Driving myself crazy here - is there an all round closed music / gaming headphone?

Soldato
Closed is much more preferable as I am getting to many complaints whilst late night gaming or listening to music from the missus. She has very selective hearing but one has to live with these things to keep the peace.

I also want a single solution but it must be at least equal to or an improvement on my current setup for both music and gaming.

For gaming I use some Sennheiser 363D with the dongle.
For music I use Sennheiser HD650 into a Marantz HD-DAC1 via USB.

DAC stays, no question. I am bored of supposed 'gaming audio post processing' and I only really play PUBG and nothing really works with it so going back to stereo. Thinking of using a Modmic on some good closed headphones and running the audio through my DAC and the mic through a USB converter (can I even do this?)

I'm going to struggle to do this am I not? Cannot see anything out there to justify a decent outlay. Been looking at:

Meze 99 classics - no improvement
Shure SRH 1540 - probably better for gaming but not for music
Audioquest Nightowl Carbon - mixed reviews but an interesting option for £350
Denon AH-D7200 - looking like the best option (can get for a good price arounf £350) but slapping a modmic on wood?!?!?

Have I missed anything? Shall I just buy her earplugs? :D

Soldato
Just how thin walls you got or is PC in sleeping room?

If not wanting to attach ModMic into some wooden cup of headphone "lavalier" mic could be option.

Soldato
I'm using my Beyerdynamic DT1990 for everything these days, my HD650 and HE400i can't get a look in. They are classed as open back by Beyer but I would say that they are semi open at best and leak very little sound at all. They have a nice soundstage for gaming and insane amounts of detail, so footsteps will be easily heard. They also have superb, strong bass that digs very, very deep but doesn't seem to interfere with the rest of the spectrum. Mids are slightly recessed giving them something of a mild U shaped response curve but for the most part they are pretty neutral, with a bit of boost at either end. Bass is better than on the DT770 in that it's fast and crisp with no hint of boominess and the highs are several leagues above those of the DT990, you get a nice shimmer on cymbals and ridiculous amounts of detail but rarely does anything sound sibilant. They are also stupidly comfortable and I can wear them for hours on end without discomfort and they are built like tanks, so will last for many years. All in all, easily the best headphones I have ever owned. :)

Soldato
OP
Man you change your headphones a lot! :D

Weirdly my other option for an all-rounder, whilst buying her earplugs was the Beyer Amiron Home, not thought about the DT 1990.

Itching to buy something though, had my HD650 for a while now and will get a decent price for them along with the 363D which can go towards the new set.

Man of Honour
Supposedly the Sony MDR-Z7 are decent all around closed design that sound as close to an open design as you can get. Not tried them myself though.

Other than that Beyerdynamic are one of the better bets for closed.

Soldato
OP
Sony's are a bit rich pricewise have also looked at those but forgot to mention.

Not considered the DT 1770 PRO's but am now looking at as Rids mentioned the 990's.

I can get the Denon AH-D7200 for £300 which is seriously tempting me though............

Soldato
The DT1990 and Amiron Home are two sides of the same coin. The DT1990 is more aggresive and detail oriented while the Amiron is more laid back, they still have good lows and highs, just not as strong as the DT1990 while their mids are slightly more forward - some people have described them as HD650 on steroids :D

I don't really change my headphones that often as I don't actually change them, they are still here when I want them, it's more that my collection continues to grow. My full size headphone collection has slowly climbed in quality over the years ... Beyer DT990, AKG K702, HD650, HE400i and DT1990 with the first two now relegated to the cupboard. My two stands (mug trees) hold the HD650, HE400i, DT1990 and my Sony MDR-1A for more mobile use.

My next purchase will either be the Amiron or the Audeze LCD2c but that comes after a new washing machine :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Amiron's are my real want. I would like to build a collection again but just cannot justify it. Did have 4 at one point (Grado SR225e, X2, K550 & HD650 but ditched them all and kept the Senns.

Might just have to get the Amiron's and buy her some earplugs. They are the only headphones out there without spending silly money that tick all the boxes.

Soldato
I managed to get the DT1990's for £330 as an Amazon Warehouse deal - I watched and watched and eventually they had a clearout and the prices plummeted for one day, so if you don't mind getting a customer return it's well worth doing. The pair I got were basically new, with just the one cable and set of pads used, the buyer must have tried them for a short while and sent them straight back. The Amirons are currently £400 as a Warehouse deal, which isn't bad though they may well drop below that when they really want to get rid of them.

I was looking at the Denon D7200 when I bought the DT1990's but got scared off by wildly varying reports of their treble spike. Apparently the D7000 wasn't bad but the D7100 was supposed to have had a terrible treble spike - most reports I read said that the D7200 was closer to the D7000.

Soldato
OP
Well the D7200 can be had with full 2 year warranty but a manufacturers refurb for £300. Authorised dealer. The refurb part puts me off a little, but the price is really tempting.

Soldato
OP
Ah man. Had a change of heart. Its the gaming that annoys her the most. The late night gunfire.

I'm going to keep my 650's, sell the 363D's and buy some of what I have had before and gave to a friend.

AKG K550 MK3 are only £129 in RS. Get those, run them out of my DAC, get a Modmic and then I will have a better gaming experience and on the times I want the music loud late at night, I will just use them. Normally half-cut anyway. :D

Save my pennies up for something much greater in a few months. These are intriguing me but I dread to think how much they might be - https://avprogear.com/meze-audio-empyrean-isodynamic-hybrid-array-headphone

OcUK Staff
Associate
Go to Screwfix mate and pick up your missus a pair of 'headphones' for £30, problem solved. ;)

sa8500.jpg

Soldato
D7200 not that great really. Too big for a normal sized head so they fall off and get really stuffy and hot. Only headphone I've had with a bloom of sub-bass though.

Ultrasone pro 900s were painful to wear and painful with treble.

Currently I just went with the best wireless headphone in the world from Japan the Audio Technica Bluetooth ones for £500. Sound as good as they could with Bluetooth really. No good for pubg due to latency though. The new B&Os have LL codec though.

Soldato
OP
Ditched the D7200 idea and picked up some AKG K550 MK3's from RS for £129 for the meantime.

Second time I have owned these, albeit a previous model, but man are good for the price. Removable cable now and they seemed to have tuned a bit more bottom end into them. My new gaming / late night loud music cans.

Got a second hand Samson Go Mic connect on the way to try out for gaming, but if it is no good just going to slap a modmic on them.

Still on the lookout for the ultimate all in one solution though.

Back
Top Bottom