Road Cycling

Soldato
Well I’ve ordered my new bike - Ribble Gran Fondo with Ultegra, Disc brakes and Fulcrum wheels. I now have a budget of £300 to spend on helmet, glasses and shoes, I know it’s tight but this is what I’ve come up with.

Bontrager Ballista MIPS in white £100 I really like the look and reviews say it doesn’t make your head look like a mushroom!

BTWIN 900 Carbon Road Cycling Shoes in white £80 Cheap, good reviews, look nice but not a huge fan of BTWIN name on them
(Already ordered Ultegra R8000 Carbon SPD-SL Pedals)

Glasses - I’m struggling here, I would like some photochromic with prescription inserts so I can see the display on my bolt but would like them to look good to although I don’t have Oakley money and prescription lenses are about £40 so assuming the above gets the thumbs up that leaves me with about £80 for glasses, any suggestions?

Was looking at these but always dubious about none branded makes
https://brightcycling.co.uk/products/erythraean-photochromic-cycling-glasses

Last edited:
Soldato
Next request today - any good rim-brake frame only deals around?

The rear brake stop (on the top tube) sheared off my Planet X this morning. Problem is I'm doing two sportives and a triathlon relay bike-leg in the next month, which gives me two weeks to have a working bike :rolleyes: I've e-mailed Rob Hayles (Re-carb) - he just replied saying fixable but £180 and not until June.

Simplest option would appear to be get a new Pro Carbon frame from PX for £250 and transfer as much as possible over. Geometry should be similar.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFFDP/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset

Current bike has mix of Ultegra and DA, so a cheap groupset from Merlin would mean I can leave the old bike permanently on the turbo trainer

Splurging on a totally new bike is tempting but I'd want to take more than two weeks to drool over shiny stuff in the shops and then ride a few options.

Edit to say the frame is 2008/2009 so pretty old and not much value in it (bar a new-for-old insurance theft claim).

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to have a huge crash last night whilst riding home from a BBQ a little under the influence. Thankfully the bike is fine (was the BMC, not the Bianchi fortunately!) but my hands, face and knees are beyond ****** up. No riding for me for at least a week I reckon. :(

Soldato
Oh ****! Did they stop? That's so crap.

He did and thankfully I was uninjured besides some cuts and bruises. Considering I was going 20mph right before hitting his car I'm quite lucky. Was prepared to go through the motions with insurance but he agreed to resolve the matter privately for the original value of the bike in 2013. I think that's a reasonable outcome.

Unfortunately, £700 in 2018 will only really cover a frameset, not a full bike.

Soldato
Next request today - any good rim-brake frame only deals around?

The rear brake stop (on the top tube) sheared off my Planet X this morning. Problem is I'm doing two sportives and a triathlon relay bike-leg in the next month, which gives me two weeks to have a working bike :rolleyes: I've e-mailed Rob Hayles (Re-carb) - he just replied saying fixable but £180 and not until June.

Simplest option would appear to be get a new Pro Carbon frame from PX for £250 and transfer as much as possible over. Geometry should be similar.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFFDP/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset

Current bike has mix of Ultegra and DA, so a cheap groupset from Merlin would mean I can leave the old bike permanently on the turbo trainer

Splurging on a totally new bike is tempting but I'd want to take more than two weeks to drool over shiny stuff in the shops and then ride a few options.

Edit to say the frame is 2008/2009 so pretty old and not much value in it (bar a new-for-old insurance theft claim).

If you’re in a rush to get it sorted I’d just run a full length cable outer to the rear brake and cable tie it to the top tube. No VFM in getting it repaired IMO so would save your money towards a new frameset.

Soldato
If you’re in a rush to get it sorted I’d just run a full length cable outer to the rear brake and cable tie it to the top tube. No VFM in getting it repaired IMO so would save your money towards a new frameset.
Yeah, that's what i'd do to keep going. No point in rushing into buying a new frame.

Soldato
Back from sunny Denia with tan lines & new FTP :):cool: If I see another piece of smoked salmon or croissant I'll be jumping out the nearest window! :p

Will pop a few bits & pieces in the Holiday Thread for those interested in the next few weeks.

Soldato
I did it :D

fBYZjwr.jpg
jmmmenJ.jpg

Went in and had a test ride, and it looks so good in person. I couldn't walk away. Just have to wait a day now as they threw in some things (Ultegra pedals, carbon bottle cages, hyooge chain/alarmed lock), but I want it now with the weather so nice.

Chuffed :D
Cycling Weekly have a nice video review of the new Propel Disc on YouTube.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah, that's what i'd do to keep going. No point in rushing into buying a new frame.

Hmm, hadn't thought of doing that, so thank you. I'm away two nights for work next week so even tighter on time for a strip & rebuild.

Have been looking at the Kenesis frames tonight but even the cheapest T3 is going to be at least £420 once I've added a carbon fork, seatpost, front mech and headset. Then I spotted the 4S Disc (which takes rim brakes) and suddenly I like the idea of spending another £300 :rolleyes:

A bit of Googling has turned on bolt-on cable stops like this for a slightly lower bodge appeal:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/black-286-mm-origin8-clampon-double-frame-cable-stop/

Soldato
If you can get one the exact size for your frame and the tubes are precisely round (rare on carbon) they're a good fix. If they're a poor fit they can damage the weave.

I nipped into the mancave this morning and the top tube appears to be 110mm diameter, so no good as those clamps are all for skinny (steel) tubes.

Cable ties coming out tonight!

Will take a stroll round to the LBS at lunch. I know they sell Bianchi, not sure what else I can perv over.

changed my rear cassette from a 11-28 to a 11-32 had the replace the rear mech at the same time to accommodate the change
i sized the replacement chain by putting the new chain on the big ring and largest rear cog + 2 rivets and it measured the same as the current chain

looking at the pictures it seems strained if on the big ring and largest cog, there is a big of slack if i move the cage, i realise it a crossover gear and try not to use it
what do you guys think?

v4ldjkN.jpg
ji3rRLi.jpg

Soldato
Question for Di2 people.
I know that the new R8050 group won't allow 34 (on the big) and 11-12 on the casette....but does anyone know if there is an setting preventing 34/28 on the casette?

I was playing with the di2 trim yesterday and got it all setup 'correctly' but when spinning in 34/28 for about 15-20 meters, the RD was auto dropped to 34/26; there was no chain rub and it was 100% the RD moving. I could press the button and it would go back up to 34/28 for another 15m before dropping to 34/26 again.

Man of Honour
Cycling Weekly have a nice video review of the new Propel Disc on YouTube.

Interesting. I get his comments about the tyres, I think I'll eventually increase the size once I've gotten to grips with the bike. I actually really like the stem, I think it looks really smart and I totally get that it's probably an arse to do any maintenance on, but I still like having it as I think the lack of cables just looks so clean.

Had 3 rides so far on it, nothing of any length. 16 miles being the longest and two 10 milers, but I'm terribly unfit at the moment so building that back up. Will wait until I've done a decent stretch before a proper review but first impressions are very good. It's actually more comfortable than my B'Twin imo, it's pretty stiff on dodgy surfaces but as the video above said, it didn't leave me feeling battered and bruised like the B'Twin does, which often gave me bad elbows because of the position I was in and the amount of feedback coming through the bike.

Yesterdays ride was in some pretty strong winds (27mph gusts) and I had my first introduction to crosswinds with deep section wheels, took me by surprise but it's not as bad as I imagined it would be.

Soldato
Yesterdays ride was in some pretty strong winds (27mph gusts) and I had my first introduction to crosswinds with deep section wheels, took me by surprise but it's not as bad as I imagined it would be.
I have 65 section wheels front & back and have rode in some windy conditions without feeling unstable.

Back
Top Bottom