Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
IS the ticwatch as massive as it looks? Are any of these watches actually more of a 'normal' size to not look too daft with say business attire?

Associate
Can anyone compare the Ticwatch to the Sony SW3 for size? Thickness does tend to disappear when you wear the watch (i.e. the Sw3 is pretty thick), but the diameter of the Ticwatch seems a bit excessive.

Associate
Can anyone compare the Ticwatch to the Sony SW3 for size? Thickness does tend to disappear when you wear the watch (i.e. the Sw3 is pretty thick), but the diameter of the Ticwatch seems a bit excessive.

I can't compare it to that actual one, but it's not as bad as it looks when it's actually on your wrist. For me, the Ticwatch E is fantastic because it represents excellent value for money if you can get it for around 115-120 quid. People complained about the battery life, I have to say I expected worse. I always expected to be charging a smartwatch every night, physical battery size is the limitation until even better battery tech comes along. My Ticwatch E had 50% battery in it after 11 hours at work today, having an average amount of notifications pushed to it, with the odd bit of screen on time. It does a lot for the 115 quid I paid for it, an awful lot. If you're wanting to try out a smartwatch to see if it's something you could use, this is an ideal device to start with if you can get it at the right price. I tried one and I like Android Wear and I like round smartwatches, a lot. And it's the fault of the Ticwatch E for being so good that I went and spent 220 quid on this:

https://imgur.com/amc5FvT

https://imgur.com/tEoly6L

https://imgur.com/R8McXlo

https://imgur.com/AhWOcLK

That's a Fossil Q Explorist, which is a very nice device indeed. Not without one or two things that could have been done better, but overall a rather beautiful piece of kit. Some of the stock Fossil watchfaces are beautiful and are my favourites. Screen is beautiful too, slightly higher res than the Ticwatch E but also slightly greater diameter too, I think 46mm. The ambient light sensor is what takes up that extra diameter, but this still looks great and not overbearing at all.

I'd say the only thing the Ticwatch E lacks that I think it could do with is the ambient light sensor, because that is actually so useful, auto brightness works extremely well on the Fossil Q device. But in all other areas, it's super value. I've got round any battery issues by just having two devices, the Ticwatch E is used for work while the Fossil watch is at home charging, I then come home and use the Fossil for leisure and throw the Ticwatch on charge until the next morning.

Associate
But in all other areas, it's super value. I've got round any battery issues by just having two devices, the Ticwatch E is used for work while the Fossil watch is at home charging, I then come home and use the Fossil for leisure and throw the Ticwatch on charge until the next morning.

The Ticwatch doesn't last all day?

Associate
The Ticwatch doesn't last all day?

It does easily, usually 50-60% battery after a day at work. And it charges fast too. I'm just too lazy to wait for that and also wanted a more dressier watch for going out. I like it that I always have a spare.

The Ticwatch has been on battery since half 8 this morning and it's at 70% now, which is where I'd expect it to be after a few notifications and some playing around with watchfaces.

Soldato
Has anyone here got the Garmin Fenix 5X?

A friend has it and raves about how good it is - I was looking at getting a gps tracking watch for running / hiking etc and want something rugged with good battery life and the 5X seems to fit the bill!?

Can get one for £540 ish which is a lot but seems decent for the tech you’re getting!

Man of Honour
far to much money, but realy want one, in fact its the only watch which really ticks the boxes I want.

apple watch is also really good for hiking, but massively falls down on battery life, which is ok if you are just doing ~6hr hikes/runs/cycle and then going somewhere with power. Not so good if in the middle of a national park for days or weeks.

where the 5x is good for 2x10hr gps tracking days, no need to charge halfway through the day, can just charge of a power bank at camp. and one model I belive is 30 odd hours gps tracking.

Soldato
Had the 5x for about 5 weeks now cant sing its praises enough, battery is brilliant even in its most accurate tracking mode, I'll usually charge it once every week usually Sunday as thats my rest day, thats wearing it all the time in smartwatch mode, 5 sessions of gym based activity tracking (Wattbike/treadmill/rowing etc) and 1 day of outdoor activity (~6 hours MTB or Hiking), and its incredibly robust. i'm big into my MTB and hiking and its really just faultless for what it does, accurate (tested against a DAGR unit with Y-code), also been using it with Wattbike in conjunction with the phone App to track my workouts to help visualise my progression for my fitness.
I have owned a standard version of the fenix 3 (No hrm/normal glass) for about 3 year before I bought the 5x, so i had a very good idea of what i was getting and I was really just after an updated version of the same thing but with HRM, and a more rugged screen, as the mineral glass on the 3 was a mess from scratches. Dont get me wrong the 3 is still going strong and i'm keeping it as a back up.

No its not cheap... I think i went a bit light headed when i put my card in the machine. I think i paid around the same for mine, but definitely worth every penny of the money spent on it. Its a solid bit of kit, absolutely rammed with features, great battery, robust design and ultimately comfortable device to wear that isnt a burdon to carry about on your wrist. Unless other companies up their battery game I wouldnt even consider looking anywhere else.

Associate
I do like the look of that Garmin Fenix 5x, but 5 and a half hundred quid is a little too rich for my taste. Still, gonna keep an eye out for that one going on sale. If it went to 400 nicker, I'd be all over it.

I have a problem with smartwatch addiction it seems..

Soldato
Have I made a grave mistake or am I just useless at setting a smartwatch up.

Got a Ticwatch S Knight yesterday for my birthday. Turned it on, downloaded android Wear on my phone. Connected to watch, had a little play around.

Today the watch was charged, I walked up town at 11am, had lunch, walked home, took it off around 2pm. Came back to watch around 6pm and it was at 15%. I'd barely used it so wasn't expecting it to be drained so much.

Is there anyway to tell what had drained it, usage etc?

Soldato
Oreo will finally be rolling out to Ticwatch E & S users over the next few days. Whilst not a huge change, being able to lock the screen so I don't accidently change watch faces with my forearms will be welcome.

Associate
Oreo will finally be rolling out to Ticwatch E & S users over the next few days. Whilst not a huge change, being able to lock the screen so I don't accidently change watch faces with my forearms will be welcome.

You can lock it now. Or do you mean lock it and still have the always on screen? That'd be nice. I have that on the Fossil Q Explorist and I like it

Back
Top Bottom