Anyone use nicotine on purpose for "cognitive enhancement" and the like?

Wise Guy
Soldato
I started using nicotine gum a while ago to help with what has now been properly diagnosed as ADHD. It worked quite well, I'd jump and and just do stuff instead of procrastinate. It helped me communicate and articulate and just think faster and clearer. Then I switched to vaping for a while but it was too much hassle so I experimented with other things. Gingko, ginseng, rhodiola, eleuthero, caffeine, l-theanine, pycnogenol, fasting, keto, etc. etc. Nothing really worked.

Then I found out about Swedish Snus and as an ardent swedophile I tracked some down to give it a try (it's legally sold but hard to find here). Sweden has the lowest cancer rate in the Europe BTW, thanks to snus. It's the safest form of tobacco. The ones I got were the minis, typically used by women :p. I popped one in and a few minutes later I had this grin on my face for no reason. Everything was great. And I've been using it nearly every day for the last 3 or 4 years. Usually combined with coffee or energy drinks. My tolerance got up to using the heavy duty ones all day long. I'd estimate the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigs a day. A year ago I got prescribed literal amphetamines for ADHD but I like snus much better to be honest. Tobacco is just a do-all drug. Sometimes it's a stimulant, sometimes it's a depressant. It's neuroprotective against Parkinsons. It brings up your alpha waves (makes you creative). It boosts testosterone, lowers reaction times, suppresses appetite. It does A LOT of things. And not just nicotine but also the other alkaloids within the tobacco plant.

Anyway I decided to quit and it's been a month now nicotine free but I still don't feel myself and cant think straight. It definitely helped with cognition but without killing creativity (it improved it if anything).

Wise Guy
Soldato
OP
You got ADHD? get doctor to prescribe you that sweet Adderall.

I take adderall thats why I'm quitting tobacco, caffeine, etc. to get to baseline to see how adderall works by itself. But I dont get any kind of mood or cognitive boost from it, just focus. It makes boring jobs less boring. It shuts down creativity though. I think snus works better for the stuff I do. Tobacco is scientifically proven as an actual cognitive enhancer. Adderall, modafinil, ritalin, etc are borderline they dont improve cognition in most people just stop you day dreaming basically.

Associate
Nicotine is indeed used as a cognitive enhancer, usually through the use of lozenges. I have used the lozenges myself for that purpose, and I'm not a smoker and never have been.
The problem is tolerance. It will eventually stop working, aka 'poop out'. Caffeine is the same. Eventually you will just be taking either or both to stop the withdrawals, and won't have any of the cognitive effects. I think nicotine is also an antidepressant, and coming off it will probably be putting you back in a depressive state, probably in a worse state than before you even touched the stuff due to the withdrawals.

Caporegime
ohh well as long as you reckon :rolleyes: you've seen an autistic person before, right? you think they're putting that on or something? hahaha jesus wept

B@

Actually it's funny you should say that, because my brother has ADHD and two very close friends have kids who are on the spectrum, so I have a fair amount of experience. My point was that many use it as an excuse when their kids are simply misbehaving, and that I think it's very commonly misdiagnosed.

Next time try using your other brain cell, this one's wearing out.

Soldato
Actually it's funny you should say that, because my brother has ADHD and two very close friends have kids who are on the spectrum, so I have a fair amount of experience. My point was that many use it as an excuse when their kids are simply misbehaving, and that I think it's very commonly misdiagnosed.

Next time try using your other brain cell, this one's wearing out.

To be fair the way you phrased your sentence was giving the impression you think the conditions don't exist as opposed to some people using a condition to excuse their child's poor behaviour, you can't really blame him when you've poorly conveyed your point

Caporegime
To be fair the way you phrased your sentence was giving the impression you think the conditions don't exist as opposed to some people using a condition to excuse their child's poor behaviour, you can't really blame him when you've poorly conveyed your point

Go away. You and your logic.

dFlciwR.jpg

(You're totally correct. I apologise @B@Th*nG)

Caporegime
Isn't ADHD just the modern excuse for kids being disruptive and noisy?

Arguably, yes... depends where they want to draw the line. From say a French perspective then very much yes... especially US kids, 95% of them wouldn't be diagnosed as having the condition if they happened to live in France.

Associate
Sweden has the lowest cancer rate in the Europe BTW, thanks to snus.

Lowest total cancer rate across the board? Because of this product? Or lowest lung cancer rate?

There's a huge difference, but pinning overall total cancer rates being lower due to this one prduct completely undermines proper epidemiology studies. I think you want this to work for you, so it will. Enjoy the placebo

Back
Top Bottom