Android Chat

Associate
it is not a case of 'pixel phone getting it first' it is something being built into the current messaging app to work on any android phone... but ultimately it will rely on the networks supporting RCS to make it work

Permabanned
Associate
Soldato
Correct, Telefonica owns O2 not 3. I remember reading a few months back about O2 having no plans at the moment but Telefonica does seem to be rolling it out in other countries, so they could perhaps "prompt" O2 to start supporting it.

Nothing from EE yet either. Which is a shame because a lot of the popular MVNOs depends on EE/O2 and 3 so they'll have to end on waiting on them as well.

Soldato
What good will come of this? putting messaging back in the hands of the operators is just a way for them to milk profit from it. What's in it for us?

Which is a good point actually, everyone I know uses either WhatsApp, WeChat or FB Messenger. Only texts I get is just notifications and/or 2 auth services that uses SMS. Apparently in the US though text messaging is still very large.

Permabanned
Which is a good point actually, everyone I know uses either WhatsApp, WeChat or FB Messenger. Only texts I get is just notifications and/or 2 auth services that uses SMS. Apparently in the US though text messaging is still very large.

Thanks for the clarification of Three and O2 ownership. Agree that if Telefonica is introducing Chat in non-UK jurisdictions, it should only be a matter of time before it is introduced here.

What's in it for us? I still receive many texts, esp from people outside my immediate family and often from a professional contractor or other businesses.

If the carriers both support Chat, they will be taking on board GIFs, stickers, Google Assistant, Smart Replies, better search, integration with Google Photos, etc. And it is being introduced into Android in a way that the carriers can embrace---adding value to their own package. As I understand, Chat messages will be pushed to you via your data plan rather than via SMS, so it seems unlikely that it will cost you much if anything.

Soldato
If the carriers both support Chat, they will be taking on board GIFs, stickers, Google Assistant, Smart Replies, better search, integration with Google Photos, etc. And it is being introduced into Android in a way that the carriers can embrace---adding value to their own package. As I understand, Chat messages will be pushed to you via your data plan rather than via SMS, so it seems unlikely that it will cost you much if anything.

Pushed over data but a separator operator-controlled service. It just seems like a great opportunity for the operators to regain control over messaging and when they do... I dunno, maybe they are more honourable than I am giving them credit for, although the article mentions this possibility too. I honestly can't see any reason to get the carriers re-involved with messaging, it can only be bad for us.

Edit: oh, and this :

RCS business messaging estimated to be worth $74b by 2021
https://www.gsma.com/futurenetworks/digest/rcs-demonstrations-mwc18/

The carriers obviously believe there's money in it....

Last edited:
Soldato
I blame google for this. Apple have been able to create and continually develop imessage without RCS.

Google SHOULD have stuck with Hangouts, developed and rebranded it. Instead, they created messages, allo and duo.

IF they had developed ONE hell of a messaging app then MAYBE samsung, LG, sony etc etc would have used that as their default messaging app. Then the majority of android users would be using the same.

Think it's a bit late in the game now.

Back
Top Bottom