Where to get large print made (600x400mm ish)?

Soldato
I don't print a huge amount of my photos but I took a few nice ones last year in Cuba. I've been looking through them again and like the idea of printing this one to replace an old Edward Hopper print we've had up in the lounge for a long time.

DSCF0774
by Scam, on Flickr

That print is about 600x400 ish so I'd be looking to get this done about that size. Can anywhere recommend a place? I've only ever used Photobox for my small prints, and they don't go that big.

What do you guys think? There's something about that one I just like.

Soldato
OP
Their product line is a bit confusing. What's with having to register to see prices? :confused:

Do you think it's worth going the whole hog and ordering my print framed, or doing that locally/separately?

Caporegime
Loxley or The Print Space, depending if you want to use just ordinary photo paper or hahnemuhle paper. For a large one off I’d recommend having a look at Hahnemuhle papers and see if you like any of the textures or finishes.

Loxley used to only be available to “pros”, but at least it’s now open to everyone. The price probably varies with deals and stops clients finding out the price of any product a photographer upsells to them.

I’d recommend seeing if there’s a decent local framer around before committing to Loxleys framing, they’re extremely expensive vs the local framer I used to use.

Soldato
Loxley or The Print Space, depending if you want to use just ordinary photo paper or hahnemuhle paper. For a large one off I’d recommend having a look at Hahnemuhle papers and see if you like any of the textures or finishes.

Loxley used to only be available to “pros”, but at least it’s now open to everyone. The price probably varies with deals and stops clients finding out the price of any product a photographer upsells to them.

I’d recommend seeing if there’s a decent local framer around before committing to Loxleys framing, they’re extremely expensive vs the local framer I used to use.

Fwiw I use Harman by Hahnemuhle gloss baryta to print onto and other than issues with the paper arriving slightly curled and having to gently bend it back to flat before printing it's the best paper I've used. If that's an option I thoroughly recommend it, the Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Fibre Silk comes a close second.

Think they might have discontinued Harman by Hahnemuhle gloss baryta though.

Caporegime
I used to use Pearl for my prints, although a printer here has mentioned the coating doesn’t last as long as some of the other Hanhemuhle papers.

Each paper gives a massively different print finish though OP, so if you do go with Hanhemuhle make sure you get some samples (the print space provide them) before choosing.

Soldato
OP
Hmn to be honest I don't see the point in paying £3.20 from DSCL if my print is only costing £9.99 :confused: (24x16)

With that pic above I'm planning on getting it professionally framed. I'm tempted to say a glossy print would look good but the girlfriend thinks it'd be a bit much if it's mounted behind proper glass and is going in a spot where it the main daylight is coming in side on. Any thoughts? :confused:

I think any of the other papers may be a bit excessive for my needs...

Associate
I use photobox for most of my prints.

Tend to batch process them when they have a deal on and buy 30 odd at a time (various sizes)

I buy the poster prints for larger sizes.

If they dont sell the size i need then I resize in illustrator and cut a larger print down to fit my frame.

I wouldnt say they are the best quality, some propper lab may be better prints, but for my use im happy with photobox as its cheap and decent.

I prefer gloss paper. Matt paper makes it easier to see if the photo is less than flat in the mount (i use cheap ikea frames)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmn to be honest I don't see the point in paying £3.20 from DSCL if my print is only costing £9.99 :confused: (24x16)

With that pic above I'm planning on getting it professionally framed. I'm tempted to say a glossy print would look good but the girlfriend thinks it'd be a bit much if it's mounted behind proper glass and is going in a spot where it the main daylight is coming in side on. Any thoughts? :confused:

I think any of the other papers may be a bit excessive for my needs...

Scam did you have this printed ?

Jay.

Back
Top Bottom