Kratos S5 Constant Hissing/Static sound

Associate
I recently purchased the Creative SoundBlasterX Kratos S5 Soundblaster speakers, and as soon as they are on there is a hissing sound which wont go away, weather its just on desktop, or even watching videos/listening to music.

I have tried:

Plugging into a different socket,
Setting up in a different room,
Setting up without the computer plugged in,
I have W10, so it installed drivers automatically, but I still went to their site and reinstalled the up to date firmware and drivers.
Even bought a second pair to see if something was faulty,
Turned down all volumes to the lowest possible - and if its on the highest volume its insanely loud.
It also still happens when the volume on the mixer is muted.

I had a more simple Logitech set of speakers before which did not make the hissing sound, or if it did it was so quite that I was not aware of it.

I'm truly at a loose end here! and the hissing is so loud and I can't really find anyone else with the same issue, after going through the trial and errors.

I've stuck with headphones mainly for years now, is this common in speakers?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
If that static is there even without any source connected then it's speakers.

Anyway SB Z has very likely lot better DAC than what's in those.

Associate
OP
I have my headset plugged to the SBZ and the Kratos connects via USB.
I find it strange though how I have 2, seperate Kratos S5's and both have the same issue,
and if thats the way they sound normally then that kinda sucks.

Soldato
You get a hiss with all speakers to a certain extent, but it shouldn't really be heard unless you have your ear close to the speaker.

From what I can gather, they have USB and 3.5mm auxiliary input. Have you tried the 3.5mm and disconnected the USB cable?

If you still get hissing when using 3.5mm from the sound card rather than USB; what about trying them with a smartphone or tablet?

Connecting to a mobile device is best to test them. Rules out whether the noise is coming from the PC and whether it's a problem with the speakers.

If you still get hissing whether the speakers are connected to anything (including mobile devices) or not, then you may have been unlucky to receive 2 faulty sets (possibly from a bad batch).

Associate
OP
You get a hiss with all speakers to a certain extent, but it shouldn't really be heard unless you have your ear close to the speaker.

From what I can gather, they have USB and 3.5mm auxiliary input. Have you tried the 3.5mm and disconnected the USB cable?

If you still get hissing when using 3.5mm from the sound card rather than USB; what about trying them with a smartphone or tablet?

Connecting to a mobile device is best to test them. Rules out whether the noise is coming from the PC and whether it's a problem with the speakers.

If you still get hissing whether the speakers are connected to anything (including mobile devices) or not, then you may have been unlucky to receive 2 faulty sets (possibly from a bad batch).

Sorry for delayed response,
I hear the sound even when leaning back in my chair,
I get the hissing as soon as the speakers get power, weather its connected to the PC or not, and these speakers are supposed to be conneted via usb, though I see a possibility for an adapter, I don't belive it would make the already present hissing sound disappear.

I guess its looking like I have a faulty batch, as thats the only scenario which seems likely by this point.

I have contacted Creative for any final solutions then may have to get them returned if all else fails.

Thanks for the replies!

Soldato
Interesting contrasting user reviews on the US site of a competitor compared to the UK site. Only 12 reviews on the UK site, but all are 5*. US site however, 3* from 50 odd reviews.

Suggests Creative do have some quality control issues with these.

Associate
I get the hissing as soon as the speakers get power, weather its connected to the PC or not, and these speakers are supposed to be conneted via usb, though I see a possibility for an adapter, I don't belive it would make the already present hissing sound disappear.

I guess its looking like I have a faulty batch, as thats the only scenario which seems likely by this point.

I have contacted Creative for any final solutions then may have to get them returned if all else fails.

Thanks for the replies!

Hi there,

I'm having this exact same issue. Could you tell me how you solved it or what happened? Would really appreciate it.

Associate

Thanks for the replies!

Hey, I'm also interested to know if you ended up RMA-ing the speakers? If so, did the replacement set have the same issue? The hissing is loud enough to annoy me. If all units have the same problem I will just get a refund

Associate
So I have the same problem as the op. After contacting Creative they could not confirm if that was a problem or not unless I send them my speakers, I went back to the shop I got them from and they could not clarify if that was a problem or not after contacting Creative themselves but they gave me a new kratos s5 which has the same problem. Either I'm unlucky or that's the way they are.
I would like to see if someone else had this resolved.

Soldato
Put the volume up on the computer as high as possible, if there is still back ground noise then there is an issue. If interference is with both line in and USB, then it suggests it's in an issue with the amp side of the active speakers.

If you can i would return them and add money towards something better. I know that sounds a bit harsh but some of the Edifier 2.0 systems will be better quality for not much more money.

Last edited:
Associate
After some more research it seems this is something I have to live with and it is a shame because the sound is very good for the 90 euros I spent on this. To be honest I might just get something else like the edifier m3600d or if you could recommend something else on that price range?

Soldato
Shiryou21, if your hearing background noise when you sitting back in chair that's to much. I would return them if you can.

Just had a look at m3600d's, they will be what they are given the money. I expect they will be better then the Creatives mentioned in this thread.

I run some of these, but with the satellite speakers replaced for bigger speakers. There plenty good enough for desktop solution but there not the same as quality hi fi units, as always you get what you pay for, these also are well over your budget.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edifier-s530d-2.1-speakers-145-w-rms-sound-system-sp-006-er.html

The big issue with 2.1 is the satellite speakers are to small, so you don't get accurate mids. I personally think for around £100 your better getting some Edifier 2.0 speakers. For around £100 there are not many quality options really.

Associate
Hi i had same problem with hissing noise. The problem was hardware. The soldering quality of capacitors on the pcb board was very bad. after resolder, hissing noise gone speakers are perfectly quiet.

Associate
Just got a set of these 2 days ago after my old Phillips 2.1 set died after about 15 years of use.

I wanted a new set that day so didn't do much research and just bought whatever set I thought would be mid range price and quality, and also didn't want any noticeable noise from them either so spent a little bit more option for the S5 over the S3s.

Mine updated with firmware and they are very quiet for me, I have a noise dampened PC with Be Quiet fans, etc, so my PC is quiet and I can definitely hear any extra noise.

My speakers are completely silent at idle up to at least 50% volume on the speaker volume control, but at 100% you can hear a very quiet sound that isn't really a hiss, it almost sounds like a very gentle breeze that you have to get close to to really hear it at the level it would be intrusive.

Set at 50% on speaker control volume I can pump it up to 100% on the computer with no extra hiss/breeze sound at idle. At around 50% on the speaker control and 30% on CPU there's no hiss and they're very loud.

Have them connected via USB and I'd like to test them with a 3.5 connector to soundcard but don't have the cable right now, my motherboard's the Rog Strix Z390 which has good on board sound already, but with headphones through the S5's I have noticed clearer quality sound when gaming.

So overall, I'm happy with my set of these as someone who does notice and can't abide loud hardware noise. Maybe they've improved or I got a lucky set of these.

Back
Top Bottom