Need some new headphones

Associate
So my HD598s are getting a bit grubby and long in the tooth, wanting to upgrade to a new pair of headphones. I've got a ModMic so a built-in mic isn't a must and have a Xonar Essence STX to power anything.

Recommendations?

Soldato
I agree, the K712 is an absolute steal at it's current price and the STX will drive them well.

I would have also recommended the HiFiMan HE400i as they are still selling for £180 but with so many yoke failures from the December onward batch it's a bit of a lottery - seems I was lucky, I got mine just before the batch with the bad plastic hit the market and mine are still solid and crack free :)

Associate
OP
How is the AKG rated as a "gaming" set of headphones? This will be their sole use, I presume all directional audio will be handled by the STX like it currently is?

Soldato
I agree, the K712 is an absolute steal at it's current price and the STX will drive them well.

I would have also recommended the HiFiMan HE400i as they are still selling for £180 but with so many yoke failures from the December onward batch it's a bit of a lottery - seems I was lucky, I got mine just before the batch with the bad plastic hit the market and mine are still solid and crack free :)

Have to agree with Rids. Very pleased with my Hifiman, just a shame that the yolk broke. That said, customer service was superb and sent my a Sundara headband from China inside four days.

The AKG price is a steal. So much so they arrive on Wednesday...

Soldato
How is the AKG rated as a "gaming" set of headphones? This will be their sole use, I presume all directional audio will be handled by the STX like it currently is?
K712 is one step below absolute top in competitiveness.
That fun above neutral bass punch makes details less easy to distinguish with simultaneous low frequency sounds than in neutral bass K702.
Which is ridiculously cheap for sound quality quality with its current pricing.

Soldato
... but that extra bit of bass does make explosions sound a lot better - I guess it depends on whether he wants them for competitive FPS and nothing else, in which case get the K702, or more general gaming and get the K712.

the OP could have course just get the K702 and do the bass port mod (removing two internal sticky pads) which adds around 5db down in the lower bass.

Soldato
Only issue I had with the k712 was the fit, they always seemed loose but I did get them 2nd hand so maybe previous guy had a larger head.
With that said I thought they sounded great, more so than the hd650s I replaced them with. The only issue is if you want to use them with something like a phone as they're very hard to drive

V F

V F

Soldato
... but that extra bit of bass does make explosions sound a lot better - I guess it depends on whether he wants them for competitive FPS and nothing else, in which case get the K702, or more general gaming and get the K712.

the OP could have course just get the K702 and do the bass port mod (removing two internal sticky pads) which adds around 5db down in the lower bass.

That wasn't what I read. They said if you got the same pads from the K712 and put them on the K702 the treble was relaxed and more bass.

Associate
OP
I don't play any super competitive games that rely on pinpoint sound positioning so the slightly "inferior" K712 seems a better choice for myself. Most competitive I ever get is an occasional foray back into CS:GO matchmaking before remembering how dire I am.

Soldato
That wasn't what I read. They said if you got the same pads from the K712 and put them on the K702 the treble was relaxed and more bass.

... which is quite different to the bass port mod. The K712 has memory foam / gel pads, which increase the quantity of the mid bass while the bass port mod affects the lower bass, giving them more of a rumble...

eETs8sR.png

Back
Top Bottom