Scotland has today introduced a minimum unit price for alcohol

Caporegime
the type of people who buy frosty jack aren't the types to be buying in bulk. so nope.

You seriously think that a chav with a car won't pop over buy a bunch of bottles and sell them.to all the other kids?

Like they do now just with a slightly longer car rise

Associate
Every 16 year old in a Tracksuit in the local park?

You guys realise that teens drink frosty Jack more than the homeless right?

16 year olds are not going to arrange transport to the border to purchase alcohol. The reason these drinks are popular is due to their cheap price, not their scrumptious smooth taste.

Soldato
Of course. Any entrepreneur worth their salt will be setting up off licenses on the border that's why Scotland are so keen for England to follow.

I'm not sure of the health benefits either, it's just going to drive a lot of people to black market booze with alcohol diluted with all manner of liquids, one of the main arguments for legalised drugs is that at least if bought through the proper channels the drugs are as safe as they can be.

What.

So instead of getting cheap alcohol from the corner shop they can just drive down to England and buy alcohol...

Not sure how small you think Scotland is for this to be a reasonable or regular thing.

Maybe we should be listening to people like Gordon Johncox, MD of Aston Manor Brewery which produces the infamously cheap Frosty Jack which will be tripling in price from this change.

Is he unhappy because he thinks the minimum pricing won't affect Scotlands atrocious drinking problem? Or is he unhappy because he thinks sales are going to get obliterated?

The goal is of course to obliterate sales. Less alcohol consumed is absolutely the point.

But will Scotland prove to be so alcoholic that they will spend even harder to keep it up?

Caporegime
What.

So instead of getting cheap alcohol from the corner shop they can just drive down to England and buy alcohol...

Not sure how small you think Scotland is for this to be a reasonable or regular thing.

Maybe we should be listening to people like Gordon Johncox, MD of Aston Manor Brewery which produces the infamously cheap Frosty Jack which will be tripling in price from this change.

Is he unhappy because he thinks the minimum pricing won't affect Scotlands atrocious drinking problem? Or is he unhappy because he thinks sales are going to get obliterated?

The goal is of course to obliterate sales. Less alcohol consumed is absolutely the point.

But will Scotland prove to be so alcoholic that they will spend even harder to keep it up?

Probably unhappy that cheap booze now costs the same as a more premium product so there's no reason for people to buy cheap.

Soldato
but if the retailer makes more profit.... then the overall tax bill to the goverment is more.... thus the government will get more money.
More funding going into the government either way....

For example a £3.50 bottle of cider = 59p in VAT.
A £12.00 bottle of cider = £2 in VAT.

There is an assumption in there that sales of cider that was £3.50 will not be destroyed by now being priced at £12.00

If sales vanish and/or move to a different product which is not affected by minimum pricing then what the government makes could be much less than you are suggesting.

Caporegime
Every 16 year old in a Tracksuit in the local park?

You guys realise that teens drink frosty Jack more than the homeless right?

No they don't.

Do you even own a shop bro? Teens drink dragon soup, Venom, buckfast, md 20/20.

It's only jakey's buying frosty jack. I know this as a fact.

Soldato
Well if the overall sales of booze does drop then fine. Thats good for the public, less drunkness and lss strain on the NHS.

Then the plan is working as intended. Whats the problem?

P.S. when I was 15-16 I drank White Lightning and 20/20 over the park on occasions with my mates lol

Associate
I am really not happy about this.... then again even though i am not far from the border i aint going to be nipping over to get a slightly cheaper bottle of booze.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Should just go the whole hog and ban it, along with cigarettes.

Soldato
If I buy booze online say from amazon, would I pay Scotland or English prices ? ;)

Don't think it'll make much different really still not really that expensive to buy, but it will set us for future raises under 'public health's reasons

Caporegime
lets be honest..its only really tramp juice that's affected

exactly.

i cannot believe the people on here think there is a huge market for tramp juice at the borders it will suddenly make it into a lucrative smuggling market. how many people actually live at the borders? like a few thousand. of which maybe a handful drink tramp juice.

the drinks effected are mainly drank by tramps. therefore this will have little effect on scotlands drinking culture

Soldato
If I buy booze online say from amazon, would I pay Scotland or English prices ? ;)

Don't think it'll make much different really still not really that expensive to buy, but it will set us for future raises under 'public health's reasons

I think the laws apply from where it is physically sold (the dispatch depot)?
I remember a few years ago when they changed the laws around promotions of beer/wine but people near the border were still able to get the deals from online shopping because the supermarkets would dispatch from english stores.

Associate
I actually forgot all about this and only found out when i went to get some tenants super for my cocopops at breakfast, had to shoot up some china white instead.

Soldato
Exactly

To addicts, increasing the cost of alcohol does not stop them. Many will sooner let other parts of their life suffer, will turn to theft or will simply choose a cheaper brand - rather than go without.

This is simply another poorly disguised tax squeeze. They may not be raising the tax directly but they know that people will still pay it and drink it, so the government will still pocket more. I have no issue with paying more tax but lets call a spade, a spade.

Has raising the price of cigarettes helped addicts to quite?

Back
Top Bottom