The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
I have had to copies of the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 now. The first one was really not sharp at any aperture, and the second one it was swapped for is still significantly less sharp than my Sony FE 85mm f1.8. Disappointing, considering all of the hype around it. :(

Soldato
Shot my first wedding with it yesterday, this camera is just on another level, it gives me so much more confidence in getting the shot and knowing in getting the shot. I feel that if I miss focus it’s my fault whereas with the Canon I often don’t understand why it miss focus.

That's good to hear - it was the main reason I changed camera. The 6D I had I couldn't seem to get focus bang on - I'd think I got it on the camera, then in post you realise its off.

Can you see yourself using the Sony as a main any time soon?

Soldato
Shot my first wedding with it yesterday, this camera is just on another level, it gives me so much more confidence in getting the shot and knowing in getting the shot. I feel that if I miss focus it’s my fault whereas with the Canon I often don’t understand why it miss focus.

That's the beauty of mirrorless, it just inspires more confidence. The random missed focus shots just rarely, if ever happen.

The prices of the 70-200 and 100-400 keep me from moving to Sony (especially as the 70-200 is top dollar but not particularly well though of by some). I expect Tamron/Sigma to bring something out in those areas eventually, but Maybe Canon or Nikon might have a FF mirrorless by then... The waiting game sucks when you have GAS :D

Soldato
How do you mean AF was affected? As in AF couldn't keep up at 20fps on the a9?

From what I've gathered, adapted lenses won't work at 20fps in C-AF (only the first shot will be in focus, it won't track the subsequent shots) you have to use the low FPS setting. This is from YouTube, reviews and forums. I don't have the camera.

Soldato
I have had to copies of the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 now. The first one was really not sharp at any aperture, and the second one it was swapped for is still significantly less sharp than my Sony FE 85mm f1.8. Disappointing, considering all of the hype around it. :(

Lens copy variation seems quite high with Sony? The 35mm f1.4 is another that varies which is disappointing for such an expensive lens. Certainly makes you wary of the second hand market.

Associate

Was considering picking one of these up now the price has dropped slightly and the cashback deal is now on again.... giving me 2nd thoughts.

Caporegime
That's good to hear - it was the main reason I changed camera. The 6D I had I couldn't seem to get focus bang on - I'd think I got it on the camera, then in post you realise its off.

Can you see yourself using the Sony as a main any time soon?

You know, it’s tempting, the more I use it, the more I’m used to it the more that needle swings. Above all else I need a camera and system that I can rely on. This A73 is my way to dip my toes into it to cut through all the (often) internet hype to see it how it does in my world, as opposed to taking someone else’s word for it.

It’s currently blowing most of the doubts away and creating some doubts for Canon.

Associate
Was considering picking one of these up now the price has dropped slightly and the cashback deal is now on again.... giving me 2nd thoughts.

It's supposed to be one of the very best, it would seem more likely Richdog was unlucky with those copies. If the 55mm doesn't suit there's still always the 50mm f/1.4 ZA! :D

Associate
Are you telling us that an A7III won't let you do things that the original A7 can't? That you can't take better photos with it relative to the sitution? Of course you can.

Both positions are valid though, having a better tool doesn't suddenly make you a master craftsman but that doesn't diminish the value of a better tool even if a master could still get the job done with a rusty nail.

You both know that though, it's aimed at beginners where they need a snappy one line bit of advice to digest quickly/simply so they have a better chance of starting off on the right foot or at least not spending a fortune on a system they won't get better results with until they get a little experience.

Caporegime
Both positions are valid though, having a better tool doesn't suddenly make you a master craftsman but that doesn't diminish the value of a better tool even if a master could still get the job done with a rusty nail.
The difference is that one is factually correct and possible, and the other isn't. It's basic common sense that shouldn't even need to be stated.

Caporegime
No harm in trying it as long as you can swap it if you're not satisfied. Just have to make sure you buy fro a place with good customer service, preferably with a physical store local to you.

Caporegime
I can see you're having a hard time accepting that others have a different opinion to yours. It's just a camera thread, my dad probably wouldn't be able to use my A7III and would take better photos on his point and shoot.

The technology just enables you to execute the ideas you want, sometimes the limit isn't the capability of the camera.

Caporegime
First proper impression of the A73 after shooting a wedding. I went nuts with this camera, I think I shot 50% (or more) on this with the 50 Zeiss than I ever did with this focal length for like ever. Partly because the rooms and spaces I was in lean itself to suit this focal length and partly because I was finding the focusing absolutely incredible.

I came away wanting another body and the 35/1.4 so I can shoot dual A73….the focus tracking on this is incredible, I was on a double decker bus and shooting people looking at the bus as we went past them at 30mph, I had more hits than miss even in that situation which was insane. Eye focus did fall apart at night though when the light was low but face detection still worked. I mean it isn't perfect, looking closely on the computer I would say what you can tact sharp on the eye is around 50%-80% depending on the situation, which is higher than the Canon. So if I shoot 2, one of them would be in focus, whereas with the Canon I end up shooting like 6-8 to ensure I get one.

4KKFLI9.jpg

SlRb6ra.jpg

ccPnGLk.jpg

d2b58A3.jpg

kAT97GM.jpg

2HJPGZr.jpg

Soldato
Like it a lot, colours look great!

The hype is tempting me away from m43 but the cost to change over is eye watering.
Now that I've made the full frame switch for wildlife to Sony I'm also going to have to resist the temptation to move from Olympus m4/3 to Sony for everything else, the cost would be tremendous. As it is I shall almost certainly sell the 300 F4 Pro as that is now somewhat redundant.

Caporegime
Like it a lot, colours look great!

The hype is tempting me away from m43 but the cost to change over is eye watering.

It's not hype, it's reality. The latest generation of Sony cameras are simply phenomenal in almost every way that matters.

If you want to switch then do it while your M43 is still worth somethig because it's not going to go up in value the longer you leave it.

Caporegime
I can see you're having a hard time accepting that others have a different opinion to yours. It's just a camera thread, my dad probably wouldn't be able to use my A7III and would take better photos on his point and shoot.

The technology just enables you to execute the ideas you want, sometimes the limit isn't the capability of the camera.

So in summary, we are repeating the obvious and re-phrasing "a camera is just a tool and it doesn't immediately make you a better photographer.".

In other news, chocolate melts when heat is applied. :p

Clearly I was wrong to say you both knew.

What you said was essentially placatory fluff.

Soldato
First proper impression of the A73 after shooting a wedding. I went nuts with this camera, I think I shot 50% (or more) on this with the 50 Zeiss than I ever did with this focal length for like ever. Partly because the rooms and spaces I was in lean itself to suit this focal length and partly because I was finding the focusing absolutely incredible.

I came away wanting another body and the 35/1.4 so I can shoot dual A73….the focus tracking on this is incredible, I was on a double decker bus and shooting people looking at the bus as we went past them at 30mph, I had more hits than miss even in that situation which was insane. Eye focus did fall apart at night though when the light was low but face detection still worked. I mean it isn't perfect, looking closely on the computer I would say what you can tact sharp on the eye is around 50%-80% depending on the situation, which is higher than the Canon. So if I shoot 2, one of them would be in focus, whereas with the Canon I end up shooting like 6-8 to ensure I get one.

4KKFLI9.jpg

SlRb6ra.jpg

ccPnGLk.jpg

d2b58A3.jpg

kAT97GM.jpg

2HJPGZr.jpg

OI BUGGER OFF this is the A7rrrrrr mk3 thread ;) ;) ;)

Back
Top Bottom