will a 160w psu cripple with a 65w cpu + 40w gpu?

Soldato
picked up an old Hp Pavilion S3322.UK slimeline with hp 19" monitor earlier. was only £20 and i wanted the screen, but thinking i might have some fun with the computer.

it has a IPILP-AR motherboard with only supports 2gb ram which it has, came with an E2140 which is apart for fresh paste, so trying to find my e4000 series processor i have spare which is still probably 65w and the gpu supplied is an HD2350, but looking up the board it doesnt seem restricted on the slot like most branded computers and so thinking of tracking down a cheap LP R7 240, but i know theses are 40w, it has a 250gb hdd which i will keep in it if it works still, but also seen a spot i could rest a ssd instead.

i could get a dx10 card, but its been awhile since i had a 240 or any LP dx11 card for that matter.

Soldato
Honestly I wouldn't bother with the PSU being at least 10 years old it'll be much weaker than it was new, if you want it for some really light gaming then a HD 6670 or GTX 550 might be the best bets, you can get them for £20 although I think it'll be pushing the PSU way to far.

Soldato
OP
thanks for reply.

since i made this post i had remembered my gt610, so ive fitted that for now, whole thing did okay during the installation of windows and some updates, installing origin games on this computer, so turned the HP off for now. while your suggestions are good, i have never seen them in a low profile size and with low bracket?

i dont know what i want to do with it, see how far i can improve it i guess, will see what games it can run for video recording purposes though, i might even put it behind tv downstairs and put it to use, i know i would be able to get my money back easy selling it on.

Associate
Plus, that wattage is estimated - it's not the instantaneous load it can experience. 10 years of capacitor degrading will not help that either.

Have fun with it, just don't invest more than you can lose/fry.

Soldato
OP
thanks for reply.

yeah i dont plan on spending much, found a C2D E6600 for couple quid which i might buy, not much i can do without a motherboard swap which i dont think is possible due to the 2x12 mini power connector. i just get fed up of transferring my GT610 to computers just because its spare lol, will probably test games on it later, Hitman Absolution is analysed to run on this system on low if i improve my gpu, recently installed Batman Arkham Asylum which should run on it medium-high, but that game stutters and frames all over the place on my Sig system despite being able to play on high settings(default too), but they might be down to downloading other origin games in the background, so this HP has some potential in theory.

Back
Top Bottom