Will taking out a loan affect me getting a mortgage ?

Soldato
As title really.. having car problems and thinking about upgrading which would mean paying off an existing debt (3k) and lending 5/6k. Would this do any damage for me when I'm hoping to buy a house and take a mortgage at the end of the year..

noj

noj

Associate
As title really.. having car problems and thinking about upgrading which would mean paying off an existing debt (3k) and lending 5/6k. Would this do any damage for me when I'm hoping to buy a house and take a mortgage at the end of the year..

It will appear on your credit file and you will have to disclose it on the application. It will come down to lots of other criteria though so in itself it's unlikely to damage your application unless you're declined or get behind in repayments or you're judged to have too many outgoings for your income

Caporegime
As long as you aren't trying to borrow the absolute maximum in terms of your mortgage and your disposable income is still high you will be fine.

Most banks will let you borrow between 4-5 times your HH income if you have low outgoings. The higher your outgoings then the less you can borrow.

So the more you spank on loans, etc, the less they will give you. It's all about your monthly disposable. So it may be worthwhile borrowing your car loan over a longer period such as 5 years.

Remember just because you take a loan out over 5 years doesn't mean you cannot pay it back within 5 days. You can always overpay without penalties if it's a decent bank.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I've had a number of small loans over the years for cars etc and never missed a payment my credit score is decent. I will have to sit down and plug some numbers in then.. and potentially try some affordability calculators to see what I may be able to borrow before and after a loan. I suspect the monthly repayments would only increase by about 40per month which shouldn't be too bad.

Caporegime
what not just wait till the end of the year and take out a larger mortgage, I'd suspect your loan isn't going to match the mortgage interest rate

or if you do take a loan out earlier then you could repay it early once you have the mortgage

Soldato
OP
what not just wait till the end of the year and take out a larger mortgage, I'd suspect your loan isn't going to match the mortgage interest rate

or if you do take a loan out earlier then you could repay it early once you have the mortgage
Not sure my car is going to hold out really.. ideally wanted to just keep it but going to end up trading it in and trying to upgrade while I'm at it.

Caporegime
I posted a thread on this a few months ago. We took out a 25k loan about 2 months prior to applying for a mortgage. We had no issues in being given a mortgage as it was just factored into affordability criteria :)

Similar here, no issues getting the absolute best mortgage product we could find, even with a £30k+ car finance package on the go.

Soldato
I posted a thread on this a few months ago. We took out a 25k loan about 2 months prior to applying for a mortgage. We had no issues in being given a mortgage as it was just factored into affordability criteria :)
That's good to hear, I need to remortgage, and got about 10k on credit cards but the amount i want to borrow is less than 4x annual salaries, and we have low outgoings (no kids/other finance etc)

Soldato
Not sure how much it was factored in but it's worth mentioning that we took the loan out with the same lender as our mortgage (First Direct).

I presume that wouldn't have made a difference though as we previously had 2 loans with other lenders when applying for the mortgage which wasn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom