Phoenix Point - new strategy game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Permabanned
I still to this day think there isnt anything that comes close to the original X-Com. Maybe Xenonauts comes pretty close but it doesnt feel quite the same. I have just recently installed the absolute original Xcom (Open X-Com) and began playing that again. Good it is such a bloody good game, just with there was a HD texture mod or something.

Yeah Xenonauts was pretty decent it just felt quite 'flat' and 'stale' in comparison. Hope #2 is better.

Soldato
Downloaded the backer build this morning.

A couple of my squaddies got blown off the walls and in to the abyss when they got killed, which was worth a lol and the Firaxis XCOM muscle memory kept kicking in when trying to press Y for Overwatch and other actions. I do like the pseudo action point set up and hopefully stuff like inventory will become relevant in the longer battles. I also demand large squads in the final version. None of this modern 4-6 trooper nonsense. ;)

Obviously it lacks polish, but for an Alpha it gets a pass. All I have to do now is beat the demo.

Soldato
How's the AI, guys? Some streamers have been suggesting it's a real step up from the usual stuff in the genre, but I suspect it may have been more a case of fan boy bias.

Brutal and trying to flank you while trying to destroy your weapons so you wont fire back....
While I was pinned on a game, was trying to go over the buildings take the tops and rain it's crap on my troops.

And this is still Alpha version.

Last edited:
Associate
Whoa.....
  • The maps look amazing, filled up with stuff and great graphic. In comparison "Firaxis" XCOM & XCOM 2 maps are completely barren, and "fake".
  • Weapons can me destroyed by you or the aliens. That is not good, believe me :(
  • Ammunition (clips), are not unlimited. Seems you will need to carry clips like we used on XCOM UFO Defence, Terror from the Deep etc. Otherwise you cannot kill aliens with your presence....
    So every bullet counts....
  • The explosions demolish everything around. You dont have half the wall standing on air...
  • As long as you do not spend all your points (like using the whole moving distance of your first action point), you can move a bit, shoot and move to cover (for example). That imho makes the game bit more tactical.
  • Inventory IS BACK. Now you can carry few bit that you aren't equipped (like on the old XCOM games).

I have found a bug and reported it, that when the aliens destroy your weapons, the animation kinda of freezing and game takes time to move a trooper.
But bugs are expected. This is alpha version.

Now I wrote this, trying to figure out how to kill the big boss, without weapons & ammunition and couple of guys dead. Seem need to figure out where the supply crates are and get stuff out.

FYI the article is great :)

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/1/17304674/phoenix-point-beta-impressions

This is pretty accurate, only a couple of additions from me.
* The Queen/Boss aliens are ridiculous! At the moment they spawn after a set time and are huge, easily the size of buildings. They walk through terrain/buildings to get you, demolishing them in the process. They will one-shot kill your soldiers.
* There is a first person shooting mode which allows you to target specific areas of the body, with different effects. Damaged legs reduce movement, arms reduce your ability to shoot, head shots increase panic.

Soldato
This is pretty accurate, only a couple of additions from me.
* The Queen/Boss aliens are ridiculous! At the moment they spawn after a set time and are huge, easily the size of buildings. They walk through terrain/buildings to get you, demolishing them in the process. They will one-shot kill your soldiers.
* There is a first person shooting mode which allows you to target specific areas of the body, with different effects. Damaged legs reduce movement, arms reduce your ability to shoot, head shots increase panic.

Yeah. You usually run out of ammo by the time the boss appears....

I will let you know how it goes today, having the new build of the game.

FYI to all. The game is delayed until June 2019 as per today's announcement video. But they will keep pushing out early builds to the backers regardless.

Soldato
So this is now an Epic Store exclusive, for one year. Free DLC for one year to anyone who backed it already (so they obviously realise it will be an unpopular move). Full refunds available if you're not happy about it.

Soldato
I'll be keeping my pre-order. I generally don't mind what launcher anything is on. Obviously I'd prefer Steam but I'm not one of these "no steam no buy" people. But in this instance of an 'EPIC exclusive buyout', because it was a Kickstarter I feel they should honour the crowdfunding backers and offer Steam keys. The game probably wouldn't exist without the Kickstarter backers for EPIC to later buy exclusivity.

Soldato
If they can get a better deal out of Epic than Steam fair play to them. Business is business. I already have Origin, Ubisoft, Steam, Epic launchers dont see point squabbling over the amount of launchers. Its them games that matters....

Soldato
If they can get a better deal out of Epic than Steam fair play to them. Business is business. I already have Origin, Ubisoft, Steam, Epic launchers dont see point squabbling over the amount of launchers. Its them games that matters....

Yeah.
Epic gives better return to the devs, 88% compared to Steam giving 65%.

To put in perspective at 10 million sale, is extra 2.3 million to the devs compared to steam.

Also he said, we only need epic to download the game not play it, where we can disable the launcher. Something that cannot be done with almost all the steam games.

Soldato
Yeah.
Epic gives better return to the devs, 88% compared to Steam giving 65%.

To put in perspective at 10 million sale, is extra 2.3 million to the devs compared to steam.

Also he said, we only need epic to download the game not play it, where we can disable the launcher. Something that cannot be done with almost all the steam games.

Definitely a better deal for the devs 'assuming' they actually get the same number of sales with epic as they would with steam, and that's a key point.

Soldato
I cancelled with the policy.

Seem epic's money to them is more important than mine.

Definitely a better deal for the devs 'assuming' they actually get the same number of sales with epic as they would with steam, and that's a key point.

not a chance they will get the same # of sales, they may get the same money if epic pay them enough, but I suppose money is coming before number of people playing your own game, terrible state of affairs.

Also interesting tactic been deployed by these scumbag publishers, where by they initially dont announce the epic deal's so they get sales from people thinking it will be on steam, and then announce after they already took orders.

Back
Top Bottom