Flat earth brigade - I have no words

Soldato
its scary how they seem to be intellegent enough to peice together logic and are capable of taking established scientific theory at face value (like for example they're happy enough that laser light travels in a straight line) and yet they're simultaneously stupid enough to point blank ignore the logical conclusion that gravity is responsible for the earth (and every other planet) being round (well, oblate spheroids for the detail nazi's)

Pffft. There are numerous videos of hobbyists launching phones / drones / other recording devices into the Earth's atmosphere and the footage picks up the planet's curvature. Hell, even onboard a ferry, you can see a slight curvature. Those with such beliefs and other extreme beliefs should read the "How To Life" manual. How they're intelligent enough to apply for a job and get given a job offer begs the question.

Soldato
Almost as bonkers as people who believe in invisible sky friends.
Yeah, no. It's not even close, especially because religious people don't actually believe in invisible sky friends.

If you're gonna ridicule something, at least don't misrepresent it to do so.

its scary how they seem to be intellegent enough to peice together logic and are capable of taking established scientific theory at face value (like for example they're happy enough that laser light travels in a straight line) and yet they're simultaneously stupid enough to point blank ignore the logical conclusion that gravity is responsible for the earth (and every other planet) being round (well, oblate spheroids for the detail nazi's)
I think that these people are probably mentally ill to some extent.

Speaking of detail Nazis, there's no apostrophe in the plural of Nazi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Pffft. There are numerous videos of hobbyists launching phones / drones / other recording devices into the Earth's atmosphere and the footage picks up the planet's curvature. Hell, even onboard a ferry, you can see a slight curvature. Those with such beliefs and other extreme beliefs should read the "How To Life" manual. How they're intelligent enough to apply for a job and get given a job offer begs the question.

it's almost as if there was proof the earth was round or something.....

and of course, much like the moon landing nutjobs, they always miss out on the key point of failure in their argument- where's the motivation? are they seriously suggesting that the fact the world has an edge has been covered up during the entirety of human history? and if so, who's paid the collosal resources to guard it day and night for millenia and construct an elaborate but logically sound alternate story (that the earth is round) and put the effort into faking all the data that supports that story to fool the population. where's the profit in it? why would you bother?

at least with the moon landings you could argue for about 20 seconds that it was faked to fool the russians, until that argument gets blasted down by the same logic that highlights successfully faking it would take more effort than actually doing it.

Speaking of detail Nazis, there's no apostrophe in the plural of Nazi.

goddammit <_<

Soldato
What beggars belief is that our culture has become so accepting of complete idiocy, to the point, we are happy to give it time, and give it a stage.
Social media is much to blame, as 'outrage' on SM might be a single person, or indeed bot, in any nation on earth, but somehow it can have multinational changes associated with idiocy.

I think flat earthing is great, an ice wall right around the planet to hold the water in. North pole being right in the middle, and everything around Antarctica being a complete wall that can't be crossed.

Class. Who first in modern times dreamt up this jibberish?

Man of Honour
Funnily enough I watched a very interesting video today and not done in the style of 'Loose Change' and other crank/hobbyist videos (although it has to be said that the guy who did Loose Change has now gone back on all of it now he has had proof).
Anyway, the video features professionals who all come from different backgrounds and around 7 tests were done several times in different places over the Earth.
So let's take just one of them:
They are on Lake Titicaca with a very powerful laser pointing around 40km into the distance and the laser is about 3 foot off the waters surface in a straight line.
My math is out here but if there is a curvature the water over that distance will be about 3 stories high (or a lot higher) and the laser won't reach the beach the other side - it did.
In another experiment top topography people from Brazil measured using GPS (within cm) the co ordinates of a building at the top & bottom. They did the same 110km away to a building which would mean the measurement at the top should be bigger than the measurement at the bottom if there is a curvature - it was exactly the same.
There were 5 other experiments and in all cases the water/land between two points many miles away were flat!

I'm sounding like a loon here but I'm hoping someone on here can refute all their findings because it sounds stupid -

Man of Honour
The earth isn't a perfect sphere. I imagine it's perfectly possible to cherry pick a handful of sites that fit and disregard the millions of others. That's if theyre telling the truth in the first place.
Still doesn't get over estimate imagery of earth, gravity data and of course telescopes observing other planets.

Soldato
In another experiment top topography people from Brazil measured using GPS (within cm) the co ordinates of a building at the top & bottom. They did the same 110km away to a building which would mean the measurement at the top should be bigger than the measurement at the bottom if there is a curvature - it was exactly the same.

GPS?
Using the satellites that are positioned in orbit around a globe...…
How did they use satellites positioned around a globe to measure that there wasn't a globe?
I can't comprehend this at all.

Man of Honour
GPS?
Using the satellites that are positioned in orbit around a globe...…
How did they use satellites positioned around a globe to measure that there wasn't a globe?
I can't comprehend this at all.

It is all explained in the video :)
Even daylight/night time.

My argument has always been that if you watch a ship sail out into the sunset you see it slowly disappear however they have 'proved :)' that isn't the case and it's all to do with the same optic theory that people see mirages in the desert. Using a very powerful telescope they were able to watch the ship for many 100s of kms.

Soldato
"Gravity does not exist"

FFS

Nate

i love the explanation one gave to counter gravity- the earth is moving upwards thats why stuff falls down

well, it wouldn't be a velocity it'd have to be an accellearation, and fortunately we know accelleration due to gravity is 9.81m/s² so that's how much the earth would need to accellerate by.

so, if we take 1 year we'd be doing the speed of light. impressive then how those lasers don't curve downwards all the time then, if we're going up at the speed of light......

Back
Top Bottom