**** The Official Nokia 7 Plus Thread ****

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Also ordered mine from German Rainforest (dual sim is a must). The outgoing phone Nokia 7 Plus is replacing in my hand is Honor 8, which over the last 18 months lost 50% of its battery capacity and started malfunctioning hardware wise (finger print reader no longer works, people complain about microphone performance of late, I can't hear people clearly through earpiece, though speaker is fine, bluetooth is crackling). So - first impressions of Nokia 7 Plus and comparison to a Chinese Huawei clone.

The good:
- excellent call quality, volume of earpiece and speaker. A few youtubers complained about speaker volume, they don't know what they talk about, it offers the loudest satnav performance via built in speaker I've encountered for years.
- good, fast performance (in most, but not all areas)
- decent camera, nothing ground breaking, but it's ok.
- proper hybrid dual sim - obviously you still loose memory slot for the second sim but both sims can do 4G, both sims can be enabled for data. Remember that mine is European version from German Rainforest
- rSAP. First time I paired it with my car, it asked if I want to enable premium bluetooth and *tada* - magic I haven't seen for 8 years - aerial on the roof handles calls, car reads SMSes, you can dictate replies and everything. If it's your thing and you missed your wired nokia in-car cradle - this phone does it wirelessly.
- bloatware free - literally a single support app and that's it
- mine arrived with screen protector and a clear case, not one I would use, but thanks - either Nokia or Rainforest shop - nice touch. Charger also included. Small things but...

The meh and moan:
- It's big. Weird big. Tall, unshapely. Unnecessarily so. No benefit to this shape whatsoever.
- The screen is good, sharp, nice but has tinge - whites are yellow, compared to Honor, and because of it - it looks dated in comparison with 2 year old £250 Chinese phone.
- Androidone Oreo is so clunky compared to EMUI it's not even funny. Everything takes five-seven more steps than needed. Everything. The way you dial, the way you text, the way you search apps, the way you close all open apps. The way you try to flick that stupid swipe up to answer again and again and folk all happens. Also - stock stuff is just fugly. So darn fugly. Pink backgrounds in diallers, orange backgrounds in text. Violets. Radioactive greens. Glaring, unsociable. So microsoft, so eighties. (vomits inside mouth) And everything is surrounded by fields of empty white spaces the size of Arctic circle. As they say "you don't know how good something is till it's gone". EMUI - you will be missed. Don't get me wrong - I'm prepared for it, I already installed Nova Laucher to cure some of the clunkiness and ugliness, but man - each version of android is just competing more and more with IOS for waste of time and space (and amount of white backgrounds everywhere).
- How the **** is migration from android to android still such a mess? You still need to use twenty different programs with the weirdest possible paths and various online drives to transfer text history, call logs, pictures and apps and even then it's a complete mess - you open Waze and it still doesn't have your destination history from previous phone, you open an app and it still asks for login and password - are you forking spooning me? At the end of the second decade of 21st century - a cloud data backup still doesn't do proper restore? Get the funk out.

The weird and bad:
- Apps crash. Randomly. I know it's going to be cured (the whole androidone label), but it's like working with beta stages of OS. I thought androidone was more of a "always latest stable, always patched".
- Fingerprint scanner doesn't have gestures. I didn't know this was even a thing. Yet it doesn't do anything else than reading your finger. No swipe down for menu, no hold for torch. So disappointed.
- Flash led is yellow. Therefore torch is yellow. Whaaaat? Why? Weird.
- No notification LED.

In general - good phone, but not earth stopping. If it was a tad smaller and had all mod cons (fingerprint scanner gestures, dude...) - it would be top 3 contender. But as is - somewhere at the end of top 10. I don't regret buying it, it's good value for money, it's a keeper - I like it but I don't love it. Whereas I loved my Honor 8. It was the best £250 I have ever spent on a phone. Didn't buy Honor 9 because a) scanner on the front and I don't do front scanners b) I think even those bald Russians that sell Sammsong, Aplee and GL branded phones at local boot fair have more frequent updates and better software support than Huawei group.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Literally never heard another person say EMUI is better than stock Android :confused:

For starters EMUI is skinable, so you rarely end up waking up entire neighbourhood with glare from your screen when browsing to your contacts, but fair dues - EMUI dialer is way quicker, selecting between both sims while calling is way quicker both in car and in person (in stock Oreo you now have to poke tiny phone icon, most uncomfortably at the furthest edge of the screen from your finger, then select sim you want to use for which, you guessed it, the overlay is positioned just outside reach of your thumb), contacts are way better looking in EMUI, answering screens are clearer and easier to navigate. Messaging app - there is just no comparison - stock Oreo app is just ugly, ugly beast. And you get way more tweaks, customisations and settings with EMUI as well.

Hmm, this was going to be my next phone but the lack of water proofing, mediocre camera, odd notification LED colour have put me off I reckon

There is no notification LED, in any colour, at least on mine. You can set the screen to wake up, that's it.

Soldato
Literally never heard another person say EMUI is better than stock Android :confused:

I've been stock android since nexus 4, then nexus 6P and now on Emui on Honor View 10 and I find EMUI that little bit more easier to navigate. I have Nova Launcher but I've always had that but like the other user above said lots of better ways to do things, especially dual sim features.

I just hope I get at least 1 or 2 major updates in the time of this phone. But again for £333 it's been a bargain in my opinion.

Soldato
There is no notification LED, in any colour, at least on mine. You can set the screen to wake up, that's it.

Ah, I interpreted from a previous post that it was yellow. If there's no notification LED at all, that's even worse! Odd decision by Nokia

Oh well, back to the drawing board to find a new phone

Associate
- mine arrived with screen protector and a clear case,

I saw this post and filled me with hope that it would come pre-applied with a screen protector. I just received my UK ordered one and it came with the clear case, but no screen protection... Never had to apply one for a long time so ordered one up and will give that a shot.

Associate
I saw this post and filled me with hope that it would come pre-applied with a screen protector. I just received my UK ordered one and it came with the clear case, but no screen protection... Never had to apply one for a long time so ordered one up and will give that a shot.

Mine also just arrived (UK) and likewise, only came with the clear-case.

Never had to use a screen protector before - they all the same or are there some reputable brands that people prefer?

Associate
And? Is it true that UK version don't support second sim?

JuPVlSI.jpg
9Dx1jzN.jpg

It is still in the instructions, but I cannot get the sim to fit in the 2nd slot/SD Card. It sits proud... Maybe this was the only way of stopping it, would be interesting if someone tried to modify the tray to see if it still works or if its a software lock.

Mine also just arrived (UK) and likewise, only came with the clear-case.

Never had to use a screen protector before - they all the same or are there some reputable brands that people prefer?

I just took a gamble on the UK Rainforest. Not much choice to be fair, but just took anything to keep it protected for the time being. More annoyed at the hassle in fitting one, been lucky in the past that they all come pre-applied.

Associate
My Lenovo P2 is starting to misbehave so considering replacing it with one of these.

What are the first impressions from those that have received it over the last day or so?

Soldato
Anyone received the latest update with Face unlock and camera tweaks, would be interesting to know if it's any better now, My Honor8 is losing battery capacity so might need to upgrade earlier than I wanted.

Soldato
After having this phone for about a month I have to say that it is extremely underwhelming.

There are several issues with it. Most notably it's very difficult to hold ergonomically and the device is quite tall and heavy.

The lack of Bluetooth codecs such as LDAC kill it for me also the Bluetooth stutters a fair bit on playback whicj I find incredibly annoying.
There are several quirks with the software. Not only is it barebones but several apps keep crashing.

The camera is slow and stuttery when you first start it and the pics taken from the device are unremarkable.

8.0.1 still hasn't arrived on the Nokia 7 Plus despite several YouTubers getting the update on their devices.

This phone is meant to be a stop gap for me until I buy another device. I only have to wait around 3 weeks before I get either a Honor 10, OP6 or something else but even 3 weeks is quite a struggle with this phone.

My advice is don't buy it.

Associate
I purchased a 7+ this morning, the negative posts in this thread had me wavering, though I'm glad they didn't dissuade me from buying it.

The phone is running great, not that any issues apart from the update to 8.1 not showing up, though I'm sure it'll appear in the next few days, no big deal.

Last edited:
Associate
I too don't really get what people are upset about. I've been using mine all weekend and I have to say I'm really liking it. I will conceed I haven't quite decided if I think the camera is decent or not however. Took this today with the 2x optical zoom:

sN1cxFs.jpg

It's an okay picture. I think the sharpening is a bit too aggressive and the colour balance seems a bit off; the exposure is too high. Whether I used HDR or not, it seemed a bit off. Maybe using gcam would rectify this or perhaps I shouldn't've used the optical 2x zoom but I think it's superior to the Oneplus 5T.

Apart from that, I think the build quality is amazing, the screen is fantastic for an IPS display, it has USB type-C, micro sd card slot, it hasn't lagged once and the battery life seems amazing. Downsides are the aforementioned lack of 8.1 (yet) and no damn notification LED (seriously, why?!).

I may still give the Redmi Note 5 a twirl because I'm curious as to if the Nokia 7 Plus is worth twice the price, but I definitely am not disappointed with it.

Caveat: I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited:
Soldato
Returned the Nokia 7 Plus back to German rainforest
Got a Honor 7X for £189 which feels much better ergonomically and apps aren't crashing anymore.

Dual SIM management is leaps and bounds better on the Honor device.

Back
Top Bottom