Need PSU advice 750w or 850w

Associate
My Ryzen 2700x and Asus CH7 are on their way. 8Pack DDR4 memory arriving tomorrow. Bought an ASUS GTX1080ti Strix from OCuk when they had that huge discount offer.

Was initially thinking I will keep my current 850w coolermaster PSU.. but been thinking since I am spending quite a bit on the upgrade already I should just go ahead with the PSU change as well since my current one is over 10 years old! Saying that I have not noticed any issues with it, seems to be running as normal still. But I don't want it to fail after the new parts are put in and risk damaging anything else so I might as well go for a new one.

Been looking at the EVGA Supernova P2 850w or the Corsair RM850i, both have 10 year warranty. Question is do I need 850? I don't plan to do any SLI anytime soon, but will look at overclocking the CPU, and GPU.

Also are there cheaper alternatives to the above mentioned that are just as reliable or maybe even better for the same price range? (Max about £140)

Associate
10 years ago the system tended to be powered mostly by the 5V rails - now it's the 12V rails.

Try comparing your current system's PSU to an equivalent wattage one for the amperage on the 5V and 12V rails.

Soldato
Not much of overclocking room in Ryzens.
And with manual overclocking disabling core boost automatics most games would just likely slow down from little overclocking.
That's unless you manage to push all core clocks past 4,3 GHz...
Which is unlikely without heavy overvolting shooting power consumption/heat output through roof.
When you can drop in Zen2/Zen2+ CPU in year or two for lot more usage life increase there just isn't sense in that overvolting.

That factory overclocked 1080 Ti is near 300W card
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_Ti_Strix_OC/27.html
Already clocked over optimal spot so further clocking might be only good for room heating.
Anyway games certainly won't put full load to all CPU cores so 750W would be enough.
Assuming rather excessive for gaming 100W for CPU that would make total max draw still below 450W.

Seasonic Focus Plus serie has best price for high quality PSU.
750W 80+ Gold is just little over £100.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=seasonic+focus+plus

Soldato
Why don't you just keep using your current PSU?

I've had the same unit for around 7-8 years running daily (bar holidays) and its never missed a beat.

Currently running an overclocked Xeon, 1070, 7 HDD's,, DVD, 240 AIO, and 9 LED fans.

Associate
OP
Found a 1000 EVGA G1+ for £109, ordered it, was cheaper then the 850W version for some reason! (bit overkill I know but thats me always buying things on impulse).
I am planning to keep this system for at least another decade lol, so I told my self at the time of purchase the extra wattage will allow me to plug in another 1080ti in a few years time when they become cheap! to up my graphics power without having to spend on another new GPU as well as add other devices and things without having to worry about power limits..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom