• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Finally @melmac please tell me where I said developers would stop making games?

Can you guys at least reply to what I've actually said, rather than a) Making stuff up about me or b) Constructing straw men all the damn time?

I have now edited my post because I on reading it again I realised I left out a couple of words.

It should have been pretty clear what I meant though, the conversation wasn't that hard to follow. Stop trying to play the victim.

Caporegime
It should have been pretty clear what I meant though, the conversation wasn't that hard to follow. Stop trying to play the victim.
I can only respond to what you write, not the idea you had in your head (but didn't write).

So sorry...
Half of them are probably doing it to get a rise out of people like yourself, and the other half are being quite genuine. I'm with the half who are genuine, I mean if all this wasn't happening how many of you would actually be buying new cards?

I would likely have bought a 1070 if it had been priced like the 970. (£280 vs £420)

I would likely have bought Vega 56 if it had been a) lower power and b) not insanely expensive.

There's two opportunities to buy cards that have already come and gone, where I had my wallet out ready to buy, but prices were beyond what I was prepared to pay (and in the case of Vega I was just overall disappointed with AMD's effort).

The idea that we're moaning for fun is a bit silly, really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can only respond to what you write, not the idea you had in your head (but didn't write).

So sorry...

I would likely have bought a 1070 if it had been priced like the 970. (£280 vs £420)

I would likely have bought Vega 56 if it had been a) lower power and b) not insanely expensive.

There's two opportunities to buy cards that have already come and gone, where I had my wallet out ready to buy, but prices were beyond what I was prepared to pay (and in the case of Vega I was just overall disappointed with AMD's effort).

The idea that we're moaning for fun is a bit silly, really.

The 1070 was available for 375 on launch according to some historic price comparison sites. Expecting it to be the same price as a card released when exchange rates were above 1.60 when they were then more like 1.40 is a bit naive, surely. Basically it sounds like you are never going to buy another GPU because you don't like inflation.

£280 was the price back in the old days when AMD tried to actually release competing products and a pound was worth something. You don't have to like it, but whinging about it won't actually get you very far, sorry.

Soldato

The rest of my post fully explained everything I was saying. Sorry it was too complicated for you to follow.

I would likely have bought a 1070 if it had been priced like the 970. (£280 vs £420).

You know perfectly well that the uncertainty with Brexit made a big difference to the exchange rate. But, even then, There were still bargains to be had. I bought a Palit 1070 with a good cooler for £369. I know OCUK were doing special deals for the 980ti around that time, they had 980ti's for £299. So there were plenty of chances to upgrade.

Soldato
The USD launch price for the GTX970 was $329. The GTX1070 was between $379 and $449,with the $449 FE being the one that was generally easier to get in quantity(IIRC) immediately after launch.

Edit!!

OcUK,pricing started at £365 for a single GTX1070 model at launch with a blower cooler and £390 for one with an aftermarket cooler,then followed by the FE starting at £400:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/nvidia-gtx-1070-wanna-pre-order.18734903/

The exchange rate was around $1.43 to a pound:

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/b...ound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2016-06-10

IIRC,the FE models tended to have larger quantities available though.

OcUK were offering aftermarket GTX970 cards for as low as £260 within a month of launch:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...x-970-4gb-zotac-geforce-gtx-980-4gb.18630567/

The exchange rate was $1.61 to the pound:

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/b...ound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2014-10-17

So the pound was 12.6% stronger in 2014.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is also Gpus nowadays don't fall in price after some time. Both Nvidia and AMD release the gpu and keep the price at the same level till next gen. The only time it makes sense to buy a Gpu now is directly after release. The 1080 is the only Gpu this gen, of which i can think of a price reduction over time. Even if they now reach their old prices, it's just not worth it.

Soldato
The problem is also Gpus nowadays don't fall in price after some time. Both Nvidia and AMD release the gpu and keep the price at the same level till next gen. The only time it makes sense to buy a Gpu now is directly after release. The 1080 is the only Gpu this gen, of which i can think of a price reduction over time. Even if they now reach their old prices, it's just not worth it.

This is why I'd only ever buy on release. The 1080 price falling makes sense, considering on release it was top dog then moves into a more moderate bracket when there's something better.

Back
Top Bottom