Flash advice please

Soldato
Hi, I'm looking to get some hot shoe flashes for my Sony A7R2. I'm completely clueless about flashes, and so I don't know what the benefit of TTL is and if I want or need it, so advice would be very welcome.

Is TTL the ability to alter flash settings in camera rather than manually??

I've been looking at the Lumopro LP180R which thestrobist recommends, or the godox TT68TSS https://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/05/24/review-godox-thinklite-tt685s-ttl-sony/ which is cheaper...

I'd expect to use the flash/es off camera for macro, and think maybe to get 2 flashes and some light modifiers. I'd probably use one flash in hotshoe for events/friends' weddings etc.

Can anyone give some advice or recommendations of good flashes for Sony for my purposes?

Soldato
TTL basically makes using the flash transparent as it's being metered just like non-flash exposures. The camera makes the flash emit a weak pre-flash flash (!) which it uses to determine the required duration of the main flash. The pre-flash is often not noticeable. Yes, it also means that you can set flash exposure compensation on the camera.

I have three TT685S plus an XPro-S controller so I'm not likely to recommend any other brand...... However, if you are going to use them for macro then the smaller, lighter, cheaper TT350S is worth considering. Note that any Godox flash can be used on-camera as a controller for the others. And the off-camera flashes don't even have to be Sony-dedicated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Is the Godox tt685 button use interface easy enough to use?

How do you find the xpro-s trigger? Are you using it on Sony A7R2? - seems a few are having misfiring problems on a7r3...

Soldato
Can't answer your Sony specific questions as I use a Xpro-N with AD600's, but I've had no problems, found it very easy to use straight out of the box with my Nikon gear. I have read a couple of posts elsewhere about having to update firmware to solve various issues with certain makes, can't recall which brand was affected though. I updated my firmware as soon as I got my gear, in fact I believe I updated it all before I even tested it.

Soldato
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Is the Godox tt685 button use interface easy enough to use?

How do you find the xpro-s trigger? Are you using it on Sony A7R2? - seems a few are having misfiring problems on a7r3...
No problems with an a7R II. The tips for curing trigger problems are to turn off Electronic Front Curtain Shutter and, if the flashes are close to the camera, put the controller into 'short-range' mode - easy with the XPro-S.

Soldato
Bumping this thread rather than creating a new one, regarding the Godox stuff if all the on camera flashguns can be used as controllers to control other flashes why would you go a for an xPro controller + flashgun opposed to two flashguns?

Caporegime
Bumping this thread rather than creating a new one, regarding the Godox stuff if all the on camera flashguns can be used as controllers to control other flashes why would you go a for an xPro controller + flashgun opposed to two flashguns?

I am guessing the X-Pro is cheaper (£60) and easier access to all the groups with shortcuts buttons?

P

Soldato
This chart might be of assistance when considering the Godox range:-
LOL what's with the Russian Bombshells need love in Stoke-on-Trent pictures that keep coming up when I click the chart? It's only happening on the phone? Incidentally, I'm using the Pixapro St-III trigger with a couple of Li-ion 580IIF without issue if that's of any help. Pixapro is a rebranded Godox (Fuji)

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL what's with the Russian Bombshells need love in Stoke-on-Trent pictures that keep coming up when I click the chart? It's only happening on the phone?
No idea. Are you in need of love?:D
FWIW I get a couple of ad's for natural drinks, clearly I'm getting enough love and just need to lose weight.:p
Must be the image hosting site I used?:confused:

That chart should be updated btw. Godox have added a 600Pro (newer version of AD600) as well as a 400Pro.

Soldato
No idea. Are you in need of love?:D
FWIW I get a couple of ad's for natural drinks, clearly I'm getting enough love and just need to lose weight.:p
Must be the image hosting site I used?:confused:

That chart should be updated btw. Godox have added a 600Pro (newer version of AD600) as well as a 400Pro.
You did me a favor posting this as I'm currently looking at the v860II having realized from a video the Pixapro Li-ion 850II doesn't do TTL & HSS on camera. I've only previously used it off camera.

Back
Top Bottom