Has my PSU fried my GPU?

Associate
Hi, everyone.

I have searched the internet and have raised tickets with Corsair and HP but I've not had a lot of success, I ended up here because I bought the PSU from Overclockers and their support page suggests posting on the forum. So here goes.

I am running an HP Omen Accelerator with a GTX1080, a Firecuda, and a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached. I was getting messages suggesting I use a more powerful PSU - the stock one that came with the Omen is 300w - so I bought a Corsair SF600.

Installation seemed pretty straightforward, but when I turned it on I got a half second of power and then nothing. I checked all connections (a 24-pin to the mobo and two 6+2s to the GPU) and all looked good. I couldn't work out what was wrong. So I undid it all and reinstalled the old PSU and now the same thing happens there - power for an instant and then nothing.

I did the paperclip test and both PSUs appear to be working fine.

Can anyone help? Have I done something silly? Is it possible I have damaged my mobo and/or GPU?

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Man of Honour
Have you connected up all the power cables? there are sometimes a seperate 4 or 8 pin "CPU" power connections on some motherboards that are easy to forget about (these are NOT the same as the 6 or 8 pin that connect to PCI-e devices like the graphics card). (EDIT: Ignore forgot this is the accelerator and doesn't have the CPU component).

If you disturbed the graphic card while swapping power supplies over then try reseating it to make sure and likewise make sure the power connections to it are secured properly.

EDIT: Just making sure but you have the Omen Accelerator as in the stand along GPU enclosure and are connecting a laptop (or similar) with supported Thunderbolt connectivity? not trying to use it on its own as a PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had an issue like this before, i unplugged all the connections and all the headers (ie Power SW etc) reseated the GPU and RAM, put it all back together making sure the headers and connections were seated firmly and then my PC powered on, Not saying this is your issue but maybe worth a try bud

Associate
OP
Hi, both. Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I am using it as a standalone and connecting my HP Spectre 360 via Thunderbolt 3. Worked fine for a good 6 months or so, until I decided to upgrade.

I most likely did nudge the GPU when installing but have since removed it and reseated. I have also checked the connections a bunch of times. I was hoping there was a voltage switch or the like somewhere that I had missed.

B*gger. It's not looking good, is it?

Man of Honour
Have you tried starting it up without the drive, keyboard and mouse, etc. attached? its also possible a Windows 10 update or something has changed something - I'm not familiar enough with the Accelerator to know if it is possible to easily rule that out.

Associate
OP
Right now only the GPU is connected. I have removed the hard drive and unplugged keyboard mouse and monitor. I get a flash of red light and then t shuts off. Interestingly I get the message about using a more powerful PSU for best performance. So it must recognise that there is power there.

Man of Honour
Does the host device see the Accelerator at all? i.e. if there is a HDD installed in it does it show on the host device even if there is nothing on the screen?

Associate
OP
I hadn't thought to check that. Unfortunately, when I reconnected the hard drive and disconnected the GPU I get the same flash of red/power and the message on my laptop screen "For full performance, connect a higher capacity power adapter." but if I look in Windows Explorer I cannot see the hard drive. Again, this was working okay before - I loaded all my Steam library onto it.

p.s. thanks so much for helping me with this

Man of Honour
Starting to sound like a problem with the power connection to the mainboard (possibly getting 5V power but not 12V) maybe something easily fixable or could be the socket or mainboard itself.

Associate
OP
Well, I have an open ticket with Corsair and have bumped my forum post with HP (frustratingly I can see HP employees replying to other similar posts and then supporting via PM) so fingers crossed I'll get something back from them.

Back
Top Bottom