What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Is a very nice helmet, and bargain as it's reduced down to £199.99. Matt black and white looks awesome to boot.

I'm used too double-d's so don't mind them, just got to remember helmet first then gloves. Think you'll be limiting yourself with quick release won't you? I don't see them that much.

I definitely am limiting myself, so i might just bite the bullet. Need to find somewhere to try it on first for size, then yeah, £199.99 on sportsbikeshop :)

Man of Honour
I used to think the same about the d ring straps that they'd be a pain in the backside and I was only interested in the quick release ones but I've had my shoei with a d ring for a year now and they're no hassle at all once you get used to needing at least one glove off to fasten them. In fact with my kangaroo palm summer gloves that are nice and thin I can do it up without having to take them off now.

Associate
Do it! I urge you - best mod I ever did to mine! Sadly after I had spent money on two different sets of cans, PC5, air filter etc etc etc - the sprocket was £15.

Fitted a 16 tooth (-1) front sprocket on Friday, gave it a try on the way to work today,
Much better rideability, accelerates more eagerly without having to give it more right arm twist and to think I've wasted over 5 years of putting up with how it was for such a simple change. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Over reading by around 4mph/10% ish now.
swaJ2Ga.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I still have my digi gear indicator, speedo healer and PC5 (with plug in loom) in the loft - keep meaning to stick them on eBay, as they have been up there (and through house moves) since my bike was written off - that I have no idea if they still work; one would assume so. Trust me if you're interested, might be able to come to a deal where you can give them a try before you buy or something.

Trust sent bud. :)

Associate
Fitted a 16 tooth (-1) front sprocket on Friday, gave it a try on the way to work today,
Much better rideability, accelerates more eagerly without having to give it more right arm twist and to think I've wasted over 5 years of putting up with how it was for such a simple change. :rolleyes:

I've never really seen the attraction of lowered gearing. If I'm in say fourth gear, if I want lower gearing, I change down to third.

So for me the only effect of lowered gearing is that I'll have a first gear that wheelies too easily and a top gear that's less effective for cruising. Or am I missing something?

Associate
The R1 has really tall gearing.
A few years ago I looked down at the speedo after it had hit the limiter and I'd just rolled off the throttle (so would've lost a few mph) and it had dropped to 102 indicated, so it must've been at 105 at least, this was whilst in first gear.

One way to describe it would be that it almost feels like you're setting off in 2nd gear when you're actually in 1st, almost laboured so you need to slip the clutch to get a brisk launch.

Associate
Ah OK- For an overly tall first gear or lack of grunt fair enough (think RC45), but you sometimes hear riders say "Morez torquez everywherez!" which I don't get. Technically it is I guess, but practically you can always achieve whatever increase in torque you need by dropping down the gearbox (except in 1st obviously).

Having said that, the S1000RR will hit around 100 in first, but still plenty of torque to spin the rear and/or loop the bike even low down in the rev range. Can't ever seem myself needing any more!

Soldato

Good job - it's like an entirely new bike with this mod :D

Soldato
I've never really seen the attraction of lowered gearing. If I'm in say fourth gear, if I want lower gearing, I change down to third.

So for me the only effect of lowered gearing is that I'll have a first gear that wheelies too easily and a top gear that's less effective for cruising. Or am I missing something?

For the 07-08 R1, it completely changes the characteristics of the bike - basically it helps to lower the speed, whilst raising the revs for the speed. So before this type of mod, the R1 is really poorly geared, and 1st is so long - that you get a really digital ON and OFF feel to the throttle. Losing a tooth off of the front will lop off some top end power (but who wants to do 180+ on public roads :D), and in turn makes the revs higher at lower speeds - thus making it lovely to ride :)

Soldato
Ah OK- For an overly tall first gear or lack of grunt fair enough (think RC45), but you sometimes hear riders say "Morez torquez everywherez!" which I don't get. Technically it is I guess, but practically you can always achieve whatever increase in torque you need by dropping down the gearbox (except in 1st obviously).

Having said that, the S1000RR will hit around 100 in first, but still plenty of torque to spin the rear and/or loop the bike even low down in the rev range. Can't ever seem myself needing any more!

For this bike, it's not so much about getting a boost in torque (butt dyno'd), as the bike already has plenty, even in the low power band - but more about raising the revs in the particular gear, to keep it in a more usable range. I guess it's all the emissions throttling that make it so digital in fuelling lower down - having this cheap as chips mod boost the revs, makes it far more usable in the real world.

Associate
MOT'd the S1000RR today it's first one, no advisories, well there shouldn't be, it's only done 2800 miles in 3 years :o

Oh and Paul Hollywood popped in to see how his bike was doing and bought some new gear.

Associate
MOT'd the S1000RR today it's first one, no advisories, well there shouldn't be, it's only done 2800 miles in 3 years :o

Oh and Paul Hollywood popped in to see how his bike was doing and bought some new gear.

Haha, beat you- mine had done 4020 miles at it's first MOT last month.

Still, they've been 4020 wide-eyed miles....

Thanks to having a bike nicked last year, I'm restricted to 2000 miles on it this year :(

Associate
Yeh I remember you picked yours up a month before mine!

I keep questioning why I have it as I use it so little, but then I ride it.. yeh, definitely wide eyed. :D

Soldato
Quick blip and a brew up Brecon, only to find the sunny weather hadn't followed me and in typical Brecon style, it was hammering it down.
Still, nice to get out on it with a few friends.

Few jobs to do before Cartagena, service, new air filter (went for BMC) and another round of mapping on the dyno.

ZH3uXmP.jpg
BxH5cwP.jpg

Soldato
Shiney!

Got the front disks and pads swapped. As soon as I used the brakes after swap I realised how bad the old disks were.....

Parts prices are silly in UK - I ordered these from Alabama and came in cheaper and with more life remaining, including postage and import duty etc, than others listed locally on Ebay.

Associate
I definitely am limiting myself, so i might just bite the bullet. Need to find somewhere to try it on first for size, then yeah, £199.99 on sportsbikeshop :)

Measure your head and order from Sportsbikehsop as they do free returns if it doesn't fit so there is no risk to you just leave all the stickers on while you try it on.

In fact trying it on at home you are in a better position as you can actually wear it for a reasonable amount of time.

Soldato
Measure your head and order from Sportsbikehsop as they do free returns if it doesn't fit so there is no risk to you just leave all the stickers on while you try it on.

In fact trying it on at home you are in a better position as you can actually wear it for a reasonable amount of time.

Ah I wasn’t aware of the free returns! Might just have to do that then.

Back
Top Bottom