God of War 4

Soldato
Finished it last night and loved it, combat layered up nicely and the perks/enchantments added some real interest. The story was surprisingly good and I loved how the lore was worked in during the quieter moments with enough humour to stop it feeling like a history lesson. I thought all of the characters were great and the dialogue consistently entertaining, they have certainly set a high bar for the inevitable sequels (don't miss the extra ending sequence you can get by returning home post-game).

I can only think of a few minor nitpicks, I don't think any of these count as spoilers since I don't mention any story elements but will wrap in spoiler tags just in case.

- A few more bosses on the scale of previous games would have been fun.
- The middle story arc for Atreus felt a bit rushed in my opinion.
- A way to fast travel from anywhere and to anywhere rather than only within one realm and only from the doors.
- The end-game rewards are kind of useless since you've already beaten the hardest parts of the game, a New Game Plus mode would be awesome to solve that.

Soldato
Picking up on one of ricky1981's non-spoilers.

But mine might actually be a spolier, so here goes....

Atreus' story arc where he goes off the rails.
I thought the build up was ace. It was subtle. It really left you thinking "Is he gonna go full asshat?", and they probably couldn't have done it better if they tried.
Atreus going back to being good from an asshat happened faster than it takes to make a cup of tea. I literally thought there'd been a bug and I'd skipped something important or made the story go out of whack it was THAT sudden and fast and out of nowhere.

Soldato
I've just finished it, and had a quick look at the additional realms you unlock. Some trials and a weird mist trial thing just don't interest me at all, particularly as has been said, you've finished the game so the additional stats etc don't go towards much other than Valkyries I guess.

Will there be DLC for this, or will they be standalone? I'm just wondering whether it's safe to trade in my copy for something else. But I guess it's not been announced?

Soldato
Atreus' story arc where he goes off the rails.
I thought the build up was ace. It was subtle. It really left you thinking "Is he gonna go full asshat?", and they probably couldn't have done it better if they tried.
Atreus going back to being good from an asshat happened faster than it takes to make a cup of tea. I literally thought there'd been a bug and I'd skipped something important or made the story go out of whack it was THAT sudden and fast and out of nowhere.

I actually thought that was going to be the final end game fight. He was getting on my last nerve and I would have liked nothing more than to kick his ass.

Soldato
I've just finished it, and had a quick look at the additional realms you unlock. Some trials and a weird mist trial thing just don't interest me at all, particularly as has been said, you've finished the game so the additional stats etc don't go towards much other than Valkyries I guess.

Will there be DLC for this, or will they be standalone? I'm just wondering whether it's safe to trade in my copy for something else. But I guess it's not been announced?
Pretty sure they said no DLC was planned but I'd still not take that to mean they won't. The heads will see the sales figures and probably force them to do it :D

I hope they don't, it's nice to have a standalone game for a change

Soldato

It's worth doing the Valkyries as the culmination of that is the hardest fight in the game. I did everything other than Odin's ravens as I couldn't be bothered tracking them all down.

Additional story DLC was ruled out previously and it's hard to see where they'd fit it in as the story really does tie up nicely for a full sequel.

Soldato
Phew..... finished the game on 3/4 difficulty.
Amazing stuff. Wish I could forget it and then enjoy it all over again :D
(Not sure I wanna try again on GoW difficulty)

Going for 100% now.
Nothing more satisfying than meeting a Valkyrie that kicks your ass, then figuring out the patterns, and then having the manual dexterity to kick her ass back :)
(Just did the one called Eir I think, with the metal shield wings)

Associate
Loving this game, first game I’ve played in a while where I can’t put it down. Been doing as many of the side quests as I can, also the puzzle elements although not to difficult are fun to figure out. Surprising how much there is hidden away in some of the levels.

Beat one Valkerie, tough fight as she kept spawning adds that had to be dealt with. Just found another who’s proving to be a pain to deal with. She has some devastating range attacks and can close the ground quickly and follow up with a body slam. Had her life low several times but she then goes nuts and kicks my behind. Think I’m going to level up my armour a bit more, using some level 5 armour at mo.

Associate
With the Pro I went with resolution and haven’t noticed any problems with the frame rate. Game and art style looks stunning, for me this is the best looking PS4 game I’ve played. HDR isn’t as vibrant as HZD but still used to good effect.

Soldato
Kinda disappointed by one of the puzzles to get a Legendary Chest.
At no point in the game have I been taught or been shown that some (or indeed 1) of the hel-wind statues can be picked up, yet I needed to know this to complete the puzzle.

True, if you get close to the statue, an indicator appears, however since you are using your chain blade thingies to do wind puzzles, there's no point for you to get close enough to that statue for the indicator to pop up.

A small yet weirdly inconsistent blemish on a great game.
:p

Associate
Kinda disappointed by one of the puzzles to get a Legendary Chest.
At no point in the game have I been taught or been shown that some (or indeed 1) of the hel-wind statues can be picked up, yet I needed to know this to complete the puzzle.

True, if you get close to the statue, an indicator appears, however since you are using your chain blade thingies to do wind puzzles, there's no point for you to get close enough to that statue for the indicator to pop up.

A small yet weirdly inconsistent blemish on a great game.
:p

I agree with you on that. I saw Jim Sterling do it on his Jimquisition.

Soldato
With the Pro I went with resolution and haven’t noticed any problems with the frame rate. Game and art style looks stunning, for me this is the best looking PS4 game I’ve played. HDR isn’t as vibrant as HZD but still used to good effect.
Noo no problems here either on that setting :) was just saying the higher frame rate option isn't great as it fluctuates anywhere up to 60

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Noo no problems here either on that setting :) was just saying the higher frame rate option isn't great as it fluctuates anywhere up to 60

I find it unplayable on PS4PRO and Samsung KS7000 in high resolution mode. Performance mode is so much better, I hate motion blur mind, so have that set to 0, probably what makes resolution mode unplayable to me. With blur on it just looks... blurry, with it off, the FPS is way too low. Fantastic looking game even at the lower resolution however :)

Associate
Just updated to Patch 1.21 and now the game is not full screen? Black bars top bottom and sides. Anybody else have this? No option to change it in game video options and PS4 settings the screen size is set to fill the screen.

Annoying patch. Anybody else have this after the patch?

Back
Top Bottom