The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I'm really tempted to pick up an A73 and use my Canon lenses via an adapter. From reading forums though it looks like the 70-200mkII isn't the best performer. Also to get C-AF you have to drop to low speed as it won't work at high. Focus points appear to only work towards the centre (you don't get the full frame coverage). The little things add up and I've decided to give it a miss and wait to see what Canon are up to. I'll keep the Fuji setup for a while longer yet...

Soldato
I have all my canon lenses too, don’t plan to jump ship, merely adding this body to my canon kit.

Bodies come and go, lenses stay.

And yes, it all works fine. The only lens I found iffy is the 100L macro but it’s a macro so I use it in manual anyway.
Oh I wasn't going to jump ship lens wise, I have a decent collection now (24-70L 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 100L Macro, 135L, 50 1.8 and 24-105L), but the Sony Body just seems incredible and I wanted to ensure my glass could be used to the best of its ability still via an adaptor.

BTW that bag is really really lovely, I hate you for posting it :D

Associate
I'm really tempted to pick up an A73 and use my Canon lenses via an adapter. From reading forums though it looks like the 70-200mkII isn't the best performer. Also to get C-AF you have to drop to low speed as it won't work at high. Focus points appear to only work towards the centre (you don't get the full frame coverage). The little things add up and I've decided to give it a miss and wait to see what Canon are up to. I'll keep the Fuji setup for a while longer yet...

Same boat, still trying to find reasons not to sell my 70-200ii. Was thinking about a 1ds mkIII but decided I would struggle with the antiquated interface and high ISO performance.

Caporegime
Still waiting for that first (maybe second) impression summary ;)

Lol, since I got the Zeiss I’ve not put on any Canon glass lol. Tomorrow I think I’ll shoot 3 bodies using 35/50/85 just so I can :p

I have a trip away soon and thinking taking the 35L along and see how they performs. I really prefer to know a lens using it in an unpaid situation than using it in a paid situation first time.

Soldato
Same boat, still trying to find reasons not to sell my 70-200ii. Was thinking about a 1ds mkIII but decided I would struggle with the antiquated interface and high ISO performance.

I'm kinda spoilt with Canon bodies, I do still enjoy using the old 1Ds2 every now and then though. It still has decent AF and is great in good light, max ISO of 1600 shows it's age though! Never got round to trying the 1Ds3, but apart from ISO I'd imagine it's still a solid performer?

Caporegime
1Ds2, 7D, 1D4 and a 5D4. Oh, and an EOS3. I don't like the hassle of selling!

Lol that’s a lot of DSLRs. I sold all my 5Ds in the past, tech moves on so fast and prices plummets with new models so thought best to sell, but kept my EOS30 though. Nice to know I have a film camera should I need it.

This is what I have atm, plus the 5D I took the photo with and the EOS30 not in the shot. The Fuji are all 2nd hand so bought at a value they can be sold on for and it’s and they are fun to use so keeping them.

I got the Olympus off my dad as he’s not using it. Will get a 17/1.8 when I find a used one so it can be a pocket camera.

vokZJrm.jpg

Soldato
Lol that’s a lot of DSLRs. I sold all my 5Ds in the past, tech moves on so fast and prices plummets with new models so thought best to sell, but kept my EOS30 though. Nice to know I have a film camera should I need it.

This is what I have atm, plus the 5D I took the photo with and the EOS30 not in the shot. The Fuji are all 2nd hand so bought at a value they can be sold on for and it’s and they are fun to use so keeping them.

I got the Olympus off my dad as he’s not using it. Will get a 17/1.8 when I find a used one so it can be a pocket camera.

vokZJrm.jpg

Apart from the 5D4 all were bought second hand. The 7D I picked up very cheaply and it's a backup camera, the 1Ds2 isn't worth a lot now, and I have a lot of fond memories of it (awesome shutter sound too!). I've also managed to acquire a full Fuji kit (X-E1, X-T1 and X-T2). I keep meaning to rationalise but never quite get round to it... If Canon do release a decent FF mirrorless it'll be easier to let the Fuji's go.

Caporegime
Apart from the 5D4 all were bought second hand. The 7D I picked up very cheaply and it's a backup camera, the 1Ds2 isn't worth a lot now, and I have a lot of fond memories of it (awesome shutter sound too!). I've also managed to acquire a full Fuji kit (X-E1, X-T1 and X-T2). I keep meaning to rationalise but never quite get round to it... If Canon do release a decent FF mirrorless it'll be easier to let the Fuji's go.

The problem with any Canon mirrorless is the lenses will still be the same size. But they will release updated version because focus by wire clearly is the way to focus on mirrorless if Sony is right. So I would see them releasing a lot of new lenses in the near future.

Ps i just love the look at the Xpro1 with a 35/1.4 on it with that square hood.

Soldato
The problem with any Canon mirrorless is the lenses will still be the same size. But they will release updated version because focus by wire clearly is the way to focus on mirrorless if Sony is right. So I would see them releasing a lot of new lenses in the near future.

Ps i just love the look at the Xpro1 with a 35/1.4 on it with that square hood.

Yeah, I love that little 35mm Fuji :D

I actually wouldn't mind a larger body from Canon, so it handles better with fast FF lenses.

Caporegime
Yeah, I love that little 35mm Fuji :D

I actually wouldn't mind a larger body from Canon, so it handles better with fast FF lenses.

One thing I am waiting for is for the X-pro 2 to drop in price, the X-pro one is now like £250 used, but X-pro 2 is still at £900 used in retail stores, huge jump. When it’s nearer £500 I’ll pick one up for sure.

Soldato
I'm kinda spoilt with Canon bodies, I do still enjoy using the old 1Ds2 every now and then though. It still has decent AF and is great in good light, max ISO of 1600 shows it's age though! Never got round to trying the 1Ds3, but apart from ISO I'd imagine it's still a solid performer?

Love my 1Ds2.

Soldato
One thing I am waiting for is for the X-pro 2 to drop in price, the X-pro one is now like £250 used, but X-pro 2 is still at £900 used in retail stores, huge jump. When it’s nearer £500 I’ll pick one up for sure.

Is that a half leather case on the X-Pro? I found it quite boxy and didn't like the handling that much, but imagine adding something with a bit more of a grip would change that?

I kept the X-E1 as I like the gen 1 sensor, getting quite tempted by the X-Pro1 with the prices where they are... I need to stop buying more Fuji stuff though! Perhaps I should just sell the Canon stuff, or sell everything and go Sony...! Sony is expensive though, and as it is still niche the second hand market is really small as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is that a half leather case on the X-Pro? I found it quite boxy and didn't like the handling that much, but imagine adding something with a bit more of a grip would change that?

I kept the X-E1 as I like the gen 1 sensor, getting quite tempted by the X-Pro1 with the prices where they are... I need to stop buying more Fuji stuff though! Perhaps I should just sell the Canon stuff, or sell everything and go Sony...! Sony is expensive though, and as it is still niche the second hand market is really small as well.

Yup, add the Lensmate thumb grip it adds much needed ergonomics to the camera IMO, but between the 2 I'd say the thumb grip does more for stability than the case. The extra inch for the pinky does help and I like the leather feel and texture it adds.

Caporegime
I don’t think any of us want a bag that looks like a camera bag, I can always spot a Lowepro or Manfrotto logo from a mile off even if its small. Thinktank bags is or was my ideal choice but I never felt they were 100% right. What is good is that even I haven’t heard of this brand before until a week ago, it’s not a high-street brand, so walking around I don’t see this screams “cameras inside” to someone across the street.

Is this a personal preference thing (style) or are you thinking in terms of security/not wanting to be a target?

I've been quite happy with a slingshot bag for a while but the increase in motorbike/scooter thefts in London do make wonder whether something nondescript could be better.. then again I'm not sure the thieves are specifically out for cameras or would recognised the bags but are perhaps just opportunistic and grab mobiles/any bags etc..

I guess definitely quite useful when traveling overseas to not have a camera bag too.

Caporegime
Is this a personal preference thing (style) or are you thinking in terms of security/not wanting to be a target?

I've been quite happy with a slingshot bag for a while but the increase in motorbike/scooter thefts in London do make wonder whether something nondescript could be better.. then again I'm not sure the thieves are specifically out for cameras or would recognised the bags but are perhaps just opportunistic and grab mobiles/any bags etc..

I guess definitely quite useful when traveling overseas to not have a camera bag too.

I like to be as discrete as possible, my cameras don’t have branded straps on, none of them have ever been used, it’s a plain no label leather strap so from behind you’ll not know what’s over my shoulder.

When I put my camera in the bag I don’t want the bag to give hints what’s inside. Like in a restaurant I’ll put the bag down with my camera in it. It’s just a personal preference thing. I might be holding a DSLR out and about, that I can’t do anything about unless I don’t want to take pictures at all but I try to lower the risks as much as I can in places I am unfamiliar with.

In the past I just use a messenger bag and put my camera in it. But it’ll also share the space with other things and the messenger bag is unpadded too.

Caporegime
I've a Tenba DNA messenger, and reckon it strikes a decent balance between not looking too much like a camera bag, and not being so trendy that a scruffy looking mofo like me like me can pull it off.

I almost bought a Thinktank Signature but those are £250, and it's a bit too hipster looking

9T3FQuE.jpg

Also considered the Retrospective 5 which is good, but no inner flap and a strap that is fixed (not a huge deal).

oI2oHIp.jpg

rvF2Y3I.jpg

Back
Top Bottom