New Superflower Leadex II 750w - clicking under load

Associate
Recently put together a new build, reusing my titan x (maxwell) for gfx card. Everything works fine until the graphics card is put under any load, basically when loading up 3dmark or any game. Within seconds the previously near silent power supply clicks like it is constantly switching something off and on.

Video below:

This didn't happen in my old build with my old power supply when using this card so it does seem to be the supply. Is it normal for it to sound like this? I've never had any prior to this make much noise at all.

Man of Honour
Sounds like inductors moving (twitching during inrush current).

EDIT: Also possible its the fan depending on the fan control - it might be just enough load to activate it but not enough load to fully spin it up causing it to either twitch slightly or turning on and off due to a lacking hysteresis.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers. I've checked from the underside & the fan is spinning fine. As soon as i close a game down the clicking stops with the fan continuing to spin at the same speed for a short time after with no clicking. So its doesn't seem to be anything being moved by the airflow or the fan itself causing the clicks, as soon as the power load is reduced the clicking stops.

Associate
OP
Rewired everything to my old psu and no clicking or any other issues. The new one really doesn't sound healthy to me. Any other electrical device I wouldn't think safe making that sort of noise.

Back
Top Bottom