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...ail-product-will-ship-19-04-18-cp-3ac-am.html

Yes. Thats exactly what most reviewers say. Almost no point overclocking.

AMD are not lying. The chips boost one core to 4.35GHz, but all cores are generally only hitting 4.2GHz.

Soldato

guru3d has a 4.4 screenshot: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,29.html

Dunno about max achievable but you definitely run into diminishing returns as you put the voltage up and individual standards of stability and acceptable voltage come into question.

Soldato
Yes. Thats exactly what most reviewers say. Almost no point overclocking.

AMD are not lying. The chips boost one core to 4.35GHz, but all cores are generally only hitting 4.2GHz.

that actually suits me fine, the less time i need to spend fiddling with CPU settings the better, i hated Haswell OC'ing, it was a complete nightmare trying to figure out all the settings, 1700 was easy in comparison, and with Ryzen timing checker for the mem it was easy.

However i love the idea of just leaving the CPU at stock to do its own thing and just slapping the tighter timings in for the ram, if you get issues you know its the ram as everything else is stock.

Soldato
guru3d has a 4.4 screenshot: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,29.html

Dunno about max achievable but you definitely run into diminishing returns as you put the voltage up and individual standards of stability and acceptable voltage come into question.

That's awesome, but is 1.4v really a good 24/7 voltage?

How long will the chip last before it starts to degrade?

Also from gaming benchmarks I didn't notice that much of a difference between the fps between stock and overclocked.

Soldato

Yeah their conclusion states they expect most people to hit 4.2-4.3ghz comfortably at reasonable volts and the golden samples to hit 4.4ghz etc.

Id be more than happy with 4.3ghz boosts, i play MMORGPS and ARPGS, both of which normally only are single or lightly threaded, that performance at 4.3ghz would be 400mhz over my 1700, and with ESO getting some multicore love soon (my main game right now) the other cores would boost up decently too.

Im talking myself into buying a 2700x right now hahah

Soldato

Fairly certain Ryzen 1st Gen was ok to around 1.44v or something, over that youd need to worry. 1.4v wouldnt worry me in the slightest, i can get 4ghz on my 1700 at 1.4v, i run it at 3.9 @ 1.37v at the moment.

Associate

Also from gaming benchmarks I didn't notice that much of a difference between the fps between stock and overclocked.
Doesn't matter... Next year you'll replace it with ryzen 3:D

Associate
So how does the single core boast work? I thought it was just for single thread. But say I'm running bf1 is that classed as lightly threaded? And what does lightly threaded mean? That one core is stacked and just little bits off loaded to the rest?

Just trying to work out if I need to over clock or not

Soldato

You're asking someone who's been running an original i5 with 50% OC since 2009 on 1.4v :p

Anyway if volts are the same as for 1000 series then this might be relevant: https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-cpu-review/2/

Default voltage for manual tuning should start at around 1.3625V, according to AMD. Users should be fine pushing to 1.40V with a decent CPU cooler and up to 1.45V with a high-end dual-tower heatsink or dual-fan AIO radiator. At 1.45V, however, AMD suggests that processor longevity could be affected according to their models.

But that wasn't pinnacle ridge.

More recently and for these chips specifically: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,review-34307-4.html

Since we couldn't smash through to 4.3 GHz without exceeding AMD's 1.40V maximum recommended Vcore setting, we stopped at 4.2 GHz.

So 1.4 is a recommended voltage.

Guess literally whack it to 1.4 and see how it gets on.

Back
Top Bottom