Has anyone used Wix?

Soldato
So I'm in the process of creating a website for my other half and wondered what peoples opinions were on Wix?
I've kind of got to a point on Wix where I'm happy with the design of the site but I haven't yet gone live with it so my options are still open.

The website will be a business website but will do purchases through a 'contact us' method as opposed to buying direct through the site.
It's a small baking business which currently operates through Facebook.

Either way I will probably purchase my domain elsewhere and link it so that I still own it if I decide that Wix isn't for me.

I've seen a lot of people recommending WordPress, but I just wondered what the overall benefits of it were compared to Wix/Squarespace?

Thanks.

Soldato
I've had 3 wordpress sites for family businesses in the past 8 years.

I've just switched over to squarespace after finally losing patience with the sites being hacked, spammed, showing as unsecure on google. Now I'm sure theres something I'm missing with regards to security but the point is, I'm not a web guy and I was just playing at creating websites. I've learned that the hard bit is keeping it secure and I just do not have the time to do that when I'm doing these sites for family as a favour.

I'm not a web developer, just picked up wordpress and a nice few themes and ran with it. You need to make sure it's always up to date and limit the amount of third party plugins (or ensure they are updated asap) and to be honest to an average person, it's a faff to change things (images/text etc). It's simple if you want to know but for your avergae office worker, particularly in small businesses theres just too much going on.

Squarespace on the other hand is a complete breeze. It's manages, good support and security is taken care of for you. Incredibly user friendly too, I even let me dad log in the other day to change some text on his site and I wouldn't have dreamt of doing that on wordpress.

I imagine Wix is the same, if you have a design you like and you want minimal maintenance and eas of use then I'd say stick with that or squarespace.

Soldato
why not use shopify so people can buy automatically instead of having people contact you - which might put people off..
I think that's a business decision, rather than a Wix limitation..

In this case Wix definitely seems the one to go for, considering its ease of use which is perfect for a small business or simple website

Don
I've used Wix in the past. I found it very easy to use and professional looking. The only thing is that the price can seriously add up once you start adding plugins like a forum, RSS feeds, Facebook integration etc.

Back
Top Bottom