Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Man of Honour
whats the issue with the time?
it's a non emergency situation and you can get on with your day to day stuff, Its far better than waiting on a phone like a normal bank, on top of that everything is in writing. They have a phone number if you need emergency stuff like blocking card.

Associate
With monzo I keep my holiday money in a pot, and just transfer over when I require some keeping a very low amount in my actual account

This would prevent this happening on holiday and also let's you see how much spending money you have left

Associate
You guy are worrying me here. Is the situation really that bad?

Ive been using my revolut card loads (paid for the premium one) and have quite a few euros from the whole bitcoin thing plus some sterling ive loaded onto it.

I was using it in barcelona to pay for things in euros also which was cool (using the euros on it)

I am finding myself using it more and more because i like the interface

Soldato
You guy are worrying me here. Is the situation really that bad?

Ive been using my revolut card loads (paid for the premium one) and have quite a few euros from the whole bitcoin thing plus some sterling ive loaded onto it.

I was using it in barcelona to pay for things in euros also which was cool (using the euros on it)

I am finding myself using it more and more because i like the interface
I have both Monzo and Revolut and use them only for holidays. I wouldn't keep any large amounts of money on them for very long as there is just no protection if someone clones the card.

Soldato
No idea, I dunno if the ATM talks to the bank when withdrawing cash, it might for all I know, and then the names are different resulting in computer says no.

//I have no idea how these things work, just don't want extra faff.

But if the name is wrong on the card it will be wrong in Revoluts database too so the two will match up.

Anyway, yeah a two hour wait is a pain, but probably better then sitting on hold only to get through to a foreign call centre reading from a script. I have Revolut, Starling, and Mozo. The former being very different to the later two and useful in ways that they are not. Overall Starling wins hands down for me.

Man of Honour
I have both Monzo and Revolut and use them only for holidays. I wouldn't keep any large amounts of money on them for very long as there is just no protection if someone clones the card.
this is just false. they have same protection as normal banks.

Service is poor and there seems to be very little protection for fraud.

All to save a few pennies? Not worth the risk in my opinion.
where do you get that from.

Edit - my bad I thought they had a full banking license, seems it hasn't been granted yet, so you are right. Switch to monzo and others which do have full banking license and thus protection is no different to any other bank.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a revolut card and think it's great. I don't mind their CS, they've been fine for me as well and I've had to use them for me forgetting to put the right ref. on transfers etc. but they're always OK for me. Wait can be a pain, but it tells you when they're there and they instantly help.

Soldato
this is just false. they have same protection as normal banks.

where do you get that from.

Edit - my bad I thought they had a full banking license, seems it hasn't been granted yet, so you are right. Switch to monzo and others which do have full banking license and thus protection is no different to any other bank.
I think Monzo has full bank protection now but not sure about Revolut. I don't even use my normal NatWest debit card for buying anything, I use my credit card for everything

Man of Honour
I think Monzo has full bank protection now but not sure about Revolut. I don't even use my normal NatWest debit card for buying anything, I use my credit card for everything
Anything valued under 100 you have no more protection on credit cards as you do on debit. The whole credit card protection is needed over debit card is massively over blown.
And yes monzo has full license.

Soldato
I've opened a Starling account and on first impression it looks more like a banking app than Revolut. However, I'm a bit surprised and dismayed to see that they've given me an initial overdraft limit of £10,000.

Commissario
I've opened a Starling account and on first impression it looks more like a banking app than Revolut. However, I'm a bit surprised and dismayed to see that they've given me an initial overdraft limit of £10,000.
£10k?! Damn they've only give me £2,500!

Soldato

Drop them a message and let them know your concerns. I did as I got quite a generous overdraft! I just reduced it using the slider.

Associate

That's because it is a banking app. You can choose your overdraft at the start and reduce it at any time in app by clicking the 's' logo (top right) and going to 'overdraft'.

Soldato
Use Revolut as I travel a lot - been fantastic so far.

Have premium so also have access to virtual cards which I can load, buy items and then destroy if I don't trust the website for whatever reason.

Associate
The most reaction I get when using the Monzo card is the colour (Pink) when abroad everyone seems to want one and asks how they can get one
Now they have started putting a cap on daily withdrawals I have ditched my Monzo - was offered a current account but declined

Have a starling card but never used it

Soldato
The most reaction I get when using the Monzo card is the colour (Pink) when abroad everyone seems to want one and asks how they can get one
Now they have started putting a cap on daily withdrawals I have ditched my Monzo - was offered a current account but declined

Have a starling card but never used it
Haha when i was in america the amount of 'Cool card dude!' I got was funny!

Back
Top Bottom