Philips Fidelio X1

Associate
Hi,

I have a set of Fedelio X1's and the left ear has become faulty.

If I hold the cable forward both headphones work but if I don't than only the right ear will work ... have tried multiple cables and the same.

Have also noticed the left ear is starting to rattle a bit even with only 25% volume.

Have these seen there day or can they be repaired?

cheers.

Soldato
Cable issue sounds like an internal connection problem.

The rattle could be something that has got lodged in the driver diaphragm. That happened to me with a pair of Sennheiser PX100's which started to distort.

Not looked at how easy it is to dismantle the headphones, but some are easier than others. Depends on how confident you are with a DIY repair, if you can get them apart; otherwise you'll probably have to find a local place who can fix the cable issue. Might be worth doing if you can't fix them yourself, as a new pair of headphones that are as good, you'd probably have to spend at least £100 to replace them, if you can find somewhere that doesn't charge too much that is.

Soldato
Yep, that's some internal connection problem, likely soldering of other driver's wire to connector has broken.

Beyerdynamics are very easy to open/strip to parts, but don't know if others are as easy.
(after removing ear pads you remove one locking ring to detach driver assembly from cup)

Fidelio seems to have some screws visible if you remove pads so that would be good start.

Associate
OP
cheers guys,

I've never soldered before but will take a look at dismantling the faulty side and see if anything stands out.

If I can't fix them can you recommend a new set? (similar price & comfort) ... I mostly listen to Trance (hard/progressive) and similar.

Soldato
Besides soldering of wire to connector failing wire might be breaking up just at end of where solder has spread in wire.
(solder makes multistranded wire "solid" and if flexible part of it moves stresses are focused to where wire turns from flexible to solid)
If cable goes to left side then it's possible for also driver end of wire to be at fault if wire is tight.

Not sure how much you paid for those, but Fidelio X1 has strong above neutral bass immersion.
Other than Fidelio X2 Beyerdynamic DT990 has very similar frequency response. (with similar performance in games)
AKG K712 is AKG's vision of above neutral level stronger bass immersion.

Associate
OP
Took apart the left earphone and the white cable was only just connected and eventually came off.

I noticed that there were 2 of the clips missing that hold the foam pads to the headphones themselves ... I guess the previous owner had dismantled them before. I bought these about 18 months ago off ebay for £90.

I'll see if my neighbor will attempt a solder repair before buying a set of replacements but will either be the X2's or K712.

1wIXMpw.jpg

Soldato
Reckon that can be fixed, but as above, X2's and K712's are good options.

Had both myself and preferred the sound of the K712 as an all rounder, though prefer the build of the X2.

If you listen to anything else apart from trance and game the K712 is your best bet.

Can always try and return for free easily from the big place.

Associate
OP
Have attached some better pics mate.

I have also ordered the X2's & K712 to test, my neighbor can't resolder the X1's for me (he did explain but I didn't have a clue what he was on about) but he also thinks the white wire is also damaged further up.

ffwJKrD.jpg.png
qqfkUix.jpg.png

Man of Honour
Yeah looks like the pad itself has been pulled away - would need significantly more work to rectify - probably have to trace it back and solder to the connection.

EDIT: Assuming it is the ground - then probably the blob next to it - the setup is a little messy so I can't be sure.

Back
Top Bottom