Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Atom, is there any way to disassemble the screen?

I want to replace the internal panel but I can't figure how how to get the display assembly apart. I can't find any discussion of this online.
I don't mind if it voids warranty, but is it even possible?

Thanks.

We can find out for you, but wouldn't recommend changing as it would probably be high risk - what panel are you intending to install into the unit?

Can you pass you email contact to us (use Trust Message), so we can connect you with someone in Gigabyte USA.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
We can find out for you, but wouldn't recommend changing as it would probably be high risk - what panel are you intending to install into the unit?

Can you pass you email contact to us (use Trust Message), so we can connect you with someone in Gigabyte USA.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

OK - we have had feedback from R&D, and they confirm that changing the panel is not something that can be done, far too many parts involved for dis-assembly, and replacement panel would be close to impossible to re-install.

Sorry cant give any further support on that topic.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Last edited:
Associate
OK - we have had feedback from R&D, and they confirm that changing the panel is not something that can be done, far too many parts involved for did-assembly, and replacement panel would be close to impossible to re-install.

Sorry cant give any further support on that topic.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Thanks. Before I asked I tried taking it apart (from the back: lifting the metal panel from the corners which didn't work, and from the front starting at the top rubber corner inserts) and couldn't get it open at all so that's not surprising to hear.
Guess this confirms the display is pretty well sealed.

Appreciate the help.

Associate
OP
Smart Update is showing the latest BIOS is ver 005, but ver 005 isn't on the gigabytes support website to be able to see the changes before I decide to flash/upgrade from ver 004. Anyone know what ver 005 does?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Smart Update is showing the latest BIOS is ver 005, but ver 005 isn't on the gigabytes support website to be able to see the changes before I decide to flash/upgrade from ver 004. Anyone know what ver 005 does?

Hi @JimboJet - we have checked this with R&D this morning: BIOS Update will give you improved performance when just on battery, rather than connected to AC Adaptor.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Is anyone having a problem with the latest Windows Update and the Aero 15X?

i ask because three things happened yesterday:
* The April Windows Update
* I upgraded Windows Home to Pro
* I installed Docker (which will have turned on any virtualisation options)

Now my laptop hangs randomly (the mouse pointer keeps moving, but nothing responds); on average every hour when actually in use (not sat idle-but-on). I've up- and downgraded drivers til everything is the version recommended by Smart Update. Still happening. So now I'm trying to narrow down which of the above broke it. (Of course, it's possible that it's a hardware issue; maybe the mem chip is failing, but I'd expect that to react less consistently.)

@Atom80, if your R&D team can figure this one out, I'll be super-pleased.

Associate
No issues with mine so far, I’ll check what windows release number it’s at later.

**Edit**

Version = 1709
OS Build = 16299.371

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, Brok. The April update will take you up to Version 1803, Build 17134.1.

That said, I've been on and off the laptop all day and it hasn't hung since I posted that. It's possible one of the driver updates worked and the problem I saw this morning was a curious anomaly. Or it could be that it'll hang up as soon as I post this one. I'll report back.

Associate
hi everyone, Im new here and I just have this aero 15x v8 for 5 days now and I want to replace my memory using 2 stick of ram but I have problem here, replaced my new RAM twice but still wont work, it is Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8 Gb DDR4 2666
I have try put it one and swap between two slot but still wont work, it just a blank screen with just two led indicator on which are the wifi and power button, the fans also on
is this corsair not compatible? and what makes this ram wont work?
or maybe need to do a clear CMOS but I dont know how to clear CMOS on this laptop

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Apparently, notebookcheck quoted @Atom80 in this article : https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/co...us_confirmed_to_be/?utm_source=reddit-android

Does that mean Nvidia 11xx Series Max-Q is still coming in 2018 that would be dope. Was expecting an early 2019 release to be honest but 2018 is even better.

Edit : more articles over the internet are actually talking about what Atom said.

Hi JiDey247- We made one "vague" comment, based on an assumption not a fact or any information from NVidia - and yes it has been picked up by a renowned "rumor" website, and then it has been spread, widely.

Atom80 has been in big trouble, for what was one comment aimed at helping one enquiring customer, about possible future specifications, to give them the assurance to purchase, rather than wait.

The post has been removed.

We have no information on what the timescales are planned for any future refreshes.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi all,

Having some major problems with my Aero 15X v8 which are just making the laptop pretty much unusable.

The three problems that are plaguing me the most are:

1). Installed a new m.2 SSD (HP EX920 1TB) in the second available slot about a week ago. Its specs are definitely compatible with the laptop. Windows recognised it for a few days - since then it will recognise it in the BIOS but not in Windows itself. When I have it in the slot, Windows will take 3+ minutes to boot up even though I disable the drive as a boot device in the BIOS. Can anyone who has successfully installed a second m.2 drive please let me know your exact BIOS settings because this is driving me around the bend now.

2). If I try and install a large game when I am unplugged and on battery it will say that it is going to take 4+ hours to install... the speeds on my SSD drop extremely low and if I open Farcry 5 or Final Fantasy XV, the framerate will be 30 or lower on battery compared to 80+ when I plug in the power. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Simply unacceptable to not be able to install things or game when on an unplugged, but full battery laptop especially considering how expensive this device is.

3.) Damn. Blue. Screens. Of. Death!!! Laptop mouse cursor will hang for a few seconds and then I'll be hit with the windows 10 unhappy face blue screen and the laptop will restart. This is completely random and I have no idea when it is going to happen, but it happens a lot.

I'm from the UK but live in China so I bought the laptop direct from an official Gigabyte dealer. The dealer will not help me now because 7 days have passed for which I had to take the laptop back if there were any problems, and I've phoned Gigabyte China support with whom I have the 2 year warranty activated. They simply do not want to help me and direct me back to the dealer I bought it off, even though I have explained that he will not help me anymore.

I am at my wit's end now.

Appreciate any advice you can provide guys.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi all,

Having some major problems with my Aero 15X v8 which are just making the laptop pretty much unusable.

The three problems that are plaguing me the most are:

1). Installed a new m.2 SSD (HP EX920 1TB) in the second available slot about a week ago. Its specs are definitely compatible with the laptop. Windows recognised it for a few days - since then it will recognise it in the BIOS but not in Windows itself. When I have it in the slot, Windows will take 3+ minutes to boot up even though I disable the drive as a boot device in the BIOS. Can anyone who has successfully installed a second m.2 drive please let me know your exact BIOS settings because this is driving me around the bend now.

2). If I try and install a large game when I am unplugged and on battery it will say that it is going to take 4+ hours to install... the speeds on my SSD drop extremely low and if I open Farcry 5 or Final Fantasy XV, the framerate will be 30 or lower on battery compared to 80+ when I plug in the power. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Simply unacceptable to not be able to install things or game when on an unplugged, but full battery laptop especially considering how expensive this device is.

3.) Damn. Blue. Screens. Of. Death!!! Laptop mouse cursor will hang for a few seconds and then I'll be hit with the windows 10 unhappy face blue screen and the laptop will restart. This is completely random and I have no idea when it is going to happen, but it happens a lot.

I'm from the UK but live in China so I bought the laptop direct from an official Gigabyte dealer. The dealer will not help me now because 7 days have passed for which I had to take the laptop back if there were any problems, and I've phoned Gigabyte China support with whom I have the 2 year warranty activated. They simply do not want to help me and direct me back to the dealer I bought it off, even though I have explained that he will not help me anymore.

I am at my wit's end now.

Appreciate any advice you can provide guys.

Hi Prot0 - sorry to hear of your issues, in CHINA.

We have forwarded to our colleagues in HQ.

Can you please confirm:

• Re-seller who you purchased from
  • Serial Number of the machine

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate

That sounds less like a BIOS issue and more like a dodgy connection between the drive and the motherboard. I've seen similar things building my own desktops, with things as innocuous as USB wiring. If the motherboard recognises there's something there but it can't figure out what it is, it will spend time trying on startup and then give up.

My advice: Take the secondary drive out, see if everything works smoothly. If it does then clean all the connections with a damp cloth and hook it back together again.

Associate
Update on the issues I've been seeing since the Windows Update: I can now force it to happen, by minimizing-maximizing a window quickly for a few seconds, which is making it easier to diagnose. It seems to be windows animations that cause the system to hang. Sometimes, but not always, I get an error in the Event Log saying "The program ShellExperienceHost.exe version 10.0.17134.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed". As I understand it, ShellExperienceHost is the thing that handles those animations, so that would make sense.

But here's the weirdest thing ... I also noticed similar messages from Slack. If I shut down Slack, everything works fine *. I've tried redownloading and reinstalling Slack, that didn't help. I've tried Slack on another computer with the latest Windows Pro, no problem there. And Slack was working just fine before the Windows Update. So I'm pretty sure Slack's not the problem (let's be honest; the Slack Windows app is just a web-browser optimised to their site). But removing it does seem to solve my problem. Unfortunately, I kind of need Slack.

* A couple of caveats to "everything works fine". I have had a similar error "The program RtkUWP.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed" today, while Slack was shut down. I assume that UWP there is Universal Windows Platform, and that RTK is Realtek. But I can't find anything about that software specifically.

I also get an occasional exception from GigabyteFusionShortcut.

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
at AorusFusionShortcut.Program.Main()

But neither of these things are crashing my system. I'm not sure whether they are related to the previous issues or if they're insignificant and I'm only seeing them because I'm looking at the event logs.

Associate
Bizarre. In addition to the above, I noticed I was getting a lot of certificate-authority errors from Docker. I'd been ignoring them because it didn't seem like it could be related and Docker seemed to be working ok.

But I did notice, in those errors, that Docker didn't seem to realise that I'd changed my machine name -- honestly, I'd forgotten that I'd done that too. So it was trying to identify as XXX\my.name instead of the new YYY\my.name. I reset Docker to "factory defaults" and that didn't seem to make much of a difference (except I wasn't getting that specific error any more).

I uninstalled Slack for the 15th time and removed all its files, anywhere I could find them. Thought it might be that Slack had a username cached that was also wrong. Reinstalled Slack and the animation telling me that my notifications would appear "here" hung the entire system up again. Hard-reset and restarted and now everything seems to be working perfectly.

I've no explanation for that one. I guess something in that process needed a restart to complete it properly, but I don't know what. I leave this here for inspiration, in case anyone has a similar situation and needs things to try (or in case it all goes wrong again later and I need to expand on this even further).

Associate
Hi Prot0 - sorry to hear of your issues, in CHINA.

We have forwarded to our colleagues in HQ.

Can you please confirm:

• Re-seller who you purchased from
  • Serial Number of the machine

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Hi Atom80. Many thanks for your reply.

My wife and I took the subway up to Gigabyte support office in North Beijing yesterday and walked in asking if an engineer could look at the problems. The support office is actually a company called 'Best Yield Tech' and acts as an official support centre for Gigabyte in Beijing. My Chinese is pathetic and my wife's understanding of tech isn't much better, so it made for a very frustrating explanation of all my problems :p

We were there for six hours in the waiting room while an engineer had my laptop in the back. He managed to get the HP SSD working alongside the Toshiba SSD currently installed but that lasted for about 30 minutes at which point the HP SSD was no longer being seen in Windows (it was in the BIOS though). Every time my laptop would start up it would take 3-4 minutes to boot with both SSD's in. It would take 10 seconds with only the Toshiba in. On some restarts the HP one would be visible in the BIOS, on other restarts it wouldn't. He mentioned there has been two other's who have been in contact in recent weeks about their v8 refusing to take a secondary SSD and even RAM. I myself purchased a G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2400hz a week ago which caused black screen on start up probably cos it was 2400hz and the one included is 2666hz? Had to return it in the end to JD.com and get he money back.

At one point he was checking Windows and the mouse froze for 15 seconds, laptop blue-screened and restarted itself at 15% into the diagnostic. All the problems I outlined above happened during the six hour period. The engineer took the laptop in the back and told us he would do a fresh install of windows on it and wouldn't take long. I've done 12 fresh installs so far and nothing helped so I was feeling hopeless, but he told us he would try. It took another hour and when he came back he had installed windows on his OWN Samsung 128GB SSD that he was testing in the machine instead of on my Toshiba SSD :confused: At this point it was late and the centre was closing so all we could do was leave and get the train home.

My wife inquired about the possibility of Gigabyte sending me a replacement laptop to try. He told us that they can only do that within 15 days purchase and that unfortunately I've had the device now for 17 days.... The official dealer I bought it off has long since stopped any support and does not reply to any of our messages now.

The conclusion was that the engineer thinks it may be a faulty motherboard/hard-drive so he is ordering both items from Taiwan which will take 7 days. He will ring us when they arrive and my wife will travel there with the laptop because the service center is only open through the week and I cannot get any time off work. Apparently we were extremely lucky to take it yesterday, on a Sunday, because they were working but were not supposed to be in on weekends.

I've had an awful experience this last two weeks and I feel extremely sorry for any others who also have so many issues. Hope it can get sorted but if it cannot there is apparently no way I can receive a refund now :(

Atom80 - If you need the serial number of the machine, should I send it by PM? It looked like the engineer took some pretty extensive notes yesterday when he ordered the parts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom