**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Caporegime
I see kevin lee could not make the weight

Messes around at the ceremonial weigh in as well, the guy is a clown. Hope Barboza starches him.

I don't want to look past the next few cards but UFC 225 is looking ridiculously good.

Robert Whittaker vs Yoel Romero
RDA vs Coby Covington
Overeem vs Blaydes
Arlovski vs Tuivasa
CM Punk vs Mike Jackson
Holm vs Anderson
Lamas vs Bektic
Gadelha vs Esparza
Evans vs Smith
Benavidez vs Pettis
Coulter vs Crowser
Santiago vs Ige
Guida vs Green

With the exception of Santiago vs Ige as I don't know either of these, it looks very good. I'm intrigued by the CM Punk fight, it'll be good to see if he's improved although I think it's an insult to the other fights below them to put that fight so high on the card.

Amazing card, easily one of the cards of the year so far.

Caporegime
Lee is a joke, he basically shouldn't move up in ranking considering he was fighting as a weight class outside of 155.

Can't make weight, move up. Credit for his funky chicken impression mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's him just marketing himself, and making himself appear more relevant than Eddie, I don't think it was a real knock on him (given that a 145er couldn't make 155 on 8 days notice).

Edit: He's live on the Joe Rogan podcast atm.

Soldato
Meh, Kevin missed weight by a single pound and has said it was a timing issue as opposed to an inability to get the weight off, Khabib missed by 2.5lbs back at UFC 160 and had to be pulled from a fight because of a poor weight cut - at least Kevin made the walk to the cage and didn't let the fans down.

Caporegime
Meh, Kevin missed weight by a single pound and has said it was a timing issue as opposed to an inability to get the weight off, Khabib missed by 2.5lbs back at UFC 160 and had to be pulled from a fight because of a poor weight cut - at least Kevin made the walk to the cage and didn't let the fans down.

He made the walk to the cage in an upper weight class, how hard did he try to cut that pound? It's well known that the last bit of weight to come off is the hardest, did he really try or just decide it would impact his performance too much?

I guess we will never know, but missing weight and still fighting isn't on imo, unless the result of the fight counts for nothing if the person missing wins. It looks like Lee is moving onwards and upwards off the back of borderline cheating, basically.

Last edited:
Soldato
He wasn't given the extra hour which is the norm by the NJ athletic commission, and he's also said the scales he was using were reading lighter than the official scales which he wouldn't have known prior to stepping on I assume?

When he had a the interim title fight vs Ferguson he weighed in at 154.5lbs, he was only shooting for 156lbs this fight as it was non title and I do believe it was a genuine mistake.

He's paid his fine, in the form of 20% of his purse to Barboza, it's a first time offence, and it appears to be a genuine mistake rather than an attempted cheat.

Associate
I just started watching the latest One Championship..and WTF..? They're fighting in a squared off thing surrounded by ropes. What the hell is that all about? Where's my cage? It's unnatural. I think i'll call it a Ring, as it's clearly not circular like it was before. How's the winner supposed to balance atop that?

Edit: Look at the gloves. How are you supposed to poke someone's eye out with these...?

0xhMQ09.png

Edit 2: On a serious note: I don't know how many of you follow One Championship? I watch every event and they really do put on a good show. Compared to the UFC i'd call it a superior product. Of course the fighters aren't as well known here, but they are revered in their respective home countries. The standard of fighting is high, even very high in some cases. Angela Lee is top class for example.

They've absolutely nailed the rules though. All the recent confusion about what what constitutes a downed opponent in the UFC and which state has ratified the new rules? In One FC you can knee a downed opponent in the head. Has anyone died? No. Has it ended any fights? No. What it does is help break a stalemate in a grappling contest. Looks like the fighters are enjoying that 'North/South' position a little too much? No problem. Once the knees-to-the-head start landing, they soon find a way to work themselves into a better position.

Last edited:
Associate

I agree. While the weight cutting issue has become a joke, everyone is doing it and is more or less at an equally advantagious state. One single pound of weight is not going to win a fight for anybody. The argument could then be made that Lee had the hardest weight cut and should have then been in the least 'fit' condition, ala Joanna 'Champion'. It's beyond a joke. I would happily fight someone fifty pounds heavier than me if i knew they'd never lifted anything heavier than their Dell mouse. I would NOT want to get in the ring with Demitrous Johnson, despite having a good fifty pounds on him.

Associate
I'm currently rewatching UFC 26. It was the first fight with the new Bantamweight division. Jens Pulver destroyed his opponent. At several pounds heavier than Jens, i would rather have faced Tito Ortiz. At least with the latter i would have had a chance with better movement. Pulver would have run rings around me, as he did with all his opponents. The trickiest fights i ever had weren't with people heavier than me. A few pounds here or there don't make a difference. Try fighting someone faster than you. It's a nightmare.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bellator Fedor Vs Mir result

damn, before they started i had Frank winning that fight 999 out of 1,000, i guess Mir really doesnt have a chin
not sure about Big John doing the after fight interviews :/

Back
Top Bottom