Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - *** WARNING: SPOILERS ***

Soldato
Adam Warlock was considered for the Infinity War but it was decided he would be better served by having his own movie.

I want to know why it is we should all be scared of the Avengers 4 title when Thanos
has just killed half of the universe. What could be more frightening than that?

Its only scary or meaningful if you buy into it. Which I, as well as many others, don't.

Associate
I wonder if Hulk could still be feeling the effects of the fight in Ragnarok. The massive dog did pierce his skin.
I think the Hulk is annoyed at Banner for leaving Planet Hulk. He hates Earth, as Earth is afraid of him, while he was a god on Planet Hulk. When Banner jumped off the ship to fight the dog near the end of Ragnarok Banner wasn't able to transform into the Hulk before he hit the bridge.

Caporegime
What I want to know is, what the hell is it with these guys putting a lot of footage in the trailers that they didn't even use in the film!! Is this a thing now?

Soldato
With the cgi heavy scenes they create several depending on what they think is best way to go and some footage doesn't get used so they stick it in the trailers to misdirect people now who try to break down every little thing and image to leave surprises in the film.

Associate
What I want to know is, what the hell is it with these guys putting a lot of footage in the trailers that they didn't even use in the film!! Is this a thing now?
I wonder if they did some of it on purpose to misdirect people. There's always complaints that trailers show too much of films.

Soldato
Absolutely loved it.

I predicted before the movie that all of the Black Order would be killed throughout the film, and it went pretty much as I expected. I thought The Black Order were all pretty good. Thanos was incredible.
highlights from the good side for me were Dr Strange, Tony Stark(not usually a fan) and Thor.

One thing regarding Hulk - I am fine with the way it went, but also a little disappointed. Thanos has the Power Stone, so I'm fine with him beating down Hulk, but in the comics there is a history of Thanos being weary of Hulk. He's not scared of him, but he often hangs back when he sees him on the battlefield and tries to avoid him. A scene reflecting that would have been cool.

I thought the ending was great, but honestly in the end it is gonna be pretty meaningless.

Soldato
She loves her sister, as seen in GOTG2.

more than herself?

I personally found it to be a weak element.

She gave the end of the world info up in like 20 seconds of a bit of telekinetic limb pulling.

The conversation that she had with Quill lasted longer than the scene where she spat everything out about the soul stone.

I thought the ending was great, but honestly, in the end, it is gonna be pretty meaningless.

The ending was great, but spot on that most of these guys are going to come back, I suppose the entertainment is in the journey not the end result.

Last edited:
Soldato
Starlord and people taking him seriously?
being classed as the villain:
Star-Lord jumps in and ruins it all, choosing this crucial moment to demand to know what happened to Gamora. Mantis responds with the great loss Thanos feels. The sadness Thanos feels over sacrificing his daughter registers on his face, and the realization that he killed Gamora sends Quill into a rage spiral. But rather than allow his teammates a few extra seconds to save the universe, Star-Lord starts throwing punches, whipping Thanos’ head back, loosening him from his restraints and Mantis’ control, and allowing Thanos to break free. Were it not for Star-Lord, there’s a good chance we wouldn’t have had to watch that heartbreaking scene of Peter Parker begging not to be snuffed out of existence, along with everyone else. Nice work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Finally watched this after dodging spoilers since Thursday. What a ride. Red Skull caught me totally off guard, tho gutted it wasn't Hugo.

Interesting ending too. Been too many 'heroes win' endings.

Caporegime
Starlord
being classed as the villain:
Star-Lord jumps in and ruins it all, choosing this crucial moment to demand to know what happened to Gamora. Mantis responds with the great loss Thanos feels. The sadness Thanos feels over sacrificing his daughter registers on his face, and the realization that he killed Gamora sends Quill into a rage spiral. But rather than allow his teammates a few extra seconds to save the universe, Star-Lord starts throwing punches, whipping Thanos’ head back, loosening him from his restraints and Mantis’ control, and allowing Thanos to break free. Were it not for Star-Lord, there’s a good chance we wouldn’t have had to watch that heartbreaking scene of Peter Parker begging not to be snuffed out of existence, along with everyone else. Nice work.

Obvious point is obvious :)

Soldato
Why might I ask? There must have been a moment that you went from enjoying it to not?

When Thanos went from been super intelligent and one step ahead of everyone to been dumb as rocks.

I think it went wrong for me when Starlord went mad and tried to kill Thanos just as they are about to get the Gauntlet from his arm. Thanos had already survived bigger and harder blasts, so it's not like Starlords little guns were even going to hurt Thanos. It was stupid. But that whole fight was silly. Thanos could change reality, why didn't he just change all their weapons to bubbles. I have the same problem with the last fight against the avengers. The Scarlet witch suddenly got so powerful, could hold off Thanos with the Infinity stones while destroying the Stone in Vision's head. Why did Thanos waste his time, with the power of space and time and reality, it should have been simple. And Thor who was so smart about the Infinity stones, why was he running around the battle field, why didn't he just go guard Vision, nothing else mattered.

Could be it's the first Marvel film where the 'bad guy' wins and some people won't have been happy with that even though we all knew this was a 2 parter.

Nope, because if it's a two parter, the bad guy still won't win.

All the deaths at the end were meaningless. Were people sad at the end? I think most of the audience were wondering how Marvel were going to bring these characters back to life. To my mind they should have been more ruthless and fully killed off some of the characters.

Soldato
Finally watched this after dodging spoilers since Thursday. What a ride. Red Skull caught me totally off guard, tho gutted it wasn't Hugo.

Interesting ending too. Been too many 'heroes win' endings.

But, it isn't the ending. It's only part one. So unless the Heroes lose out in Part 2, it will be a heroes win ending.

Soldato
Been processing this since Saturday night. Great film.

A couple of genius moves by Marvel:
  1. Making this film about Thanos's story arc. Thanos was front and centre from the very beginning, which is right for such a strong, legendary Marvel character.
  2. The ambiguity and mis-directions about whether it was a two-parter. It was reported that Infinity War was no longer going to span two films, with the second film listed on IMDB as 'Untitled Avengers Movie'. I did wonder how they would do the story justice, and cram it into 2hr40min, but I had (naively) thought it would get wrapped up by the end. I doubt I was the only one, judging by the response in the cinema when characters started evaporating. There was some audible teeth-kissing behind me when T'Challa crumbled to dust.
Ebony Maw was spot on. I also think they handled Hulk's encounter with Thanos well. He had the power stone and is a smarter fighter than Hulk. It helped set the tone and establish Thanos as the bad ass that he is.

Hoping to catch it again in the next week or two.

Soldato
I've seen people complain about the fight on Titan between Thanos and Ironman, Dr Strange, Starlord etc because they hold their own against him and why doesn't he just manipulate reality and all that, but I thought it was really well done. They make a point of saying don't let Thanos close his fist as that is how he uses the gauntlet and that becomes the point of it. It isn't really a straight-up fight, it's just them stopping him from closing his fist for as long as they can.

Soldato
When Thanos went from been super intelligent and one step ahead of everyone to been dumb as rocks.

I think it went wrong for me when Starlord went mad and tried to kill Thanos just as they are about to get the Gauntlet from his arm. Thanos had already survived bigger and harder blasts, so it's not like Starlords little guns were even going to hurt Thanos. It was stupid. But that whole fight was silly. Thanos could change reality, why didn't he just change all their weapons to bubbles. I have the same problem with the last fight against the avengers. The Scarlet witch suddenly got so powerful, could hold off Thanos with the Infinity stones while destroying the Stone in Vision's head. Why did Thanos waste his time, with the power of space and time and reality, it should have been simple. And Thor who was so smart about the Infinity stones, why was he running around the battle field, why didn't he just go guard Vision, nothing else mattered.

All the deaths at the end were meaningless. Were people sad at the end? I think most of the audience were wondering how Marvel were going to bring these characters back to life. To my mind they should have been more ruthless and fully killed off some of the characters.
Hopefully they will do it in part 2 but it will largely be pointless because Thanos won't win (as far as my opinion is concerned).

Caporegime
Do any of the deaths really matter? Seeing as what thanos did with the time stone to retrieve a stone, I suppose unless the gauntlet gets destroyed, or at least that specific stone is destroyed, anyone dead can be brought back.

Soldato

Quill was angry, if he only had a potato he'd have probably tried to kill thanos with it

The Avengers / guardians made a point of not letting thanos use the glove

They weren't stronger than him, they just had a good plan and used all of their strengths

Caporegime
Incredible movie.

Why did Dr. Strange give him the Time Stone? I assume it's tied to the 1 in 14 million odds, but how? And now Strange is out of it, how do they make the connection hang together?

Starlord really blew the pooch. Basically lost it for everyone. Oops.

I thought they very nearly got the disappearing characters right, but dusting Spiderman is too much of a give-away it won't stick. Many of the others have ways back (i.e. grow Groot from the axe handle; or appoint a new Black Panther) or are characters that could be dropped from the universe. Although, actually, I think the biggest problem in making it stick is the end of the plausibly similar Earth. Marvel takes place in a world that's basically ours, but with superheroes in it. Wipe out half of everyone and that just doesn't hang together anymore.

Great job from Marvel to give it a stunning end regardless, even if it's hard to believe they'll stick to it.

Back
Top Bottom