What film did you watch last night?

Associate
You Were Never Really Here - 5/10

From the synopsis I thought I'd like it more, that it'd be an atmospheric slowburner with a deeper punch, but in the end I just couldn't connect with it. It's not an arthouse picture, but that kind of stylistic choice seemed to be present (at least for me) and I didn't really enjoy it all that much.

Soldato
In the Heart of the Sea (2015) - 9/10
Absolutely excellent film I thought and Thor played his part very well. The story is of Moby Dick and the sinking of the whaling ship, The Essex in 1820. I thought it was a bit rushed towards the end but it was hugely enjoyable and sad at the same time.

Soldato
Just the bit where’s she’s saying they ‘have to survive for the family’ or something, towards the final third of the film.
Hmn, I honestly don't remember that...

Killing of a Sacred Deer - loved it! 8/10 Defintely recommended. The build up of tension as the movie went on to it's inevitable conclusion. Thanks to others for posting this one up!
Is it weird like The Lobster? Was trying to persuade the other half to watch it but all I knew was that it was by the same guy... (I loved The Lobster but I'm not sure my girlfriend liked it as much)

Associate
Hmn, I honestly don't remember that...

Is it weird like The Lobster? Was trying to persuade the other half to watch it but all I knew was that it was by the same guy... (I loved The Lobster but I'm not sure my girlfriend liked it as much)

I haven't seen the lobster, but that's now on my list :) - sorry! - I wouldn't say it was weird exactly and I like weird/quirky movies.

Soldato
Den of Thieves - 7/10 - While this initially seems like a Heat rip-off it's actually got a lot more story going for, almost like a Sorkin style "Oceans 11" multi-twist story with Heat style shoot-outs. Now it's not quite as good as those because the characters feel too flat for realism, the acting is only "OK" which, due to the actors in it is about as good as it could be, although Gerard Butler alone does extremely well as the almost "Biker Gang-Member" police officer who is chasing a bunch of ex-US Marine criminals around LA. The gun fights are convincing and well choreographed and the story is interesting enough that the last twist, if you aren't paying attention to a few minor details at the start, can catch you out! My biggest issue is that, at 2hr 30min it's about 30mins too longs with a section in the middle (bank job) which drags as it has no effect on the story what so ever and almost felt thrown in as a "look how clever I am" by the screenwriter.

Soldato
I haven't seen the lobster, but that's now on my list :) - sorry! - I wouldn't say it was weird exactly and I like weird/quirky movies.
I thoroughly enjoyed the lobster. So different from the norm and not a single person I've recommended (convinced) this to has disliked it and have gone on to recommend (convince) others to watch it

Soldato
The Killing of a Sacred Deer - a lot of love for this at the moment and I will jump on the wagon too. It starts slowly with some oddly stilted conversations but builds up to be weirdly tense. Not as 'out there' as The Lobster but still distinctly odd. I loved it. 5/5

It's on Amazon Prime if anyone was looking for it.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Valerian & the city of a thousand planets - 5/10, visually stunning but Delevingne & DeHaan were so over poweringly wooden & one dimensional they were a major distraction, they just could not carry the movie in any way, shape, or form, special mention has to go to DeHaan who spent the entire movie channeling Keanu Reeves as Neo from the Matrix & failing miserabley in the process, & it's got to be said it comes to some thing when your acted off the screen by a cgi character voiced by John Goodman who gets all of a couple of minutes of screen time early on in the movie.

Associate
Hostiles 8/10 (although I'd maybe dock a point because of Rosamund Pike...probably unfair but I find the way just does weepy, wobbly damsel infuriating).

Enjoyable western that looked lovely, had a good cast with quite a few starring cameos, and was held together by Bale and the relationship he develops with his "captives". You know pretty much exactly what's going to happen from the outset, but the journey is as good as the destination. Worth a watch.

Caporegime
The Killing of a Sacred Deer - a lot of love for this at the moment and I will jump on the wagon too. It starts slowly with some oddly stilted conversations but builds up to be weirdly tense. Not as 'out there' as The Lobster but still distinctly odd. I loved it. 5/5

My friend absolutely hated this, it's so bad he wouldn't stop complaining about it….actually put me right off !

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle?

I did think the Lobster was good, but not the masterpiece some people say it is.

Caporegime

I need to try this again, I turned it off after 20 minutes. But maybe I just wasn't in the mood at all, not just the movie. Infact I've done that with a lot of movies recently!

Associate
Lord of war - 5/10

Wasn’t a bad movie, but wasn’t good either. Some typical Nicholas Cage moments and a pretty interesting story, since it’s based off true events.

Back
Top Bottom