A few questions on memory, what brand, is 4 sticks better than 2 etc ?

Associate
My motherboard is a G1.Sniper 5 on the Z87 chipset, this is basically what it can take on the spec below, my OS is Windows 10 64 bit, my GPU is a Sapphire Vapor X 290X 8GB
  1. 4 x DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
    * Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 3000(O.C.) / 2933(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2600(O.C.) / 2500(O.C.) / 2400(O.C.) / 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
  5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory module
A couple of questions

1. Memory wise i'm currently running 2 x 4GB 2133 MHz modules which are Avexir with the green flashing lights, it seems Overclockers no longer stock them, any ideas as to why ?

2. What's the optimum speed i should get as an upgrade, i think i read somewhere that you shouldn't go above 2600MHz or there abouts as windows won't recognise it.

3. Is it better to fill all the memory slots. as an example would 4 x 4GB be better than using 2 x 8GB ?

4. If i can't get Avexir again, what brands would you suggest as i've lost touch with what's good and what's not good these days. Why has the price on memory gone through the roof ?

Associate
I can't really help you I'm afraid man, but I'm also interested to know if there's any difference between 2 or 4 sticks. I installed 4 sticks of 4gb on my system as I oringally only budgeted for 8gb, then realised that most games require more than that these days. Haven't noticed any particular problems, so doubt it's an issue. Probably just slightly more cost efficient to buy 2 sticks of 8 rather than 4 of 4 is my guess.
As for your questions, I'm not a professional but for number 2, I run windows 10 and have my ram clocked @2933mhz and haven't had any problems yet.

Don
1. Memory wise i'm currently running 2 x 4GB 2133 MHz modules which are Avexir with the green flashing lights, it seems Overclockers no longer stock them, any ideas as to why ?
There were rumours that they had gone bankrupt - not sure how true this is though

2. What's the optimum speed i should get as an upgrade, i think i read somewhere that you shouldn't go above 2600MHz or there abouts as windows won't recognise it.
What processor are you running? Are you overclocking? Should be no issue going above 2600Mhz.

3. Is it better to fill all the memory slots. as an example would 4 x 4GB be better than using 2 x 8GB ?
Generally 2 sticks will be better than 4 especially if overclocking, as it places less strain on the memory controller. However there is no issue running 4 sticks, although it runs no faster or slower than 2 on the Z87 platform (due to it only supporting dual channel ram). Mixing 2 different sets of RAM (E.g. different speeds or manufacturers), is generally not an issue (as the whole lot will run at the slowest speed), however can be an issue if overclocking.

4. If i can't get Avexir again, what brands would you suggest as i've lost touch with what's good and what's not good these days. Why has the price on memory gone through the roof ?

Team Group seem to be popular, but all of the main brands are fine in my experience.

Soldato
One advantage of 4 sticks is it stops dust / dirt getting on the empty memory slots over time, then again electronics contact clearer would clear the empty slots if you ever wanted to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom