USB powered DACs

Associate
Word of warning, I wouldn't bother getting a USB powered DAC as my experience of them is you'll hear a very annoying computer electrical interference noise coming through your speakers.

This post is just a heads up for any potential buyers. Either get a mains powered DAC or be prepared to troubleshoot this issue. I've got no idea why they're sold as you can clearly hear the noise when music is playing on a medium to low volume.

Man of Honour
Usually due to a ground loop or similar - its relatively easy to isolate them and not that expensive but I guess its one way of saving cost :(

Soldato
Usually a pc issue rather than the dac.

I used an optical dac to solve my bad inference issues coming from 3.5mm out to my monitors.

Associate
OP
Yeah agreed, it most probably is a PC issue but the result of the DAC being USB powered means it exhibits the results. My understanding is a mains powered DAC wouldn't exhibit the same results.

As it's such a common issue I feel like whatever combination of plugs / power strips to resolve ground loops should be clearly explained and advised upon in the user manual. As it is it's not fit for purpose.

Soldato
I got some EMI coming through the USB with my mk1 Schiit Modi but it was only noticeable when not playing music. My Modi Multibit, being mains powered is totally silent.

Associate
OP
Usually due to a ground loop or similar
So speakers and amp on one power strip = electrical noise. Moving the PC PSU onto the same power strip = same electrical noise. I'm guessing I'm missing what the correct combination is.

I got some EMI coming through the USB with my mk1 Schiit Modi but it was only noticeable when not playing music. My Modi Multibit, being mains powered is totally silent.
Cheers, yeah it's so frustrating when you can hear it when playing music relatively quietly or when it's classical or something else similar.

Associate
OP
I should add that using a laptop (both on battery and mains) did resolve the noise issues, whether this is the case just for me, or more in general I couldn't say.

Soldato
it was the GPU causing the noise in my case, as soon as I started gaming I could hear the EMI ramping up along with the GPU cooling fans. I get zero noise through the Modi Multibit and oddly enough, my Asus STX isn't affected either.

Man of Honour
it was the GPU causing the noise in my case, as soon as I started gaming I could hear the EMI ramping up along with the GPU cooling fans. I get zero noise through the Modi Multibit and oddly enough, my Asus STX isn't affected either.

I have to be a bit careful on my setup to keep the soundcard away from where the NIC hardware is on the motherboard - the AE-5 seems fairly well isolated against it but the other soundcards I've used in this system like my X-Fi were much more susceptible to it. I've not really noticed any issues with EMI from the GPU though.

Soldato
I’m getting coil whine from my GPU now and it transfers to my sound card and through my headphones. Very annoying.

I’ve bought a Creative Soundblaster Omni for £20 off of a friend which I hope will solved my issue.

I know it’s not a high grade product etc for you audiophiles but as long as it does the job I’ll be happy!

Soldato
You could rig these up with just a USB extension cable. Cut into the cable, cut both the positive and negative wires, on the female side that connects to the USB DAC connect the positive and negative to a 1A 5v phone charger and leave the signal wires intact. Its a simple solution with items you probably already have.

Back
Top Bottom