The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Will they fix the fan with that cost ? It was making a louder than normal noise, no idea

Like I said until I speak to solicitor on Monday I don't know what will happen yet, on a side note I put in a phone line/ broadband order today , if it doesnt go through then I could cancel and get a refund aslong as I give some notice. Starting to get real now. Also starting to sink in that my savings are going to drop lol

Need to wait for some cash back and bonus to come in, get through first months higher mortgage amount then start topping up savings again, may do some light decorating room at a time and fix stuff but the bigger stuff won't be until next year most likely

Last edited:
Soldato
best to decorate before you move stuff in, so much easier!

I don't have a lot to bring to be honest with you. I had a mass clear out when I moved from a rented place in to another about 4 months ago so pretty light. My plan is to build up. Things like sofa etc is already there (which i will be using for now) kitchen table and chairs etc , most other stuff I can just move to the middle of the room and cover up when decorating.

Soldato
Looking like another month till we get moving which is dissappointing.

We went yesterday to measure up a few things. The garden is lovely (we viewed originally in January when everything was dead).

It was a massive shame going out for a run in the afternoon, thinking how nice the weather was and stopping off on the way home for a few beers, only to get home and realise we have no sun in our little yard and the wife had put washing out which meant i had barely any space. Actually contemplated putting the chair in the alleyway between our house and the one behind!

Associate
Congrats :cool: Have you got building insurance in place? Just in case :)
Andi.

I didn't even think about that! Is it worth getting now?

I was gonna look to sort out everything (Water,Gas Elec, Net, insurance etc) a few weeks before we moved.

The only phone call I have made is to get BT to confirm they have UltraFast available at the property.

Soldato
I didn't even think about that! Is it worth getting now?

I was gonna look to sort out everything (Water,Gas Elec, Net, insurance etc) a few weeks before we moved.

The only phone call I have made is to get BT to confirm they have UltraFast available at the property.
If its a new build it is likely to be at the seller's risk until completion but as with everything, check your contract. Can't hurt to have your own insurance in place anyway its going to cost you pennies in the scheme of things insuring for an extra month.

Associate
We've been advised to get insurance for the new place from date of exchange as seller is apparently liable from then as they have a vested interest in the property.
Not sure if it's all insurance policies but my one with AXA covers current and future properties for 30 days from exchange date (if you're selling to buy obviously. )

Soldato
I think it becomes the buyers responsibility at exchange of contracts, but check with your solicitor. Really not worth the risk.
Andi.
For normal properties yes. However the majority of new build contracts specifically state it will be at the seller's risk until completion. Makes sense considering they are often not even built yet!

Soldato
I'm planning to do mine on the week leading to exchange/complee so pretty soon, still aiming for end of month. At the same time do life and critical illness.

I have already placed broadband order. I'm possibly going to go with bulb as my electric/gas supplier however there is currently gas/electric there the agent will.need to take a last reading then I can either do what I want with it I guess, I think they are with eon currently. Water I just need to ring up and setup account..easy enough ,

Soldato
For normal properties yes. However the majority of new build contracts specifically state it will be at the seller's risk until completion. Makes sense considering they are often not even built yet!

Just received my contract in the post today from my solicitor and it does indeed state that insurance is on the developer until completion. It's fully built though as it's the show home but I was quite relieved to see that as we don't complete until October!

Associate
Exchanged yesterday. Pickup the keys next Friday. Luckily both sides were chain free, so it has been pretty smooth sailing.
Could've completed sooner, but I had an exam to study for and she had a lodger that needed to find another place to stay.

Offer was accepted on the 19th of Feb after viewing it on the 17th.

I also established contact with the vendor, by posting a card with my details. I knew the estate agent wouldn't pass them over. As soon as she got the card she sent me an email.
Having direct contact and cutting out a middleman (estate agent wasn't impressed when she found out) has made it much easier to co-ordinate stuff.
YMMV on this one, as we appear to have quite a lot in common with the woman selling the house and the age gap isn't too big.

Regards to solicitors, my original solicitor was the head of the department, so was generally busy. We only spoke on the phone once. Emails would take a little bit longer to get a reply. I didn't attempt to call because I knew she was busy. The more people that call in to chase stuff up, the less they can get done.
She eventually left for maternity leave, and passed my case over to one of the younger girls in the office. It's obvious she isn't under the same workload, so will reply pretty quick.
Overall I haven't really had any complaints, because I'm realistic about the workload. Same situations can appear in IT if you're getting bombarded with loads of incidents/calls.
Any contact I have with the solicitors, I try to make sure I'm asking everything I need to in one go, to cut down on the back and forth. I also read up on it to know what stages I was supposed to be at, so I knew what needed to be done, so I didn't have to ask many questions.

This thread has definitely helped too!

Pickup the keys on the 25th, then straight onto the re-decorating.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71438138.html

Soldato
Had a nightmare with the solicitors, generally slow and bad communication but more so issues with our HTB ISAs (from solicitors side not the government).

Not realising we had them (when they were told several times and in writing), telling us to close them too late and having us run round like headless chickens trying to get our closing statements. We're completing tomorrow and thankfully everything seems in place now.

apg

apg

Associate
My partner and I are halfway through the purchase process. Has been relatively smooth thus far, we knocked down our offer slightly after receiving the homebuyers survey and should soon be at the stage where we received the fittings and contents form and then the exchange of contracts. The vendor has no forward chain so hopefully it shall'nt be a long process now.

Soldato
however there is currently gas/electric there the agent will.need to take a last reading then I can either do what I want with it I guess, I think they are with eon currently. Water I just need to ring up and setup account..easy enough ,

On move in take your own readings, and take (ideally datestamped) photos of the readings. This prevents any sillyness around 'mis-read' meters.

Back
Top Bottom