So, the Championship season has started **Spoilers**

Soldato
Yeah, I agree it was a poison chalice, Coleman should get credit for moving to club like Sunderland, and he's also going to stick with them this season, to properly try and sort the club out once and for all. Coleman did extremely well for Wales, his stock was high, things can just start clicking for you, that happened at Wales, and it might happen again at Sunderland, given time to put his mark on the club and whatnot. Who knows what will happen.

Perhaps Sunderland should have gone Pep..

Caporegime
Sunderland should have gotten someone in with either a better club record, or someone who has a good record in the Championship.

Coleman's stock was high because he had overachieved with the Welsh national side, what possessed him to want to manage Sunderland is beyond me (hubris? The arrogance that he actually believed his own hype?) as they were/are a club in absolute freefall.

He waited for a Premiership job, where nobody was stupid enough to offer him a job, and instead thought he would be the man to save a club falling apart.

I have no problem with either Sunderland or Coleman, but one is a club in crisis hurtling towards absolute disaster, and the other a man who's not done anything of note at any club.

Soldato
I have no idea why Coleman took the Sunderland job, and I have no idea why Sunderland wanted him to have the job.

I said exactly the same to my mates (no idea if I posted it on here at the time) he's a garbage manager who was extremely lucky that he got given a Wales team that Speed had built to perfection.

Fair play to Coleman and Sunderland though, everyone said it would be tough to get out of the championship in the first season down and they beat the odds to achieve that!

Last edited:
Soldato
FFS, Cardiff's collapse - after we dug them out of a hole with that last minute equaliser at Fulham a couple of weeks back - has effectively put an end to our play-off hopes. A loss or a draw for Derby and we stood a good chance of hitting the play-offs with two winnable games left.

Don
FFS, Cardiff's collapse - after we dug them out of a hole with that last minute equaliser at Fulham a couple of weeks back - has effectively put an end to our play-off hopes. A loss or a draw for Derby and we stood a good chance of hitting the play-offs with two winnable games left.

Wouldn't rule it out yet. I don't think Millwall will win either of their two games and Derby are Derby..

Soldato
Wouldn't rule it out yet. I don't think Millwall will win either of their two games and Derby are Derby..

True but Boro play a terrible Ipswich, and Derby's final game of the season is against Barnsley (who might already be down by this point). If these games go against us, and it's likely that they will, then we'll need to overturn a 7 goal goal difference across two games.

Caporegime
So... That
Yeah, I agree it was a poison chalice, Coleman should get credit for moving to club like Sunderland, and he's also going to stick with them this season, to properly try and sort the club out once and for all. Coleman did extremely well for Wales, his stock was high, things can just start clicking for you, that happened at Wales, and it might happen again at Sunderland, given time to put his mark on the club and whatnot. Who knows what will happen.

Worked out well for him really.

BBC Link.

Did he not say he would stay with the club in League One? :p:D

Soldato
The guy buying Sunderland is currently owner of Eastleigh. They came flying up the non league pyramid and he basically tried to buy his way into league football which failed miserably. He was paying players like James Constable thousands a week to be there and ultimately is backfired. I don't think he'll have the finances to do anything significant at Sunderland.

Back
Top Bottom