Why the hell is Acrobat Reader 435 megabytes?

About 10 years ago, Acrobat Reader surpassed 200MB on my home PC. On that principle, I switched to Foxit. This can open PDF files and its directory is under 10MB. Plus, it's portable, so it will survive on drive D: during a reformat and it's there ready to be used again.

dBHZeEn.png

On my work's PC, I notice that Acrobat Reader hangs a lot. I checked its footprint, and surprised I was (and not surprised at the same time) to see that it's now 435MB.

KS97jvZ.png

This isn't the full Adobe Acrobat program where you can create PDFs and it's not Adobe Page Maker either. This is just the bog standard Reader! So any idea why it's such a footprint? When I use a computer, I have high expectations i.e. programs to load up in a snap, so this frustrates me. Same with Word 2010, where first-time use per session takes around 30 seconds to load. Then Outlook 2010 and that's another 30 seconds. On my home PC, I tend to stick to older program versions. Bear in mind that both my work's PC and home PC have a similar CPU Passmark of around 8000.

Soldato
Ahhh Adobe Acrobat and Foxit. :D

I first used Adobe Reader 28 years ago back in to college to read documents, last time I used it long time ago on Windows 8.1 but no longer used Adobe Acrobat on desktop PC and Foxit on tablet and laptops. I uninstalled both when Chrome and Firefox finally got built in PDF reader then Windows 10 finally got PDF reader.

Soldato
Adobe became too bloated so I dumped it. I moved to Sumatra and it's very tiny:
sVcDOcD.png

There's also a portable version like Foxit so I guess it just comes down to personal preferences.

Some colleagues at work actually started having issues printing with the Adobe reader, and even with Edge's built in PDF reader, so installed Sumatra for them and it's had no issues with printing.

Soldato
Adobe became too bloated so I dumped it. I moved to Sumatra and it's very tiny:
sVcDOcD.png

There's also a portable version like Foxit so I guess it just comes down to personal preferences.

Some colleagues at work actually started having issues printing with the Adobe reader, and even with Edge's built in PDF reader, so installed Sumatra for them and it's had no issues with printing.
The seeming lack of updates would concern me. The latest version, v3.1.2, was released on 14/08/2016.

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/news.html

Soldato
The embedded pdf reader in chrome seems good, now frequently use that rather than pdf creator , although I suppose google might read the documents ?

(relating to other thread) compared to the firefox embed, google also allows me to copy pdf text w/o formatting problems

Associate
I stopped using adobe because it got huge, kept needing to update itself all the time and became known as a security hole. I moved on to foxit until browsers started being able to show pdfs, now I use chrome/edge/firefox.

Associate
Adobe reader is longer just a PDF reader, it can display and rotate 3d models embedded into the PDF file.
Even isolate subparts etc...

Yes, acrobat reader was always bloated compared to the likes of foxit et al, but the above may explain why it is massive.

Soldato
yes - maybe that is the X version /260MB as opposed to the plus sized XL/DC version ... the software+website obesity crisis ?
but I suspect adobe makes more from their video software ?? after effects ? (keep meaning to try the trial)

Soldato
Soldato
I had tested Redstone 5 Windows 10 Lean since last night, I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to checked it out, downloaded latest updates and opened some PDF files.

Yes Duke is correct Adobe Acrobat Reader DC folder size is 265MB.

s0YAp3j.png

Soldato
OP
Lots of suggestions here, cheers, and interesting about the web browsers too like Edge and Chrome. Just jump onto Gmail or Google Drive and they can open PDFs without a reader. Firefox can as well, which is around 300MB on my computer, so still less than the 435MB Adobe Reader.

Computer games are in gigabyte territory which is more justified because of the number of operations that a computer game can perform. While 435MB isn't a lot these days with terabyte hard drives, it's still the principle as 435MB seems a lot to open / read / sign / print PDF files.

This bit 3D models below though looks interesting, so will need to look that up.

Adobe reader is longer just a PDF reader, it can display and rotate 3d models embedded into the PDF file.
Even isolate subparts etc...

Back
Top Bottom