What have you done to your car today?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
chrome_2018-04-29_13-20-20.jpg

Was about to go to the BTCC, heard my front lip scrape pulling off the drive (doesn't usually happen), thought maybe I just came down a bit quick, then noticed it pulling to the right before I'd even made it out my street.

Less than a week old! :mad:
Funky tread. What tyre is that?

Soldato
Seat belt presenter started making a funny noise so I took out the rear panel and found the cog was missing some teeth, and the rail had been worn flat in one spot.

Why would you use a plastic cog?!? Why Mercedes, why?!

Caporegime
If you've driven on a flat tyre you can't repair it, well 99% of places won't do so as it weakens the sidewall

Got a flat recently, walked around the car before I got in (always do) all four were fine,noticed it was down at the rear within 1/2 mile at low speed, stopped and changed the wheel, I’d driven just over 1/2 mile at most at below 25mph.

The tyre was toast (chunk of metal through the sidewall)but I was very surprised to see the tyre was full of rubber powder when the fitter took it off and he said even if the puncture was slap in the middle of the tread the tyre was weakened and scrap.

Caporegime
Was in the outside lane of the A27 doing 70~ the other night and encountered a massive leafy branch on one side of the lane which I didn't have time to safely avoid, so through it I went...

fypJsQL.jpg

4yTRW94.jpg

uhHuXxW.jpg

p0KWihX.jpg

Seems OK after a scrub up.

yc4LzpT.jpg

Few new chips etc... To add to the collection...

OhwvexC.jpg

Need to do my headlights.

Soldato
That'll polish out I think. There was lots of detritus on the drive home last night after all that wind and rain.
Some muppet fell off the M25 causing a 2 hour tailback, so I had to go through the back roads. Managed to test the wading depth of the GT86 after coming up behind a few cars waiting to tackle a huge puddle that had formed on the road at one section. Hatchback at the front turned round and found another route. Next two small SUVs went through no trouble. I watched how deep it was as they went through and it didn't look too bad, just very large. So I gave my undertray a wash :D

Associate
Flushed my brake fluid through a couple of times in the last year, as I had no record of it being done previously.

Last fill is now using ATE TYP200 and filled using a pressure bleeder, result is a significantly firmer pedal, even than with new cheap fluid. I suspect my previous method using the pressure bleeder actually introduced microbubbles into the fluid.

Also swapped pads over, and everything is much improved. Better pedal feel and much more bite on the brakes too.

Soldato
Found a few videos of the M power performance exhaust+sound kit from BMW for the 340i. It sounds how I want mine to sound; lots more burbles and bangs and cracks :( But, it's a minimum of £1500 to buy and that's before fitting :(

Soldato
Finally got rid of my 320d with knackered gearbox. With its age/spec/mileage and lack of proper service history (I'd planned on driving it into the ground so just did everything myself) it would probably have been worth about £3k if that, if it was working properly.

Gearbox repair would've cost at least £1k and suspension refresh about £400 for the parts alone. Oh and it had a rattly cam chain. I ended up flogging it as-is for £1400 so I don't think I came out of it too badly (although I can knock £52 off that for having to get the train to work, tax and day insure it to bring it back home). Will kind of miss it though, I had it for 3 and a half years and did 105k miles in it.

So that's finally both of my knackered cars gone. It's good to have the driveway back again.

Caporegime
Bought a 320d with a funny gearbox noise for £1400! :D

I'm sure I can probably fix the noise with hammers. Suspension knocking too but I have some £150 JOM coilovers on the way!

Nah JK. :p

So you sold it in the end then? Took a while! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it took me long enough, nearly 3 months I think :) I dumped it at work a few days after I got a new car and just ended up leaving it there. Was busy with work and I ended up having to get another car for the wife so the driveway was tied up with that old shed (the car, not wife) for a while. Made things tricky, but at least it's all out the way now. No more jigging cars around every day.

Man of Honour
Got towed to the garage today. Car wouldn't start. When the RAC finally got it to start it blasted out loads of smoke.

Going to be expensive...

Associate
Found a few videos of the M power performance exhaust+sound kit from BMW for the 340i. It sounds how I want mine to sound; lots more burbles and bangs and cracks :( But, it's a minimum of £1500 to buy and that's before fitting :(
Each to their own and all that, but someone near me has an Impreza which sounded good.... untill he had all the snap, crackle and pop mapped in, well I presume he's had it mapped in as it just doesn't sound right or suit the car IMO, such a shame really. :(

Back
Top Bottom