• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 core coffeelake on Z370 ?

Soldato
Just curious if anyone has seen any "leaked" info, I know the upcoming Z390 chipset is basically just Z370 with a few tweaks, Curious to see if Z370 boards will be able to run the 8 core coffeelake part or if Intel do their usual unnecessary anti consumer practise of a new chipset every 9-12 months.

Soldato
The Z370 was essentially a slighly rejigged Z270 as Intel needed a chipset for CFL,as the launch was brought a few months later.

The Z390 probably would have been the Z370 I suspect,if Ryzen was not launched.

Soldato
OP
The Z370 was essentially a slighly rejigged Z270 as Intel needed a chipset for CFL,as the launch was brought a few months later.

The Z390 probably would have been the Z370 I suspect,if Ryzen was not launched.

Going by their past chipset compatibilities i.e Z87+Z97, Z170+Z270, I'm hoping Z370+Z390 are compatible, CPU wise, If not then oh well.

Soldato
Going by their past chipset compatibilities i.e Z87+Z97, Z170+Z270, I'm hoping Z370+Z390 are compatible, CPU wise, If not then oh well.

Well it might be more the case 8 cores on 14NM,especially if they are clocked high might need a lot more power,so it could be that certain lower end Z370 boards might have issues?? Cannonlake might have differences in power regulation which the Z170/Z270/Z370 don't support well??

TBH,we will find out what the differences are closer to launch!!

Soldato
OP
Well it might be more the case 8 cores on 14NM,especially if they are clocked high might need a lot more power,so it could be that certain lower end Z370 boards might have issues??

TBH,we will find out what the differences are closer to launch!!

True, Would still be nice to just do a simple bios update and drop 1 in.

Permabanned
The more relevant question is will Z390 have any life past Coffee Lake....

And the most relevant question is what is after Coffee Lake and when?
If they don't do 10nm, maybe can get rid off the iGPU and give more cores on 14nm+++ anyways?

Soldato
Just curious if anyone has seen any "leaked" info, I know the upcoming Z390 chipset is basically just Z370 with a few tweaks, Curious to see if Z370 boards will be able to run the 8 core coffeelake part or if Intel do their usual unnecessary anti consumer practise of a new chipset every 9-12 months.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-z390-to-support-existing-coffee-lake-s-cpus

easiest way to some it up... take this

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370-AORUS-GAMING-3-WIFI-rev-10#kf

to replace this but with CPU and ram overclock and higher count VRM - inclusion of intel Wifi and drop all 3rd parts chips... read z370 description

• ASMedia 3142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A

read h370

• Intel® Native USB 3.1 Gen2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A
  • Intel® USB 3.1 Gen1 USB Type-C™
  • Intel® GbE LAN with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator Software
  • Intel® CNVi 802.11ac Wave2 2T2R WIFI

always stated tha H370 is full coffeelake chip set to replies of, no its not - its cut down and z370 is the full fledge chip... H370 is just handy capped :D

more is leaked out the more people can get away with posting up ;)

Caporegime
It's Intel; we should never expect a motherboard to be compatible with any CPU beyond the generation it is launched with :(

tbh if you buy a decent cpu and mobo does it really matter ? by the time you upgrade you will want a new cpu mobo and ram anyway.

Soldato
tbh if you buy a decent cpu and mobo does it really matter ? by the time you upgrade you will want a new cpu mobo and ram anyway.

Welllll... I was sold on the upgrade-path of AM4 last year. My thinking was 1600X for now, then go 8-core with proper Ryzen 2. Had that not been promised, I'd likely have bought covfefe.

Unless there is an impending change to something big (e.g. moving to DDR5) I find socket changes very frustrating. I've long since lost the love for digging around in my PC case and reinstalling Windows, I just want something that works with minimal fuss. The option to upgrade my CPU as easily as the GPU is a definite bonus.

Associate
Everyone slates Intel for the chipset change, but looking at the recent AMD release I get the feeling most who are moving from e.g 1700 to 2700 are also moving from X370 to X470.

?

That is out of choice though and not because it is being forced apon consumers. You can perfectly run X370 + Ryzen 2000s CPUs and performance is the same.

Soldato
Everyone slates Intel for the chipset change, but looking at the recent AMD release I get the feeling most who are moving from e.g 1700 to 2700 are also moving from X370 to X470.

To be fair, B350 and X370 have their share of issues, i.e. memory incompatibility. X370 is the better of the two, but from what I've read online, X470 is better than either. There is a lot on the IMC as well, but the chipset definitely bears some of the blame and this being an enthusiast forum, it's basically a shortlist of people who are most likely to pay the cost to get the last scrap of performance. There's also questions around VRMs, which on some B350 boards are really working hard and hot even with Ryzen 1 - and the new ones are more power hungry so...

On the other hand, stuff does WORK in older boards, just perhaps not as well. Hopefully the 400 series chipsets will be better built, and we're already seeing some overkill VRM options (Asus CH7 holy cow) that should be good for Ryzen 3 :)

Associate
Intel are in such a state with the much delayed 10nm parts that it's no wonder the chipset/socket situation has become an issue.
They want to introduce new features at the platform level which requires a new chipset then there's the whole VRM and power delivery compatibility issues.
I'm not saying they do care much about compatibility but due to their 10nm woes I think their hands are more tied than normal as they have had to improvise.

It may be the case that for Z390 they have to choose between forward compatibility with 10nm or backward compatibility with CL.
If that is the case it makes more sense to support 10nm I suppose.
It's not as if most people on sites such as this weren't aware that Z370 might well be a one trick pony.

Associate
It'll be interesting to see if this 8 core chip is a new die (CFL 8+2?) or just a salvaged HEDT part with no onboard GPU and two memory controllers and two cores disabled.

If its the latter then it's likely its been put together in a rush as a response to 10nm issues and Ryzen's refresh, but a CFL 8+2 part would suggest it has been planned for some time.

Back
Top Bottom