Old soil pipe... help

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The previous owner of our flat made a number of changes internally, one of them being to enlarge the old bathroom, remove it and convert it into a room and then have a new bathroom elsewhere in the property.

She did this 10(!) years ago and while she got the new pipes etc. plumbed in and the soil pipe corrected, she left the old soil pipe there. So, out the back of the house there is a soil pipe which goes into the wall which has just been blocked up. This soil pipe is cemented (or whatever) into the wall. She also left all the other waste pipes going in, though were simply cut off and just left there. Not even blocked up (I temporarily blocked them up, didn't fancy rodents getting in the walls :rolleyes:).

What's the most sensible way of removing this unused soil pipe? Nothing else feeds into it, both the new bathroom and the upstairs bathroom feeds into a new soil pipe on a completely different wall.

It's pretty solidly in the wall - what precautions should I take so I don't cause any major damage to the wall and then what do I do with the whole left in the ground?

Alternately, if I get someone in, who should I approach? It's not really a plumbing job.

Cheers chaps.

Soldato
general builder if you want a pro.

DIY just pull them out block the small holes with coloured cement block the big hole with suitable bricks/stones then fill the hole in the ground with concrete or just plastic cap at ground level.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks @a1ex2001 - so I'll give it a bit of welly and remove it trying not to disturb the whole wall too much. So once out I can fill that one with bricks/whatever and then cement over - can I use ready mixed cement (or should I use a particular type)? The extension is rendered (but not yet painted, don't get me started on that), so filling with cement/coloured cement doesn't matter too much as I aim to paint the extension after this. Will the cement then effectively be water tight?

Simple questions, I know!

Soldato
If you're worried about it looking bad if it's in brickwork and you are diying this just cut it off about 25mm from the wall, fill the pipe with mineral wool and cap it off with a soil end cap. Yes you will see a plastic circle in elevation but it's probably preferable to cement if you don't want to start chopping bricks out.

Soldato
Cool just pull it out then and fill it up. On the ones I did here a fixed a bit of ply to the inner face to stop it all falling in, don't mix it too wet either.

Associate
Cut the pipe, then cut the bricks out that have previously been cut to accommodate the pipe and replace them. Finish with render.
Might need a builder to do it if you’re not confident but it shouldn’t take more than a day for someone competent, at the very most 1 and 1/2 days.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks gents - I'll give it a go this Sunday assuming the weather is fine. Appreciate the help! Final q. is there a particular type of cement I should use to fill the hole?

In this instance, cement in the hole and then render over the top?

Back
Top Bottom