Which budget headset?

Associate
I am looking for some cheap headphones I can plug into a tablet (std phone plugin i think 3.5mm) to play pubg in bed when wife is sleeping.

I am currently using the free earbud things that came with my phone and sound is good enough but they are uncomfy and keep falling out.

I think closed cup would be better to reduce noise?

Suggestions please?

Cheers

Associate
OP
I'll pay whatever is needed to meet my needs,I really have no idea how much they cost. Suppose I was looking for suggestions even if at different costs.
Just note I won't be using them for any music and don't want any artificial surround effects.
Thanks

Man of Honour
Are you using the foam earpads that come with the earbuds? usually helps a lot with keeping them in and you can usually get different sizes, etc. to help with that.

Soldato
If you'd prefer headphones to earphones, Creative Aurvana Live! which can be had from Creative's website, are a good buy for £40.

Associate
If you'd prefer headphones to earphones, Creative Aurvana Live! which can be had from Creative's website, are a good buy for £40.
Agreed, amazing value for money. Obviously not closed back but you might find these are okay still. Don't go for the newer, more expensive version, stick with the originals.

Associate
OP
Thanks for suggestion.

I'm a noob at headphones. On the site I see there are Bluetooth headphones. Are these any good for gaming or too much lag?

Any other pros or cons? I only play for up to an hour a day so battery should last a while.

Also on the wired one, how do I know if it's 1st gen as doesnt say?

Associate
First gen (Aurvana Live!) is £39.99 with a round earcup, second gen (Aurvana Live!2) are £64.99 are has a more triangular earcup.

Associate
I'm not familiar with their Bluetooth headphones. You'd need to read up on how they compare. I imagine more tech to make them Bluetooth = more cost, or savings elsewhere in the original design.

I suppose it goes back to what's your budget, and what do you want out of a pair of headphones... The best sound quality for your money? Bluetooth? Mic? Gaming oriented but you said no artificial surround effects? Looks? Noise cancelling? Closed back?

The higher the budget the more choice. Limited budget means the CALs will tick sound quality and no special effects but not much else on the made up list.

Soldato
Thanks. is it best to stick with wired?

Wired will always be better for any given budget. Bluetooth requires a bunch of electronics that wired headphones don't need. Those cost money, so everything else must be cheaper. In short, £40 wired headphones will sound better than £40 Bluetooth ones, purely because more money is spent on what matters.

You usually have to pay more for Bluetooth headphones compared to wired to get the same or similar sound quality. Bluetooth headphones with a RRP of £40 aren't going to be particularly good, such as the Soundblaster JAM on Creative's site. The other two (WP380 and 450) have a much higher RRP; around £100. Meaning the quality won't be skimped on as much as the JAM's.

Even so, with around £100 RRP, user reviews for the WP380 and 450 are somewhat middling on the jungle site.

If we take AKG's Y50BT headphones as an example, they have an RRP of £120 (similar to the Creative's), but the sale price is around £100. Why can Creative sell a £100 Bluetooth headphone for £40? Possible that the RRP's were inflated to make them look like a more expensive better quality headphones? Looks good against the promo price of around £40. Just a thought.

As for the £80 RRP of the Aurvana Live! compared to the actual price of £40. They did cost that at one point. Been around for a few years now and are based on Denon AH-D1001 headphones. A price drop on older headphones is much more expected.

I think unless you really need Bluetooth and want to wear them walking around the house listening to music; for use in bed connected to a tablet, at this budget I'd stick with wired.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone (and especially Marsman for Aurnana suggestion and great advice at end, just what I needed) - Ill get the Aurvana Live! now.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom