• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 2 Overall system / memory stability

Associate
Have had a 1700, 2700x and now 8700k.

The intel is the most reliable and refined from the lot by far the moment.

The 2700x and AM4 platform on a whole with new bios revisions may get better.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't touch an Intel build at the moment, At least not until we know where things stand with the new Spectre bugs & patches. If you can I'd wait a few weeks before committing.

That is a good point actually, though any loss in performance for Intel is only going to make Ryzen look to be an even better buy. I have the first week of June off so I'll be building the PC then so I do have a few weeks I can wait before ordering whichever CPU / Mobo I go with.

Have had a 1700, 2700x and now 8700k.

The intel is the most reliable and refined from the lot by far the moment.

The 2700x and AM4 platform on a whole with new bios revisions may get better.

This is my issue really, on stats alone the 2700x is easily the better CPU for me for the tasks I do nevermind the available upgrade path but in terms of my experience / lack of patience to continually tweak and refine the system then Intel is the better choice. I'm starting to think it is going to be a tough choice as this thread has highlighted that there are people who have plugged and played with Ryzen 2 so it is basically a lottery and the only way I'm going to find out is order the components and hope for the best.

Permabanned
That is a good point actually, though any loss in performance for Intel is only going to make Ryzen look to be an even better buy. I have the first week of June off so I'll be building the PC then so I do have a few weeks I can wait before ordering whichever CPU / Mobo I go with.

This is my issue really, on stats alone the 2700x is easily the better CPU for me for the tasks I do nevermind the available upgrade path but in terms of my experience / lack of patience to continually tweak and refine the system then Intel is the better choice. I'm starting to think it is going to be a tough choice as this thread has highlighted that there are people who have plugged and played with Ryzen 2 so it is basically a lottery and the only way I'm going to find out is order the components and hope for the best.
Yup Possibly got most amount of time on OCUK spent with tweeking Ryzen. So I know how to work with it moving from 1700x C6H to 2700x C7H was 3 hour job most of it messing about with screwdriver then 30 minutes to set my good settings in bios. Boom Booted self updated drivers using wifi.And been 0 problems ever since.

then we got few here that cant get it running even at stock....

HeX

HeX

Soldato

Ryzen 2 has been plug and play experience for me. Took my 1700 out, dropped the 2700X in, booted, set the XMP profile for the 8pack RAM and it's been rock solid since - 0 issues.

I think if you go for a ASUS CH or ASRock Taichi and B-die memory you're pretty much guaranteed a zero hassle build.

Soldato
I'm sorry to hear that some have experienced stability issues with their 2700X and X370 motherboards. For me it was pure hassle free and a delight in comparison to replacing an entire motherboard with the inevitable scratch Windows install.
  • Updated CH6 bios to 6101
  • Set optimised defaults in BIOS
  • Turned off PC
  • Removed AIO block from CPU
  • Removed 1700X
  • Dropped in 2700X
  • Replace AIO block on CPU
  • Boot PC
  • Set desired BIOS options
I have had zero issues with stability, or cold boot problems.

I have 32GB Team Group Night Hawk LED DDR4 3000 RAM and it was a simple case of picking D.O.C.P and off it run at the rated speed. I have even been able to run at 3133 OC with loser timings, or 3000 with tighter timings.

Soldato
OP
Ryzen 2 has been plug and play experience for me. Took my 1700 out, dropped the 2700X in, booted, set the XMP profile for the 8pack RAM and it's been rock solid since - 0 issues.

I think if you go for a ASUS CH or ASRock Taichi and B-die memory you're pretty much guaranteed a zero hassle build.

As per the OP I was thinking of going for the Strix board as I don’t need the extra features of the CH7. However the amount the CH7 is recommended I think I may have to bite the bullet and accept I’m going further over budget.

Thanks to all for your comments too, I think I’m going to go for the 2700x. It still seems system stability is a bit of a gamble but less so than I thought before. So I think it is worth a roll of the dice for a better system than go the safe but worse route with the 8700k.

Associate

ive almost the same setup as @HeX and as he states , no issues , just plug n play.

Soldato
Any particular reason? It seemed a good place to save £60 as from what I’ve read they seem almost the same board with overall reviews being equal and teardowns praising the Strix’s power delivery as one of the best of the X470 platform.

You're right. Ch7 is for heavy tweakers, you want less faffing and strix is ideal whilst being high end enough.

Back
Top Bottom