** Official Ubuntu Thread **

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Apparently do-release-upgrade wont find a new release until LTS 18.04.1 which is coming in July, so i'll be waiting until then before i start upgrading my 16.04's.

Associate
Apparently do-release-upgrade wont find a new release until LTS 18.04.1 which is coming in July, so i'll be waiting until then before i start upgrading my 16.04's.
Huh, really? I did it and upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04 that way.

Edit: oh, I added the -d flag, so without it, it won't work until point release is available.

Last edited:
Associate
I just discovered Lutris, oh man, it makes running Windows games on Linux so much easier, saves me time messing about with Wine settings to get stuff working properly since it applies configs for you.

Tested and played Hearthstone and WoW, ran well.

I would have held off on upgrading to 18.04 but I managed to borked my 16.04 installation, so, yeah :p also needed to run 18.04 to test my post install script, so figured I'd go for it and test everything. It's running pretty nicely.

Associate
I just discovered Lutris, oh man, it makes running Windows games on Linux so much easier, saves me time messing about with Wine settings to get stuff working properly since it applies configs for you.

Tested and played Hearthstone and WoW, ran well.

I would have held off on upgrading to 18.04 but I managed to borked my 16.04 installation, so, yeah :p also needed to run 18.04 to test my post install script, so figured I'd go for it and test everything. It's running pretty nicely.
Not heard of that before. Does it come pre built with 18.04?

Soldato
OP
I'm actually switching to Fedora as we speak.

---

Preferring Fedora to be honest. Cleaner more professional look to it.

Ubuntu 18.04 felt a bit buggy and flaky to me.

---

Actually finding Fedora flaky as well. Lots of Gnome crashes and crash to login screen during install of VMsin vbox.

Fresh install as well. So I've opted for Centos 7 instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm actually switching to Fedora as we speak.

---

Preferring Fedora to be honest. Cleaner more professional look to it.

Ubuntu 18.04 felt a bit buggy and flaky to me.

---

Actually finding Fedora flaky as well. Lots of Gnome crashes and crash to login screen during install of VMsin vbox.

Fresh install as well. So I've opted for Centos 7 instead.

I use Manjaro Gnome edition on the desktop. I highly recommend it, especially if you do any programming. For servers, I'm still on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I'll upgrade to 18.04 LTS when I'm relatively sure most of the initial launch bugs have been squashed.

Soldato
I'm in need of a new laptop. My old MBP 2011 has been great, but is slowly dying. I can't stomach Apple's new prices (although may wait and see what they do with the next Macbook 12), and Windows winds me up with its permanent "updating" screen and general popups.

I've fiddled with Ubuntu at times (although not for the last 5 years or so), but never used it as my primary OS. I'm reasonably comfortable with computers, the terminal, etc, but am a long way from being a coder and by and large want an OS that "just works" (at least as stably as Windows with less intrusion).

I generally only use a laptop for web browsing, remote working (via VMWare Horizon, which also has a browser-based version) and a bit of Word/Excel. I'll play a few games, but having checked Steam, they all (Civ, Crusader Kings, FM) appear to be available on Linux.

Would Ubuntu suit my needs? Or should I just suck it up and get a Mac?

Don
Ubuntu is good as a desktop, as Linux can get... its never going to be 100% Windows replacement, if you want Windows use Windows that is the bottom line...

I use Linux daily some of them Ubuntu and it is the best server OS out there, but for me Linux will be nothing more than a server OS to me in its current form

Stelly

Soldato
Ubuntu is good as a desktop, as Linux can get... its never going to be 100% Windows replacement, if you want Windows use Windows that is the bottom line...

I use Linux daily some of them Ubuntu and it is the best server OS out there, but for me Linux will be nothing more than a server OS to me in its current form

Stelly

My point is that I don't want Windows ;)

Back
Top Bottom