Can anyone recommend speakers?

Associate
Hi, first of all I'm a total newby when it comes to this so don't hate on me please and help me out if you can :).

I want to buy speakers for my PC. I want it to be 2 speakers that look something like this
E99254E154954874B516372E853CBA04_12073_1624x1385_57f43dc56263954ec5e0d67bc5e15617.jpg
obviously not exactly like this but the general shape and looks (colours don't matter), preferably with wall brackets but that's not that necessary, and I want it to also have a subwoofer. I want the subwoofer to be pretty good so that I can actually feel the bass (I like bass) and I want the speakers to have high-ish watts (I think the higher they are the higher volume?) as I want them to be fairly loud (loud enough to feel loud in my room). I want to use the speakers mainly for listening to music / watching movies as I will always be using my headset when gaming, My budget is probably under £100 but if that's too low then recommend something higher, but I would rather not spend too much on these (thinking around £50).

Thank you :).

Soldato
Ignore what they look like - to a point. Speakers are generally about what they sound like, although there are cosmetic and build reasons.

Subwoofers are additional item, typically good ones start at £200 going up for £2500. There are sealed or ported designs, typically 10"-16".

Speakers have power handling. No higher watts doesn't mean higher volume. Speaker sensitivity means for a given watt from the amplifier, they will be louder. But that doesn't mean they have a higher maximum dB output.

£100 is way too low for a good 2.1 system. Plus you'll need a amplifier, unless you buy active speakers, and a subwoofer.

Best to go to local hifi shop talk to the guy what you want to do with it, budget etc.

I use a Yamaha AVR and Celestion A1, this functions well but you may want something else, maybe a stereo amplifier etc.

£50 will get you something like Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's but you need a amp.

Soldato
As for a subwoofer, if it's a PC audio system, where you close to the speaker & sub, you won't need anything massive, a good 10" or 12" will be more than plenty, like SVS SB1000, SVS SB2000, or BK Gemini or BK XLS300.

It's only if it's a larger room, bigger distance from you and the sub, for action movies then best to aim a bit higher.

A sub is there to supplmenet your speakers, not overwealm them.

I do advocate buying a good sub (have a SVS SB12+ and SVS SB Ultra13 myself) but for PC you'll get away with much less, that SB12+ would be max I'd use (12" 425W)

Soldato
I would certainly not even think about a subwoofer at 100, get the 2 best speakers you can get and think about subwoofer later. Also maybe look for some used speakers like apparently the JBL LSR305 or Adam F5 are good, I have not heard many of the active monitors, just looked at reviews. Another option would be a cheap amplifier / dac and some passive speakers, some passive speakers like Dali or Q acoustics or used B&W or Dynaudio are pretty decent for low cost. But really you need more like 200+ just for a decent pair of speakers, then the sub would be that again.

Soldato
Those look similar to the yamaha hs series which are monitors (internally powered by their own amp).

Do you want monitors or you want separate speakers and amp?

Soldato
Everyone's raving about the Razer Nommo. I have some on pre-order, so will let you know what I think when I get them. Not conventional looking, so maybe not to everyone's taste.

Associate
Save up a little if you need to and treat yourself to Ruark MR1's :D You can find some great deals on eBay every now and then.
I have these they sound fantastic. We have them on Atacama stands in the bedroom had the originals. it may sound stupid but upgraded to the newer model and to be honest they sound pretty much the same but the build and the added optical makes them better then the originals for TV use also. And the connections at the back seem a better fitting

Soldato
I have these they sound fantastic. We have them on Atacama stands in the bedroom had the originals. it may sound stupid but upgraded to the newer model and to be honest they sound pretty much the same but the build and the added optical makes them better then the originals for TV use also. And the connections at the back seem a better fitting

I've been trying to find a way to justify buying myself another pair :D so nope it doesn't sound stupid at all! They really are that good. Quite a bit above the OP's budget but I've seen ex display ones in new condition going for £150.

Associate
I've been trying to find a way to justify buying myself another pair :D so nope it doesn't sound stupid at all! They really are that good. Quite a bit above the OP's budget but I've seen ex display ones in new condition going for £150.
I sold my Originals that i had for 3 years for £150 nothing wrong with them at all and still with original box with a few added cables the person i sold them to thought they was brand new lol

Associate
Unless you have a separate amp, you will need active speakers (with amp built in like Studio Monitors) or buy a separate amp.

Studio Monitors are great but many will have a flat response as that is the desired objective for studios.

Look at the range of speakers from Adam, JBL and Rokit in addition to Yamaha, they all have some good speakers at the lower end of the price range.

You may also want to consider a DAC between your PC and the speakers. Some models may have the DAC built in

Soldato
Everyone's raving about the Razer Nommo. I have some on pre-order, so will let you know what I think when I get them. Not conventional looking, so maybe not to everyone's taste.
Finally got around to checking these out - they're terrible. They sound like the £20 computer fair ones I had 20 years ago. :/

Associate
I recently bought the Logitech z333. Was sceptical at First with the low price but they a amazing (for me anyway) I’m not an audiohead so I don’t know what exactly sounds to listen out for etc but there a million times than when I played in the TV speakers. My pc setup n Ina alcove on m walk which makes them sound even better (again I think) round about our price range to

Soldato
Not sure how anyone could recommend passive speakers on your budget? You'd need to add an amp, and that blows us way past £100 for anything good.

Maybe a competent 2.0 active setup. Uncomplicated and adaquate. Something like the Edifier R1600t iiis. If this is for gaming and multimedia and spotify you're more or less covered. If you want more, you'll simply need to up the budget.

Back
Top Bottom