cost of Renting a place on your own outside of London?

Underboss
OP
You don't need a TV licence, I don't have one so that shaves a bit off.

And if TV licence is (if applicable) then surely the same goes for road tax and car insurance.

you dont need a TV licence ?
so if im watching BBC1 i dont have to have a licence to watch it ?

are you pulling my chain, as im pretty sure you have to have one, otherwise your breaking the law?

Underboss
OP
Recently moved into a Studio flat, rough estimation of my outgoings here, if it's any help:

Rent: 700 (inc. elec., no gas)
Council tax: 115
Broadband: 25
Contract: 38
Car insurance: 90
Car insuranceTax: 15
Petrol: 180-200
Food shopping: 150
Social: 200
Total: £1,533.

Needless to say, I've been cutting down going out a lot.

thanks for that mate

Man of Honour

are you pulling my chain, as im pretty sure you have to have one, otherwise your breaking the law?
Probably best to direct you to circle jerk thread in GD where people enjoy being chased for not having a licence, rather than just telling them they’re not watching live TV (and bet most actually do).

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tv-licence-super-thread.18652944/

Caporegime

if you really want to watch BBC1 then you need one

you don't need one for say Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV etc..

Soldato
When i say down south i mean south of Carlisle :p

:D

I'm sure for 700 a month you could buy a street in some parts of the country. A workmate said to me "For that much I could get a 4 bed semi...In Bradford" Would I want to live in Bradford though, no. Bla Bla Bla, you can get a great house for 200k in XYZ. That's wonderful but XYZ is not a desirable place to live, I am looking to buy in city that is on the rise and hopefully property prices that do the same. If I stay there for a few years and decide I want to move out to the country then I can, maybe with a nice profit (as friends have done 5 years ago)

Associate
I would also advise the house share route if you can for your first forray into moving out. Splitting bills etc is a real money saver and having some company/meeting new people can be nice too

Soldato
Rent: 400
Electric: 40
Water : 14
Council tax: 63.50
Broadband: 18
Sky: 22.30
TV License: 6
Phone: 20
Bank account: 10
Train: 100
Food shopping: 400
Social: 200
Clothes: 50
Gym: 37
Toiletries: 20

Total: £1,400

Granted sometimes I spend less on Food shopping but spend more on social / clothes. Bills are for my slip share (so half of total)

Underboss
OP
Thanks all for the replies
so i have found the answer (although i've not re-evaluated my prices) and it's a no. If i was to "rent" a place on my own around here (within 50 miles) I would be loosing money every month. So i guess i will have to stick at it until my help to buy isa is full in 5 years time THEN move (sounds like i need to move up North)

Back
Top Bottom