Must-play RTS games

Caporegime
So now I have a new PC, I'm able to play real-time strategy games again. The last ones I played before I went console only were Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations, so we're talking about 15 years here.

What are the best RTS games that I've missed in this time and should go and play right away?

Soldato
The total war: warhammer games are pretty fantastic (I only have the 1st and loved it). You could look at older total war games like shogun 2 as well if you want a cheaper game

Getting really old school, supreme commander forged alliance was an incredible RTS.

Dawn of War 2 is great, although a bit dated.

Grey goo is a great little game and can be had cheaply.

Soldato
Maybe check out They Are Billions, if early access doesn't put you off.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your OP properly. There have been better RTS games in the past 15 years then TAB!

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
So now I have a new PC, I'm able to play real-time strategy games again. The last ones I played before I went console only were Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations, so we're talking about 15 years here.

What are the best RTS games that I've missed in this time and should go and play right away?

Grey Goo & Supreme Commander Forged Alliance are pure RTS games.

Soldato
No where near the scale of games like SupCom but Starcraft 2 is still going strong, and F2P for enough to determine whether you enjoy it or not, including:

First campaign
3 co-op commanders to max level, rest to level 5
Ranked and unranked MP
Arcade (not sure about new premium arcade, but probably)

I have a few suggestions for you:

-Company of Heroes 1 & 2
-Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (Though I feel Supcom2 is a good entry game to help get into the original and the AI is more customizable)
-Command & Conquer: Red Alert (RTS thread, cannot not suggest it despite its age. The CNCNet version is truer to the original than OpenRA, though in its own way the latter is a good game too).
-Age of Empires: Definitive Edition
-Age of Empires II - HD
-Warhammer Dawn of War
-Starcraft 2
-8-bit Armies (Made by some of the developers of C&C)

Some older and some newer ones in there. I have Grey Goo, but did not like it as much, feel free to add that to the list to try though.

Associate
I quite like Sins of a Solar Empire for a sci-fi RTS, I've also lost far too much time to AI War.
If you feel like branching out into Grand Strategy titles, Europa Universalis IV is one that could keep you busy for a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom