Building a new gaming rig.

Associate
OP
I would have gone with the Gaming 7 for an extra £25 (Assuming you don't need the onboard wifi) as you get a free cooler worth £69 which you could sell. The board still qualifies for Far Cry 5 as well.

Yeah I need the on-board Wi-Fi. The free cooler might have been nice but I've yet to get into the selling business haha

Associate
OP
This waiting is horrible, quite busy painting and decorating unfortunately.

Few more question though. Do I need any 120mm fans for the In win 303C case? Or should the 360mm liquid cooler and the fans on the zotac 1070 amp edition keep the rig cool enough?

Additionally, should I decide to buy 120mm fans in the future, do I need to take apart the whole system to fit them in?

Thanks again,

Scott.

Soldato
This waiting is horrible, quite busy painting and decorating unfortunately.

Few more question though. Do I need any 120mm fans for the In win 303C case? Or should the 360mm liquid cooler and the fans on the zotac 1070 amp edition keep the rig cool enough?

Additionally, should I decide to buy 120mm fans in the future, do I need to take apart the whole system to fit them in?

Thanks again,

Scott.

you'll be running negative pressure so the fans will be sucking in air from all gaps in the case. technically this is the most efficient way to cool BUT is a dust magnet as it draws in just from all gaps.
If you do go an buy fans, then you can mount them at the bottom without having to remove a thing and will supply direct air into the case- aka positive pressure and should cut down on dust .

when mounting the AIO. mount he Rad to the frame with barbs facing the window and to the right hand side. then mount the fans to the rad so its pushing air through it and out the back . also this looks visual the best and cools well :D
then mount the PSU

Associate
OP
you'll be running negative pressure so the fans will be sucking in air from all gaps in the case. technically this is the most efficient way to cool BUT is a dust magnet as it draws in just from all gaps.
If you do go an buy fans, then you can mount them at the bottom without having to remove a thing and will supply direct air into the case- aka positive pressure and should cut down on dust .

when mounting the AIO. mount he Rad to the frame with barbs facing the window and to the right hand side. then mount the fans to the rad so its pushing air through it and out the back . also this looks visual the best and cools well :D
then mount the PSU

You're a great help mate thanks again for the detailed reply

Scott.

Associate
OP
Cable management could be better but everything appears to be working, although I don't know how to find out if the liquid cooler pump is actually functioning, any tips?

I've went and accidentally installed windows 10 S... the software part is proving a big huddle because internet isn't up properly till Friday lol.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll probably be posting more questions through the night. Hopefully not though

Scott.

Soldato
Cable management could be better but everything appears to be working, although I don't know how to find out if the liquid cooler pump is actually functioning, any tips?

I've went and accidentally installed windows 10 S... the software part is proving a big huddle because internet isn't up properly till Friday lol.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll probably be posting more questions through the night. Hopefully not though

Scott.

Right, make sure you plug the Coolers fans into the CPU_Header and plug the pumps 3 pin into a system fan header !

Go into bios and go to Fan 5 and there you should be able to set speeds. Select system fan and set to 100% ! Should see RPM hot 2300/2600 ! And just about hear it with your ear next to it. Very important pump is set to max, what's it's designed for .

Gets some pics up of that bad boy !

Associate
OP
Right, make sure you plug the Coolers fans into the CPU_Header and plug the pumps 3 pin into a system fan header !

Go into bios and go to Fan 5 and there you should be able to set speeds. Select system fan and set to 100% ! Should see RPM hot 2300/2600 ! And just about hear it with your ear next to it. Very important pump is set to max, what's it's designed for .

Gets some pics up of that bad boy !

Hey man I'll do that later this morning, feel like I should be sending you a cheque at this rate! Haha.

I managed to get some time on wow last night due to the fact it was already installed on my older ssd which i fitted to the case. Graphics were set to the max at 1440p and I downloaded core temp. The cpu did not go above 49c of I remember correctly so I just assumed the pump was working fine. Idle it's in the high 20's I believe.

Another thing is the way the pump leads have a slight bend as the touch the tempered glass when I close the case over, think when it's time to change the thermal paste I will rotate the pump as it's slightly irritating me. Don't believe it will cause any problems though as the leads seem very sturdy but flexible.

Thanks again mate.

Scott.

Soldato
With the design you can install the pump any orientation . Yeah, silent loop tubes are longer then most which is a blessing and a curse !
Sounds like pump is working , at 100% should lower it a tad but look all good. Damn, can't wait to see , should look slick in that case !

Next wow expansion should tax your system more :) and look a lot more prettier !

Also don't forget to set XMP for ram in bios :)

Actually, you should be able to upscale WoW to 4k ! Haha

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With the design you can install the pump any orientation . Yeah, silent loop tubes are longer then most which is a blessing and a curse !
Sounds like pump is working , at 100% should lower it a tad but look all good. Damn, can't wait to see , should look slick in that case !

Next wow expansion should tax your system more :) and look a lot more prettier !

Also don't forget to set XMP for ram in bios :)

Actually, you should be able to upscale WoW to 4k ! Haha

XMP has been set along with an overclock of 4.8ghz. Gave it a wee stress test this morning and temps didn't go over 70c with cpu voltage of 1.3v. Uncore ratio of 40 at the moment but I don't know much about it.

I'll post pics when I have proper internet and I'll need to sign up to some sort of image host to get them on here i suppose haha.

Thanks again for your help. Internet should be installed today and I'll be on steam with about 500gb of games waiting to be installed

Scott.

Soldato
nice to hear mate ! I use imgur , use to use photobucket but now have to pay =/

thats good mate ! worth getting the uncore/cashe ratio up . normally its 3/4 under what the core ratio is , i.e 48 & 44 . once done, give Asus Real Bench a go with stress test , 8GB ram limit and 30 mins to see how it fares :)

also, set VCore LLC to Turbo ! guide below and scroll down to step 5

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

you should as well with that ram kit and xmp enabled, be able to to change System Memory Multiplier from 32 to 33.33 or is a drop down menu appears select 3333hz :)

I hit 4000hz but that required changing all the timings etc

Associate
OP

thats good mate ! worth getting the uncore/cashe ratio up . normally its 3/4 under what the core ratio is , i.e 48 & 44 . once done, give Asus Real Bench a go with stress test , 8GB ram limit and 30 mins to see how it fares :)

you should as well with that ram kit and xmp enabled, be able to to change System Memory Multiplier from 32 to 33.33 or is a drop down menu appears select 3333hz :)

Yeah that's the guide I've been using, cheers. I've done the settings that you suggested. Might even try lowering the Vcore to 1.28 see what happens. ILL be properly stress testing when the internet comes and I'm able to download more programs.

Just tried a little cpu bench and suddenly temp on 1 of the cores hit 81c. Higher than I want.

This is all still quite new to me though. Thanks for replying dude.

Scott.

Soldato
no worries mate. Yeah the lower you can get the voltage the better . 4.8ghz is nice sweet spot , i tend to increase/decrease vcore them by 0.005 +/- . Takes long since its such a a small increase but least you can find the max limit

keep an eye on temps when benchmarking but to be honest your just looking to get a stable system. when gaming you'll notice the temp wont reach as high. 5.1ghz for me hits 88c CPU benchmarks but 62c odd when doing intensive CPU bound games

Associate
OP
no worries mate. Yeah the lower you can get the voltage the better . 4.8ghz is nice sweet spot , i tend to increase/decrease vcore them by 0.005 +/- . Takes long since its such a a small increase but least you can find the max limit

keep an eye on temps when benchmarking but to be honest your just looking to get a stable system. when gaming you'll notice the temp wont reach as high. 5.1ghz for me hits 88c CPU benchmarks but 62c odd when doing intensive CPU bound games

Great advice thanks again, I'll be keeping the temps displayed constantly because I feel like the system is my child and I want to look after it hahaha. Yeah I imagine the benching programs stress it far more than games do.

Atilla total war is my nemesis, it's the real bench/stress test that I have in mind lol

5.1ghz is a crazy speed well done. I'm also considering purchasing two fans for the underside of the case to blow air up the way but I'll research a bit more on airflow first.

Soldato
Great advice thanks again, I'll be keeping the temps displayed constantly because I feel like the system is my child and I want to look after it hahaha. Yeah I imagine the benching programs stress it far more than games do.

Atilla total war is my nemesis, it's the real bench/stress test that I have in mind lol

5.1ghz is a crazy speed well done. I'm also considering purchasing two fans for the underside of the case to blow air up the way but I'll research a bit more on airflow first.

it is worth it to get some positive pressure into the case to stop to much dust build up from negative pressure. cant remember if that case had dust filter on the bottom, if not, worth getting some with extra fans for magnetic 360 dust panel from DEMC

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £28.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

believe the case is steel, once fans are installed, slap that the the underside of the case on the outside

Associate
OP
it is worth it to get some positive pressure into the case to stop to much dust build up from negative pressure. cant remember if that case had dust filter on the bottom, if not, worth getting some with extra fans for magnetic 360 dust panel from DEMC

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £28.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

believe the case is steel, once fans are installed, slap that the the underside of the case on the outside

Yeah there is definelty a dust filter on the underside of the case. I will only be able to install 2 fans though, there is room for 3 but I think the fans won't leave enough room for the cables that connect the motherboard to the front of the case.

Btw I love the case, good recomendation dude.

Back
Top Bottom