5k in 6 weeks...im a potato

Caporegime
What did/do you do for speed work? I've been doing a c210k programme for 5 weeks and a few tempo and progression runs has allowed me to increase my speed by 0.4 kph, albeit from 8 kph, but an increase nonetheless.

How many sessions per week were dedicated to speed work?

No more than 10-20% of your total weekly volume. And for a begginer even less is plenty. Lots of nice easy runs builds speed

Caporegime
What did/do you do for speed work? I've been doing a c210k programme for 5 weeks and a few tempo and progression runs has allowed me to increase my speed by 0.4 kph, albeit from 8 kph, but an increase nonetheless.

How many sessions per week were dedicated to speed work?

i would do 4 sessions per week

monday - slow pace 10k (below 60 minutes)
wednesday - fast pace 2.5k (below 12 minutes)
thursday - slow pace 10k (below 60 minutes)
saturday - normal pace 5k (below 25 minutes)

so only 1 day was speed work the wednesday where you would be running at a pace that by the end of the 2.5K you wouldn't be able to keep the pace up for more than a minute longer.

that was my times i aimed for and built up to then beat. you may want to add say 10% onto those times since you are a beginner maybe even 20% and then try and get them down every session by say 1% per sesion.

so overall i was doing 27.5K per week but only 2.5K was speed work. 5k was running pace what you would wanna do on the day. the 2 x 10k were to build stamina, fitness and cardiovascular health and to burn calories (get slimmer).

Man of Honour
Just got back from a 5.25k run, managed it in 38 minutes...first time ive ran over 5k non stop, really chuffed with myself ^_^

Well done, it's great when you can see the progress you've made. Just remember to keep taking it gradually and building up your running slowly to reduce the risk of injury as your body adapts.

Soldato
OP
Well done, it's great when you can see the progress you've made. Just remember to keep taking it gradually and building up your running slowly to reduce the risk of injury as your body adapts.

Only running every other night...pushed myself today as i've had a horrendous day at work and its helped me clear my head a bit, but only really had to push for the last 5 minutes or so, and thats mainly as it was a slight incline...but i felt good when i had finished, no aches, got my breath back pretty quick so im really happy with what the app has got me doing :)

Soldato
OP
So i pretty much had a complete mental breakdown at work today...got home, and have just ran 8k/5mile, nonstop in a smidgen under an hour...im so glad ive found something to throw myself into to help with the anger/frustration/depression...i reckon im going to be able to smash this 5k :D

Man of Honour
Running can be great for clearing the mind so I'm glad you've managed to enjoy that part of it, hopefully the work gets better as well so you're not just running on frustration as that's not going to be entirely healthy. :)

Caporegime
So i pretty much had a complete mental breakdown at work today...got home, and have just ran 8k/5mile, nonstop in a smidgen under an hour...im so glad ive found something to throw myself into to help with the anger/frustration/depression...i reckon im going to be able to smash this 5k :D

it's great not to just limit yourself to a number. like in some sessions i would go in and just run until i could run no more. long distance isn't good for you when you get into extreme distances but i did a few runs where i was running for 90 minutes / 15k, not many but a few of them. usually whilst watching a football game

Soldato
Well done!.

I went out for a jog tonight for first time in a LONG time. I did 5k in 36mins. Following the app has given you the confidence to get out there so keep it up. Psycho Sonny might be saying some stuff that he personally likes but I hate running and I prefer to just do bare minimum myself.

Running for as long as possible would just knock my confidence and **** me off .

Once I get my 5k time to about 25 minutes without it feeling too difficult then I will be happy. My knees prefer cycling!.

Soldato
OP
Well done!.

I went out for a jog tonight for first time in a LONG time. I did 5k in 36mins. Following the app has given you the confidence to get out there so keep it up. Psycho Sonny might be saying some stuff that he personally likes but I hate running and I prefer to just do bare minimum myself.

Running for as long as possible would just knock my confidence and **** me off .

Once I get my 5k time to about 25 minutes without it feeling too difficult then I will be happy. My knees prefer cycling!.

I would never have carried on after the first few runs if it wasn't for the app...I've also now started at the gym because of my new found love of running, so when its super hot or cold outside i have somewhere i can still go to carry the running on, and am going to be working on more cardio and trying to get rid of the beer belly :)

Soldato
OP
Well...just under 3 months from starting, i'v managed it!

Still got a while before the actual race...was wondering how people keep track of their pace when out running...obviously with the treadmill i can adjust the speed to ensure i get under 30 minutes, im worried i'll not keep up the pace i need to do so when just running round the race...any tips/tricks/apps?
34598174_10160487422335565_9078072880914235392_o.jpg

Soldato
Congrats mate on making it. Feels good doesn't it! Personally I use a Garmin watch to keep an idea on pace, what are you looking to achieve in the 5km race? Are you looking at setting a PB, just getting around etc. The reason why I'm asking, is personally I would just try and complete it in any time and not worry about getting it complete in under 30mins. I've started running since October and that is the trap I fell into, trying to always beat my times and it has lead to some big injuries. For example, here are my top 6 5km times. Notice how the top 2 are treadmill but the highest outside 5km (Park Run - Wallace and Civic Centre) is some 5 minutes slower due to hills, rougher surface, temperature, more people.

tPBFfXy.png

I would just go out there and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I echo the above tbh.

I ran a 10k last month dressed as a donkey in blazing sunshine. Didn't worry about speed because of the situation and still finished in a respectable time.

Just go out and enjoy it and you'll achieve a PB anyway because of the hype.

Man of Honour
Well done on achieving 5km but as the others have said you don't need to get any particular time, it's easy to forget but the only one putting pressure on you to get a time is you. Make it round safely and have fun would be my first suggestions, remember that your first run at any new venue is always a PB for that course. As Daaaavvveee says there are parkruns all around the country so you could try one of them if you want a timed 5km, sign up for free on the website and do print out your barcode though if you go as otherwise they can't assign you a time, you'll be an unknown runner with an approximate time (usually you'll be between a couple of runners so it'll be fairly easy to work out roughly). If you do want to keep a track of your times for other outdoor runs then there are plenty of running watches out there or apps for phones which will give you your rough pace based on GPS.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I do have a fitbit that will track everything, so i'll just use that.

I really had it in my head to have the 5k done in less than 30 minutes as running it for this charity means so much to me after the death of my daughter...still got a few weeks to go...im going to head down to where the race is being held and do a few trial runs to find the best racing line :p

Back
Top Bottom