FTTP on Demand - whos got it?

Caporegime
So what's it mean if this shows on my cabinet?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available

Is there an availability date for WBC FTTP? Because that's not on-demand, that's FTTP.

Edit: Ah, I see. It's the copy and paste that has hosed the formatting. Ignore the above.

Soldato
1 Gigabit GEA Cablelink (provides access to the Fibre-enabled customer base) £2,000.00 exc VAT
10 Gigabit GEA Cablelink (provides access to the Fibre-enabled customer base) £10,000.00 exc VAT

What is GEA cablelink?

Caporegime
Something that ISPs need to purchase to connect the end of your line that pops out at the exchange into their own network

Associate
Bump for new pricing on this : https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/ho...RgB7BL4KNYn/lKx2YB4Qe6YShZ82RgLO GLsH2e9+mw==

I'm yet to figure out what the TCO would be but getting rid of the distance charges and bringing the prices down significantly should help some.

From 1st Feb next year there's a 12 month contract option of 160/30 for £92 connection and £254 annual

On top of that looks like there's a one-off survey and design charge of £245 and a build charge - I'd be interested if anyone has received a quote

Soldato
The openreach pricing will going to cost lots more because ISP's will added profit on it plus
FTTP on Demand Distance Based Charge will be replaced by demand build charge which while it will be lower for some is going to be higher for others.

And the work will take 12 weeks to be completed as well.

Soldato
Hopefully with the new pricing Zen will provide it as an option, I asked them earlier this year and they wouldn't even quote for it due to insane costs.

Soldato
If Zen or Plusnet offer FTTPoD with more cheaper attractive pricing, I would grab FTTPoD 330/50.

I think both FTTP & FTTPoD doesn't have any dreaded DLM on it.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Whether other ISPs get involved will probably depend on whether Openreach simplifies the process (in addition to making it cheaper). Case managing a fibre run for one customer just isn't worth the bother.

Soldato
Bump for new pricing on this : https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucFf0dXUIWK4XSAplAmgrRZNg5Pk+5/+kRgB7BL4KNYn/lKx2YB4Qe6YShZ82RgLO GLsH2e9+mw==

I'm yet to figure out what the TCO would be but getting rid of the distance charges and bringing the prices down significantly should help some.

From 1st Feb next year there's a 12 month contract option of 160/30 for £92 connection and £254 annual

On top of that looks like there's a one-off survey and design charge of £245 and a build charge - I'd be interested if anyone has received a quote

Don't forget those prices are excluding VAT so add 20%. Then add on the ISPs profit as that will be wholesale cost. Yes it will MUCH more reasonable, but still a hefty chunk!

I will definitely enquire though and obtain a quote. Also looks to be a £700 plus VAT build charge too?

Caporegime
I wouldn't expect FTTPoD to suddenly become "affordable" - it's going to be a decent four figures per premises. I imagine even finding an ISP to do the survey will be reasonably tricky.

Caporegime
I know, I just don't think it's going to be an ubiquitous product offering. It will be something offered by business ISPs and attract business ISP levels of pricing, at least until the first year is out the way and then people have the option of any FTTP-enabled ISP, which is still currently a small number.

Soldato
I got a quote from Cerberus Networks

"We have now received the estimate of the charges from BT. These are detailed below.

Estimated Build Cost: £13,600.00 ex VAT
The build charge includes the estimate for the work and materials required to deliver the service. It also includes the connection charge.

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 14
The build estimate includes a reduction for the number of premises passed as these would be able to obtain FTTP as a consequence of your build. Customers at these premises may submit a linked FTTPoD order to share the construction costs. You will receive a discount of £700.00 ex VAT from this figure for each linked order that is served by your build. Linked orders may be submitted to Cerberus Networks at the customer’s own risk. If one order is cancelled this will cancel all the linked orders so you must find a way for all parties to work together to share any costs."

They obviously can't be serious about selling FTTPoD to anybody!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’d be willing to pay up to £10,000 as that’s the sort of money that you could chuck on a mortgage and pay off long term (as an investment in your home) but otherwise, no chance.

Frustratingly, the only way to get decent internet remains to be a winner in the postcode lottery. Sadly, I’ve never been that lucky so I’m a bit bitter :p

Back
Top Bottom