What "man jobs" have you done today?

Caporegime
Guidance online suggests that pressure treated wood isn't supposed to be painted for at least 6 months because, after pressure treating, it will still be wet.

Didn't know that, thanks, just found a guide.

EDIT:

Spose i could just put em up for now then (if not dry), then paint em when dried, and do i really need a primer on first ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm no expert on fence painting, I've only ever used Ronseal One Coat Fence Life or Cuprinol Garden Shades. Never used a primer before.

Yeah me neither, guides suggest a water test, to see if dry, if the water soaks in, then dry, if it beads, then still wet, so will have to wait until drys out, and also with it being a new fence, to put a primer on first.

My new panels are coming tomorrow, so will see what they like.

Got some of these :-

https://www.diy.com/departments/gra...h-1-8m-pack-of-3/971436_BQ.prd?FPAN_C_PO_D_IL

Soldato
Don't think this warrants it's own thread.

I need to lay some concrete on top of an existing concrete slab. At the moment there is one section and then a step down onto a lower section. I want to raise the lower section to equal the height of the higher section.

I presume i need to stick some steel bars in place for reinforcement rather than just lay it over the top of the existing but i'm struggling to find any. I always thought it was called "rebar" but can't find anything under that name at either Travis Perkins, Jewsen etc and i want to buy it locally.

The closest i can find is this Zinc plated steel threaded rod. Will this do the job?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-bright-zinc-plated-steel-threaded-rods-m10-x-1000mm-5-pack/39347

Associate
Don't think this warrants it's own thread.

I need to lay some concrete on top of an existing concrete slab. At the moment there is one section and then a step down onto a lower section. I want to raise the lower section to equal the height of the higher section.

I presume i need to stick some steel bars in place for reinforcement rather than just lay it over the top of the existing but i'm struggling to find any. I always thought it was called "rebar" but can't find anything under that name at either Travis Perkins, Jewsen etc and i want to buy it locally.

The closest i can find is this Zinc plated steel threaded rod. Will this do the job?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-bright-zinc-plated-steel-threaded-rods-m10-x-1000mm-5-pack/39347

I don't know much about it but if you search for stuff like "a252 mesh" it'll get you started. It probably is worth its own topic on a building forum as depending on the thickness it might not be needed or concrete might not even be appropriate.

Caporegime
Put me new fence panels up :D

20180421_170238.jpg

Only took about 3 and half hrs, but im ******:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks good. I take it the posts are on the other side rather than doing them in between?

Its a long wall with lats along, that they're just screwed onto, if they last as long as the ones they replaced (which was over 30yrs), i'll be happy :D

It's probably the camera angle, but it looks like some of them bow in at the top :p. They look very smart though.

Thanks, and yeah it must be the angle, as they fine. :p

I just need to get them painted when they're dry, which is what the gates need as well.

Last edited:
Don
Today I added a vegetable patch to my garden. There was a stupid little piece of grass next to the path that was doing nothing so I dug it out and filled it with compost.

kBPMEBN.jpg

I also mounted a projector on the ceiling in my living room and a screen on the wall. I've now got my home cinema. 55" TV for scale by the way. The screen is about 2M x 1.2M. The TV I just have to move it off it's stand on the the floor when I want to watch a film.
Please excuse the content. Son was watching The Magic Schoolbus. Projection screen has a few kinks in it. Need to wait for them to fall out hence the slightly wobbly image.

44A81WX.jpg

Last edited:
Don
Correct. It was a cast off from work. I figured I'd give it home rather than see it go in the bin. It's got a new bulb too. Resolution isn't anything to write home about but it's good enough.

Back
Top Bottom