Looking for a decent & modular option.

Associate
I've been looking around for a modular PSU that's decent and not expensive, my budget is around £50, can push it up to £60.

Currently using SilverStone SFX 450w (one that came with SG05) in my Raijintek Metis Plus case, but it's non modular so it's a bit of mess in cable management department, only 24 pin + 8 pin for motherboard and 6 pin for GPU are in use, so all these SATA/molex pins are wasted.

Any good modular PSU I can get? It doesn't have to be fully modular, I just want to have the option of having no SATA/molex cables attached. It doesn't have to be SFX.

Looked at Corsair CX450M, it ticks all the boxes (price, size, cable options, all black cables, modularity) but reviews of it worries me, is it really that bad or is it decent enough for what I have? (Ryzen 5 1600, RX 570 and M2 SSD, so it doesn't consume a lot of power).

Soldato
You won't be getting modular PSU with quality components on that budget.
In fact you won't even get modern 80+ Gold PSU but just medieval 80+ Bronzes.

Associate
You won't be getting modular PSU with quality components on that budget.
In fact you won't even get modern 80+ Gold PSU but just medieval 80+ Bronzes.

The PSU Lewis has suggested is fully modular, 80+ gold, rated as "tier 1" on "the list" and within budget.

Soldato
Really strange a small number of websites are listing 650W G2s for £60-£70 whilst other more reputable sellers are all asking around £100+. Watch the weekly deals and look out for a nice gold unit on special.

Associate
Why would you want "750w and up" for that case?
Sorry i'm not sure i understand the question? A few people have mentioned that there is no chance of finding a half decent modular PSU for the price range that the OP was looking in, so I was asking for people's opinions on what sort of budget would be realistically required for a reasonably good modular PSU in the wattage range of around 750+ (From my selfish reason of the fact that i'm looking to upgrade my setup and will be looking for a 750+ wattage modular PSU).

Thanks!

Associate
OP
CX450M isn't too bad, sure it's not the best but it's not the worst either, ticks all the boxes (for me), I would have went for Corsair's SFX but everywhere I looked, it was sold out and I didn't want to wait.

As for something 750w+ budget and modular, EVGA PSUs mentioned in this thread aren't bad, Corsair's RM range doesn't seem too bad, don't think these are budget PSUs, though.

With PSUs, you usually have to pick 2 of 3 from the following - Budget, Modular and Quality.

Associate
Sorry i'm not sure i understand the question? A few people have mentioned that there is no chance of finding a half decent modular PSU for the price range that the OP was looking in, so I was asking for people's opinions on what sort of budget would be realistically required for a reasonably good modular PSU in the wattage range of around 750+ (From my selfish reason of the fact that i'm looking to upgrade my setup and will be looking for a 750+ wattage modular PSU).

Thanks!

Hi, what I mean is what on earth do you plan on putting into that case that will need 750+watts? :D

A decent 650w will be more than enough for a rig using a 1080ti for example.

Associate
Hi, what I mean is what on earth do you plan on putting into that case that will need 750+watts? :D

A decent 650w will be more than enough for a rig using a 1080ti for example.
Ah, i get you now! I have a 600W PSU at the moment, which i'm not entirely convinced is running very stable voltages. So my plan was to go for a decent increase in PSU size to rule out any PSU issues, as well as future proof any upgrades i might make in the future :)

Associate
Ah, i get you now! I have a 600W PSU at the moment, which i'm not entirely convinced is running very stable voltages. So my plan was to go for a decent increase in PSU size to rule out any PSU issues, as well as future proof any upgrades i might make in the future :)

PSU Quality is the main thing really, I would suggest that unless you plan for some sort of extreme build / high end SLI, then 650w will be fine now and in the future.

For my PC I've recently bought a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w (was from ocuk at £79.99 delivered) and have been pleased with it, currently running 8700k oc'd, 1060, 2x hdd, ssd. Probably overkill for my system, but allows me the option to add a much more power hungry gpu later down the line.

Oh I see your using a OCZ ModXStream? If so they are pretty bad quality, something like the Seasonic above while only being "50w more" should power a lot more and be far more reliable. (If you go by the "PSU Tier Lists", it puts the OCZ as Rank 5 and the Seasonic as Rank 1 for example)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom